Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New bus eireann buses ?

• 28-05-2012 11:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭

Are there new bus eireann buses ? Has anyone been on them? I was on their website and their express buses from galway to dublin, galway to cork has new buses. With more space, wifi and even charging points on the buses so you can charge your laptop.

Has anyone been on them yet?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Yeh, so what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Have passed out a few in my nice comfortable car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Buses are for poor people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

vicwatson wrote: »
    Yeh, so what?

So what? You can now pass three hours on a bus without your laptop battery dying, thats what.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

They'll have to sell off those fancy new buses pretty soon and replace them with cattle trailers pulled by battered Massey Fergusons

• Advertisement

So what? You can now pass three hours on a bus without your laptop battery dying, thats what.

Buy a new damn laptop battery :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

They have wi-fi :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

wifi and even charging points on the buses so you can charge your laptop

expensive gimmicks, how about instead of wasting money on crap like this they use the money to buy more buses or employ more drivers and provide a better service rather than useless wifi and a plug or two

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

mikemac1 wrote: »

With wifi and laptop charging points this poor lark doesnt sound too bad to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭recyclebin

I was on one of these hungover on Sunday. They still have no leg room or air conditioning which made the journey feel like hell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

expensive gimmicks, how about instead of wasting money on crap like this they use the money to buy more buses or employ more drivers and provide a better service rather than useless wifi and a plug or two

So one work the wheel and one work the pedals sitting in each others laps ?? Thats crazy talk, you'll have us all killed !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

Would it be possible to drive just ahead of said buses and use their free wifi?

As a passenger in a passing car I mean (compulsory Health & Safety warning) not suggesting anyone try and do this while they are driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

As a passenger in a passing car I mean (compulsory Health & Safety warning) not suggesting anyone try and do this while they are driving.

Drive-by wifi-ing? Madness!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

Pfft, not surprised they can afford fancy new busses, have you seen their prices? In a word, extortionate.

Using Bus Eireann is soooo 1999

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Just follow it instead. So much easier.

Yep, they do exist. Saw a 2012 reg bus (sporting a Wi-Fi sticker) outside Busaras on Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Just follow it instead. So much easier.

Yeah just turn on the cruise control and it will follow it. you won't have steer or brake. just take out the laptop and get some free internet.

That's how cruise control works, riiight?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

irish-stew wrote: »
    Have passed out a few in my nice comfortable car.

And you get stuck in traffic jams just as much in your 'nice comfortable car' (actually more as buses can avail of bus lanes), and while car drivers can do nothing but sit and stew in traffic...maybe listen to the radio- on a bus you can just relax and listen to your MP3, read a newspaper or book, or go on your laptop and get some work done or play a game, watch a movie, go on boards.ie...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 85 ✭✭rKossi

Bus ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Wifi is great if they turn off the ****ing music

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

Been on a good few new ones. Wifi took a while to be picked up. Less leg room than the older buses. Plugs by most (not all) seats.

Only decent perks are the seats are more comfy and there's less of a smell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

So providing wifi and laptop charging points isn't improving the service provided then? The wifi is pretty good actually, and is quite stable.

This is typical auld moany shite thats become the irritating hallmark of this place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 ClosedAccount

bscm wrote: »
    Been on a good few new ones. Wifi took a while to be picked up. Less leg room than the older buses. Plugs by most (not all) seats.

Only decent perks are the seats are more comfy and there's less of a smell.

Yeah I heard the scum class don't get plug points.

So providing wifi and laptop charging points isn't improving the service provided then? The wifi is pretty good actually, and is quite stable.

most reports on the C&T forum say it's terrible or patchy at best. With most people having 3g devices it's largely irrelevant anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

If I was going to Galway for the day I would get the bus if it had internet and chargers. I assume prices haven't changed?

If I was going to Galway for the day I would get the bus if it had internet and chargers. I assume prices haven't changed?

what would you do otherwise?

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Captain Morgan Freeman

It's a band aid for the bullet wound of ridiculously high ticket prices.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Great about time, i often travel on buses and it can be very boring looking out the window all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

The charging points are the most important thing. My laptop is old and needs to be plugged in the whole time plus screen is brighter.
    Do the seats have drop down table to hold laptop?

what would you do otherwise?

Drive...

Drive...
    so for 1h 10 mins extra each way you take the bus over driving for a bit of internet (not to mention travel times to from Busaras)

so for 1h 10 mins extra each way you take the bus over driving for a bit of internet (not to mention travel times to from Busaras)

2h30mins each way and EUR18 return (student price).
    Plus you can relax and sit on the internet and no hassle of driving for the same price as the fuel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

It is about as quick to go from Galway to Dublin using either GoBus or CityLink's non stop service (which run every hour) than driving, plus it costs about a third of the price in fuel, and there's no tolls to worry about (the tolls alone would constitute half the price of the ticket), or parking, or the Luas, or anything.

The journey time is supposed to be 2 hours 30 between Dublin city centre and Galway coach station, but in reality if there's not a lot of traffic, this can be done in about 2 hours 20.

Why would you bother driving?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

chin_grin wrote: »
    Drive-by wifi-ing? Madness!

I've heard they're doing it now over in LA. There's a huge poverty gap there though there still. In South Central LA they're all out about the drive by shootings but up in Beverley Hills people have moved onto drive by wifi-ing. Both cases though still very very tragic :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

The 109 and 109a have shiny new buses. Too bad i drive my car to work ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

I hope that they have a better service now. Not an hour long wait on the Dublin to Limerick route. Where the bus you get is some old school bus that they hire because they don't what to the route that hour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

most reports on the C&T forum say it's terrible or patchy at best. With most people having 3g devices it's largely irrelevant anyway.

So you haven't even tried it but are knocking it? :rolleyes:

Ah the C&T forum, where CIE can do nothing right, and everyone has a much better way of doing things whilst ignoring the realities of running a transport company. Considering the popularity of the wifi service its is hardly largely irrelevant, BE released statistics on its usage by passengers and its quite high. Interesting results for something thats a mere "gimmick" no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭blackwhite

It is about as quick to go from Galway to Dublin using either GoBus or CityLink's non stop service (which run every hour) than driving, plus it costs about a third of the price in fuel, and there's no tolls to worry about (the tolls alone would constitute half the price of the ticket), or parking, or the Luas, or anything.

The journey time is supposed to be 2 hours 30 between Dublin city centre and Galway coach station, but in reality if there's not a lot of traffic, this can be done in about 2 hours 20.

Why would you bother driving?

All well and good if you are only going from Galway city centre to Dublin city centre.

Bus is great for point to point, but once you want to go anywhere that isn't directly on the bus route, the car becomes more and more advantageous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Correction

Poor People
    Blind People
    Old People with serious health issues
    Children heading to/from school
    Junkies

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭AeoNGriM

A watch for the feckin drivers would be handy...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

AeoNGriM wrote: »
    A watch for the feckin drivers would be handy...........

lol a class in basic good manners wouldn't hurt either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

I'm the man behind the voice heard when the luggage doors are opened or closed.

"Stand Clear Luggage Doors Operating".

Chosen from a cast of thousands for my authoritative culchie accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

I was getting these lovely new buses in the morning, and then the fools had to crash two of them into each other up in Broadstone, so we're getting the rattliest, most disgusting buses ever while they fix them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

A lot of Cork City Double Deckers have wifi on board stickers!
    Seems totally pointless to me.

Who takes out a laptop on a city bus???

Also, most smartphones and tablet devices have fast 3G.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭ian87

Sergeant wrote: »
    I'm the man behind the voice heard when the luggage doors are opened or closed.

"Stand Clear Luggage Doors Operating".

Chosen from a cast of thousands for my authoritative culchie accent.

"Stend clee-ar, luggij doors operaaaaaaaaaaating" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

ian87 wrote: »
    "Stend clee-ar, luggij doors operaaaaaaaaaaating" :D

All it's short of saying is the Garda classic : veh-heee-heee-ikle

Solair wrote: »
    All it's short of saying is the Garda classic : veh-heee-heee-ikle

Shtayyy Awayyy De veh-heeee-ikle is ravershin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Dnn't forget the smellies.

• Advertisement
Advertisement