Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letter to Heaney due to come up?

• 28-05-2012 11:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭

Do people think that a letter to Heaney is due to come up in English? If so, would you attempt it?
    If the answer to the question is yes how would you structure it? I would not be too keen on it as one has to address both Mr.Heaney and his poetry. Of course the latter cannot be too in-depth as Heaney probably knows his own similes and metaphors ...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

If a letter comes up for any poet do you need to go into detail about their poems, or is it all just personal opinion? I suppose they would probably expect us to discuss aspects of their poetry that appeal to us, otherwise it would be fairly unstructured and 'waffle'-ey. Hmm. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Have they/would they ever do that? Seems a bit silly considering how much time we spend on P2 doing poetry? :L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Izymunz

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Have they/would they ever do that? Seems a bit silly considering how much time we spend on P2 doing poetry? :L

I think they have done something similar in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭smithy77

It came up in 2003.

'Dear Seamus Heaney,

Write a letter to Seamus Heaney telling him how you responded to some of his poems on your course. Support the points you make by detailed reference to the poems you choose to write about.'

I don't know if they'll bring it up again for any poet, purely because it seems to general. Unless they make the content for the letter specific. Looking at the trends in the exam papers the poetry questions from early 00's are very general but now there very specific unfortunately for us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

That seems like it'd be a personal response essay but in a letter format. My teachers given us sample answers a few have been letters. They're usually just personal response but you use the letter format. An you're writing the letter to whichever person. I wouldn't mind that question but I'm going to avoid answering on Heaney.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Haha, thats weird! Doesnt look too difficult though considering the B parts only have to be 1.5-2 pages. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Awkward if you're writing the address and you completely forget what country the poet's even from. :pac:

Advertisement