Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dark Days in Italy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Good for us. Anyone who's seen Il Divo or read In God's Name will know that corruption seems to be endemic in Italy, almost a national trait

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Won't be much longer before the same happens with regards to players playing at a high level in the UK.

• Site Banned Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Ares

markesmith wrote: »
    Good for us. Anyone who's seen Il Divo or read In God's Name will know that corruption seems to be endemic in Italy, almost a national trait

When did a collection of iSwiss, French, Spanish and American opera singers become synonomus with Italian corruption? :confused: :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Ares wrote: »
    When did a collection of iSwiss, French, Spanish and American opera singers become synonomus with Italian corruption? :confused: :pac:

Tis the sorrentino movie I believe (and its excellent)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Ares wrote: »

Google, son. Google.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Ares

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Tis the sorrentino movie I believe (and its excellent)
    markesmith wrote: »
    Google, son. Google.

It was a joke, a poor one but a joke none the less. I should have gone with the saw them in the O2 last year, didn't seem much corruption at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

This is seriously bad news for Ireland to be honest.

Last time Italy was under focus for match fixing, they only went and won the world cup, with a pretty average side, just so everyone would forget about the match fixing.

We are screwed, no wonder Trap isn't happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Paully D wrote: »
    Won't be much longer before the same happens with regards to players playing at a high level in the UK.

hope this isnt inside info like the jordan henderson story

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

Police have taken action in Italy.Some players involved have been picked in squads for the european championships and have already been dropped apparently

http://english.gazzetta.it/Football/28-05-2012/betting-scandal-conte-also-under-investigation-mauri-and-milanetto-arrested-911368330318.shtml

about friggin time, the whole Italian leagues should be cancelled for a few years tbh and restored as a 'gamble free league'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

plasmaguy wrote: »

Last time Italy was under focus for match fixing, they only went and won the world cup, with a pretty average side, just so everyone would forget about the match fixing.

We're going to beat them 0-0, just you wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

At least the Italian authorities are working against it.

I don't see the Spanish government act on it, or many Eastern European ones for that matter.

Italy is really not the only country where this happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

plasmaguy wrote: »

1982 also...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    1982 also...

Forgot about that, must put some money on mauri getting the golden boot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

One of the lads I live with over here told me last night that the cops have moved in on Juve now, seizing computers and documents etc. This image might explain why:

536495_466689933358015_145556222138056_1709234_353917795_n.jpg

3 teams are now implicated; Lazio, Juve and Udinese - all of whom qualified for Europe this year or won major honours.

Uefa need to step in and impose harsh, lengthy European bans on teams found guilty of this crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Really genuinely believed that Juve would have learned their lesson after a season in Seria B last time. Nothing confirmed yet of course, would be unbelievable if they've left themselves open again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Neil3030 wrote: »
    One of the lads I live with over here told me last night that the cops have moved in on Juve now, seizing computers and documents etc. This image might explain why:

536495_466689933358015_145556222138056_1709234_353917795_n.jpg

3 teams are now implicated; Lazio, Juve and Udinese - all of whom qualified for Europe this year or won major honours.

Uefa need to step in and impose harsh, lengthy European bans on teams found guilty of this crap.

There doesn't appear to be any link to Juve matches, and none of the players mentioned were at Juve at the time of their supposed transgression.

However, the story is sickening. Do you remember the Genoa-Siena match where the ultras made fans remove their jerseys? One Genoa player appeared to stand up to the Ultras, and was praised for it.

That was Sculli, who it has now emerged was photographed with one of the leaders of this group while he was still a Lazio player. Criscito was also in the photo, along with a leader of a Hungarian crime syndicate.

Life bans and prison sentences for anyone found guilty, and none of this statute of limitations bollocks that has kept Berlusconi, Andreotti and Moggi out of jail.

I just watched a video interviewing some Lazio fans about the scandal (their captain and idol Mauri is among the arrested). One made the very valid point about how disgusting it is that in a country going through a crippling financial crisis, these people who already earn a very, very healthy wage can sully the name and reputation of a club and sport in which the average, working man invests so much of his time and money.

Edit: Hadn't seen your location, hope you're okay after the quake this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

carlop wrote: »
    However, the story is sickening. Do you remember the Genoa-Siena match where the ultras made fans remove their jerseys? One Genoa player appeared to stand up to the Ultras, and was praised for it.

I think that was because his uncle is a godfather in the local mafia and the fans were afraid to go near him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

carlop wrote: »
    There doesn't appear to be any link to Juve matches, and none of the players mentioned were at Juve at the time of their supposed transgression.

That was Sculli, who it has now emerged was photographed with one of the leaders of this group while he was still a Lazio player. Criscito was also in the photo, along with a leader of a Hungarian crime syndicate.

Life bans and prison sentences for anyone found guilty, and none of this statute of limitations bollocks that has kept Berlusconi, Andreotti and Moggi out of jail.

I just watched a video interviewing some Lazio fans about the scandal (their captain and idol Mauri is among the arrested). One made the very valid point about how disgusting it is that in a country going through a crippling financial crisis, these people who already earn a very, very healthy wage can sully the name and reputation of a club and sport in which the average, working man invests so much of his time and money.

Edit: Hadn't seen your location, hope you're okay after the quake this morning.

Yeah man, cheers, I didn't feel anything at all, but the damage up in North Emilia is scary. I was actually on a train that went through San Felice sul Panaro on Sunday and saw all the damage from the first quake. So sad that they were hit again so soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

I think that was because his uncle is a godfather in the local mafia and the fans were afraid to go near him.

That might be a factor, but the fact they had fixed the result of a football match together the previous season probably came into it too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

James ACjimbo Richardson has an article in teh Grauniad

• Advertisement
Advertisement