Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland's Top Natural Tourist Attractions

• 28-05-2012 10:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭

Hey guys.

Can we get a thread going to state all of the best, must-see attractions in Ireland?

I was blown away by Glencar Waterfall in Leitrim a few weeks ago, and realised I haven't explored but a fraction of this country's treasures. I am hoping to take in many of Ireland's natural wonders over the summer and beyond.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated and the more detail you can give for each destination, all the better

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

I enjoyed the Giant's Causeway immensely, the coastline in that part of Antrim is stunning. Just has to be seen really.

Not impossible to do it in a day trip but I'd definitely recommend staying overnight, if not in the immediate vicinity then you could look at staying in Belfast.

Well worth a trip IMHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭TheBa

Savman wrote: »
    I enjoyed the Giant's Causeway immensely, the coastline in that part of Antrim is stunning. Just has to be seen really.

Not impossible to do it in a day trip but I'd definitely recommend staying overnight, if not in the immediate vicinity then you could look at staying in Belfast.

Well worth a trip IMHO.

Thanks Savman, that's exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for! Anything else nearby that warrants a visit if I go up for a night or two?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

inishowen is probably irelands best kept secret, great empty beaches (one at culdaff, another across the lough foyle in derry magilligan strand (easily accessible by the ferry at greencastle http://www.loughfoyleferry.com, some stunning scenery such as malin head, mamore gap, military museum at fort dunree

its very easy to combine a trip to north antrim with inishowen/derry city

achill island is also well worth a visit, deserted village, keem bay, irelands tallest seacliffs, atlantic drive, the incredibly slow pace of life that sheep walk down the road of villages there undisturbed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

Kylemore Abbey in Connemara is a really lovely spot. It's very scenic and looks like a fairy tale castle above a mirror-perfect lake. The tour of the Abbey itself is quite short but the 1 mile walk to the Walled Victorian Gardens is beautiful, with little ponds with row-boats and water-lilies... The garden is quite proper and manicured but there's a lot of other walks around the garden; the cafe there also has a fab view over the area and surrounding mountains (hills).
    This time of year is gorgeous up there, thanks to the bright pink azaleas blooming alongside the roads and on hilltops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭franc 91

I don't know how athletic you are but the path that goes up and along the top of Sliabh Liag/Slieve League in Donegal is worth it - there's a road up from Teelin - you can stay at the Slieve League Lodge in Carrick. It's the highest seacliff walk in Ireland.
    Unfortunately there's no longer a youth hostel there, but the mouth of Killary Harbour at Roscoe is incredible - I see there's now an Adventure Centre at Derrynasliggaun west of Leenane (Co.Galway) so there's plenty to do there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement