Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice on taking time off work for medical issues?

Options
  • 28-05-2012 11:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭

I am due to return to work soon after been out for a few weeks due to having an operation. I will need to take several days off over the next few months (for tests etc) as I need to be monitored closely. I heard through other collegues that my boss isnt happy about missing more days in the future. What can he do about it?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

If you are on a permanent contract there is not really anything he can do about it as far as I know. If you're sick, you're sick. Your boss should not be pressuring you - you're hardly doing this by choice.

Does the company have a sick leave policy?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

If you are on a permanent contract there is not really anything he can do about it as far as I know. If you're sick, you're sick.

not strictly true. If it is deemed you are unfit to carry out your duties you can be dismissed - even if it is due to illness.

It depends on the employer and the nature of the business. For some employers it is more hassle to have someone come back to work gradually,for example returning part time and building up to full time. For them its easier to have a temp in. Others would love an employee who despite being unwell is happy to return to work on a gradual basis. It all depends on the company and the nature of the business, and as RacoonQueen says, your sick leave policy.

I would start by checking out the policy. Perhaps avoid the chinese whispers from colleagues, as this is only hearsay and quite frankly they could have the wrong end of the stick altogether - the boss might just be stressed, and yes you taking more time off adds to this, but that is not to say that the boss 'blames' you directly or has a problem with you needing time off. This hearsay really isn't helpful to anyone and could end up in a situation where an employee off sick dreads returning to work because they are afraid of a negative atmosphere.

If it were me, I would talk to the boss directly. Prior to your return to work arrange for a 'return to work' interview. Explain that you are happy to be back at work and ready to return to your duties, but that you will still require some flexibility. Propose a method for you taking time off that is least disruptive - perhaps propose flex time if it is not already in place, see if there is any way you can arrange cover for the dates you are out of the office, as much as possible give plenty of notice of the dates you need off, and if your appointment allows, only take the hours required to attend (i.e don't take a day off when a half day will do)...basically anything that will show your boss that whilst you do need time off, you are willing to cooperate in order to ensure work runs as smoothly as it can, and that you are happy to be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

chargerman wrote: »
    I will need to take several days off over the next few months (for tests etc)
    You could help alleviate any pressure by offering to take those days off as annual leave days.

If you're sick, you're sick
    "If you're unfit, you're unfit". It works both ways. An employer is entitled to have an employee who is "fit for purpose".

Advertisement