Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Abolish the off side rule.

• 28-05-2012 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭

Too controversial.

The game needs more goals.

I would love to see score lines of 6 5. 7 8. etc.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,594 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Xenophile wrote: »

Too controversial.

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Too controversial.

65 - 78 would be some game dont think it would be possible though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Doesnt work forces teams to leave their back 4 on the 18 yard line for all of the game. Nightowls and Astro.ie dont have offside. All it will do is create space in the middle of the park. Which oddly isnt as much fun as you would think. its like playing 5 a side on a 11 a side pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Dear god no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Why? The underdog jammying a 1-0 is one of the great things about football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Too controversial.

Basketball may be your game, rather than soccer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

The OP wonders about a game where marginal offside calls are no more and attackers are constantly in goalscoring positions.

In reality, it would be disastrous. The game would be all about box to box stamina midfielders with tall strikers standing alongside the opposition's back four along the 18 yard box. A different game and a far inferior one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Im a keeper and have played in the nightowls/astro.ie league as Dreamers has mentioned, where there is no offside. IMO its a total disaster, there is very little shape to the game and forwards could just sit up front hatching all game. There was no point in keeping the shape with a back 4 as forwards could literally stand on my toes all game.

Where the no offside rule really effected me was at direct free kicks. Was almost pointless setting up a wall as the opposition just put a player standing directly in front of me, which resulted in a crowded 6 yard area. Then the opposition just smashed the free towards goal and hoped for the best. If there was no offside rule in professional football the game would turn into a farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Bad idea.

Although they do need to clarify the rules on offside though. It's a pretty grey area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

The offside rule is the very one that makes football any good as a sport. Otherwise it would just be a bunch of lads kicking the ball from one box to the other and the biggest, strongest team would win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Are you Pippo Inzaghi?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Luap

Carroll would be the best in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Almost as genius an idea as the lad on 606 the other day who said we should get rid of penalty shootouts and instead decide games on who had played the least amount of backpasses over the course of 120 minutes.

He was deadly serious too.

• Site Banned Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Ares

On the topic of rule changes I've a new one I want introduced myself.

Its called the Drogba rule.

If a player needs treatment on the field, he must wait three minutes before reentering, goalkeepers excepted.

If he has a geniune injury then the three minutes can be used for recuperation/treatment.

If not his teammates and manager won't be long telling him to get the fúck back up because they don't need to be unnecessarily short of numbers.

Everyone wins.

Ares wrote: »

If a player needs treatment on the field, he must wait three minutes before reentering, goalkeepers excepted.

If he has a geniune injury then the three minutes can be used for recuperation/treatment.

If not his teammates and manager won't be long telling him to get the fúck back up because they don't need to be unnecessarily short of numbers.

Everyone wins.

Is this the night of really ill-thought out rule proposals?

Penalising a player who been fouled by giving him an effective 3 minute binning. Really?

Is this the night of really ill-thought out rule proposals?

Penalising a player who been fouled by giving him an effective 3 minute binning. Really?

Not fouled. If he requests treatment then he takes a sit down for three minutes.

Only the geniunely injured will request treatment.

If a player moves to the side of the pitch and seeks treatment there, he may come back on withour a time penalty, as long as he doesn't hold up play to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Are you Pippo Inzaghi?

*Filippo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

What would Chicharito do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

*Filippo

?

Thats a nickname for him!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

Beating the offside trap is a serious skill in soccer and when someone like Messi does it, we all admire it.

Rather than spoil the game, it enhances it. Keep it.

Everyone wins.

Jesus Christ, this is actually the stupidest thing I've ever read. Even more stupid than the OP. You want to punish players for being fouled if their treatment doesn't last 3 full minutes? FFS. Can people not enjoy football as it is without always trying to change it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭tvercetti

Too controversial.

The irony of Andy Carroll liking this post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

tvercetti wrote: »
    The irony of Andy Carroll liking this post.

He scored 19 goals for Newcastle in his last season I will have you know.

Did even demba ba beat that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Too controversial.

Alternatively just makes nets bigger and then give each goal a rating out of 100 for quality. Then you'd get scores like 65.78

CSF wrote: »
    Jesus Christ, this is actually the stupidest thing I've ever read. Even more stupid than the OP. You want to punish players for being fouled if their treatment doesn't last 3 full minutes? FFS. Can people not enjoy football as it is without always trying to change it?

Who said anything about fouled. I'd say about 96.3% of all fouls don't require treatment in reality. If the player is geniunely injured a substiute will enter or else the player gets the treatment he needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

plasmaguy wrote: »
    He scored 19 goals for Newcastle in his last season I will have you know.

Did even demba ba beat that?

He scored 11 in his last season

Who said anything about fouled.

Em thats usually how players get injured and require treatment.

Who said anything about fouled. I'd say about 96.3% of all fouls don't require treatment in reality. If the player is geniunely injured a substiute will enter or else the player gets the treatment he needs.

Which may be a 30 second bandage round the head, or 60 seconds to sort out the dead leg he received.
    But no, he has to stay off for 3 minutes leaving his team down to 10 men, after he has been the one fouled.

It really is a ridiculously large hammer to crack a very small nut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,992 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Lets go with square footballs as well!

Shorter shorts for the women

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

33 teams at the next world cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Goalies can throw knives at opposition players as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭POSSY

John Terry to be allowed give relationship advice to black team-mates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

*Filippo
    Yes. Pippo. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

He scored 11 in his last season

Form is temporary, class is ... I'm class right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Everyone wins.

great idea

until you have teams down the bottom who have 10 minutes left on the clock at 0-0, or perhaps even a goal up, against one of the top teams, and decide that their best chance of winning is to get lads who haven't been booked yet to kick the opponents' best and most creative player. very hard. 4 times one after the other.

or they could get really clever and kick both their forwards taking them out of the game for 3 minutes at a time, then kick them again once they've come back on

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

Everyone wins.
    Thats what stoppage time is for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

adox wrote: »
    Basketball may be your game, rather than soccer.

6-5 & 7-8 would be crap basketball matches :pac: & soccer :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Defending players should be able to blow strikers knee caps off if they stay in the same spot for more than 20 seconds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

CSF wrote: »

Everyone wins.

Hmm, your response validates his complaint. Why does a foul automatically require treatment. The vast majority of the time players are able to get back up yet they don't, why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Everyone wins.
    Thats what stoppage time is for.

That is the problem though, referees are really bad at managing the clock. That would be my rule change in this area: the clock is managed by a dedicated time keeper at the top level.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    That is the problem though, referees are really bad at managing the clock. That would be my rule change in this area: the clock is managed by a dedicated time keeper at the top level.

We already have one of those

ferguson-watch.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Shorter shorts for the women

Ah sepp....

Advertisement