Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VERY load screeching noise from a Mark 3 Golf

Options
  • 28-05-2012 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Ok so here’s my problem. A VW Golf, Mark 3, 1.4, 1997, 110,000 miles. It’s a loud screeching noise. When it started, you could only hear it while driving, as you had to reach almost 3000reves before you’d hear it. It kept getting worse over time, and eventually she gave up, and left me stuck, she just cut out and wouldn’t start. I towed her home. She starts now, but has an awful scream from her even when idle. This noise would almost melt your brain, it’s that loud. She also has absolutely no power, can’t really be moved as she would just cut out.
    I removed the fan belt, and it’s still the same, so it’s nothing there, nothing on the timing belt ether I don’t think. Any thoughts?? Thanks in advance. ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭puzzle factory

diarmaid21 wrote: »
    Ok so here’s my problem. A VW Golf, Mark 3, 1.4, 1997, 110,000 miles. It’s a loud screeching noise. When it started, you could only hear it while driving, as you had to reach almost 3000reves before you’d hear it. It kept getting worse over time, and eventually she gave up, and left me stuck, she just cut out and wouldn’t start. I towed her home. She starts now, but has an awful scream from her even when idle. This noise would almost melt your brain, it’s that loud. She also has absolutely no power, can’t really be moved as she would just cut out.
    I removed the fan belt, and it’s still the same, so it’s nothing there, nothing on the timing belt ether I don’t think. Any thoughts?? Thanks in advance. ;)

make a video of it and throw it up, could be anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Could be seized bearings in the fan belt pulley.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 diarmaid21

Thanks guys, here's a link to two videos, one showing the screeching (which is a lot louder in real life, just don’t think my mike could hack it) The other is of me putting the accelerator down to the ground, and as you can see, she can’t go past 2000 revs, and eventually cuts out....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdxtKJwNFRI&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q05oZsM-jo&feature=youtu.be

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Does it make a difference if the clutch is in/out?

Just checked there, it makes no difference at all if the clutch is up or down. Hal1-I guess it is possible that the bearings could be seized, I'l check that later on in the week..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Hmm.... so prolly not gearbox related. But cuts out at >2K RPM - other bearings? Big-end.....?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭alanmc

What's the oil situation like? The Mk3 Golf probably doesn't have an oil pressure gauge, and I couldn't really see from the vids if the oil light was on.

Hi alanmc, Oil is grand i remember checking that...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

You could remove the accessory belts, one at a time, see if it goes.
    Obviously if you remove the water pump belt you shouldn't run more than literally a few seconds. Don't drive anywhere without putting them all back etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Possibly the alternator pulley. I replaced one recently in a friends VW. Common failure in the v dub.

• Advertisement

One of the 1st things I done was take the belt off the alternator, water pump ect. When the belt was off, the noise was still there, so it couldn’t be the alternator pulley?? The only other belt in her is the timing belt, as far as I know? Would the next step be to check the actual pulleys and beyond, to see if there are any bearings gone, or seized??

Advertisement