Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Melodic Hardcore???

Options
  • 28-05-2012 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Do people who love the original "punk" scene and all of that appreciate the genres hardcore furthermore melodic hardcore as a progression of punk??

Just an opinion thread I guess, interesting one to find out what people think! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

No

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Parkwaydrive

You, my friend, are a dick!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

You asked for opinions and call people dicks for not agreeing with you?

No.

dregin wrote: »

No.

What he said. If you want the answer to the question to be "yes", then call people "dicks" when the answer is "no", then you're asking the wrong people.

Oh! The answer is no anyway. Too many hardcore bands are just sub-standard bad heavy metal bands who just haven't figured out enough chords to be fully fledged bad heavy metal bands yet.

dregin wrote: »

No.
    Absolutely not, but most people are friendly on this. You clearly aren't. I didn't want to offend anyone, you could've given a reason.. It doesn't matter..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Mr. Grinder

'Melodic Hardcore'? There's no such thing...Call it by it's true name, 'Edgy Pop music'.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

No to original OP and that's not to say I only like original Punk and not the various forms that has sprouted since....I just dislike some.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Brunteaphile

'Melodic Hardcore'? There's no such thing...Call it by it's true name, 'Edgy Pop music'.

Exactly, Hardcore is Hardcore aka Thrash Metal.

Take your melodies to the Indie Forum with the other ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Exactly, Hardcore is Hardcore aka Thrash Metal.
    Are you saying hardcore punk doesn't exist or that if it does exist that it's thrash metal?

Thrash would be more on the metal side of things. Metallica's 'Kill 'em all' album as an example (that was before they tuned into a cabaret band incidentally).

Harcore Punk would be, The Exploited, GBH, Discharge, etc.

And original 80s Hardcore would be more, Madball, S.O.I.A.,Bad Brains, Minor Threat & Agnostic Front.

That would be my understanding anyway (people may disagree tho'). :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

That's my understanding too which is why I'm confused as to how the two distinctive genres are being described as the same thing.

THIS IS BOSTON, NOT LA!!!!!!!!!!!!

\m/

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Brunteaphile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Its certainly 90s NYHC. Which tended to be a bastard child of Oi, metal and 80s HC.
    Ignite would be a good example of a melodic hc band to me. H20 also.
    HC has a lot in common with good trash from back in the day.

Class!

@Bombidol. There's deintely spillage form thr vaious genres, but back in the mid 80s when hardcore was at it's peak there was nothing that could be considered melodic per se. I mean, it started as a counter against that hair metal which had become so sanitized and happy.

Ignite, as an example you used. I still don't consider them HC, they would be some kind of off shoot, or post hardcore. In fact, I see a lot of the nineties stuff (not all to be fair) is just 'post hardcore'.

Well it really depends on your definition of hardcore. Bands like Dag Nasty etc could be termed as melodic hardcore and they were 80s. Its all evolution really, I consider Ignite a hardcore band as their roots are in that genre, they just had a singer who could actually sing and went down that route. H20 evolved from Sick of it all as Toby was a roadie and tech for them for years and was encouraged by them lads to get involved. Listening to Agnostic Front from the start with stuff like victim in pain, then up to Riot Riot upstart etc theres a MASSIVE difference in vocals.

I hear what your saying man...I've no problem with certain nuances that every band has, or individuals bring when they migrate. It's always going to happen and that's not a bad thing. :)

But for me personally, I'm really into old skool HC, and when it changes for the bad, then it just becomes 'post HC'. Even tho' you could say it's an evolution. However, I don't think that 'evolution' is necessarily a good thing. Especially in underground music. Because when it gets a bit more of a following, or becomes 'cool', it's nabbed by musicians that often tame it down, and loose what it was about in the first place... :(

Just look at Punk for example. My god some of the bands that call themselves Punk these days would be better at a school disco.

Now, I have no problem with bands who want to be melodic or screamo (ugh!) or whatever. While I dislike the sound, it's none of my business what some own else wants to play and enjoy.

But I do have a problem with them claiming to be Punk or Hardcore band especially when it's just a watered down version, and after standing on the back of giants.

I mean, a lot of these bands call themselves 'Punk', but really, it would be much more honest to call themselves 'pop punk' a la Blink 182, etc. At least then they are being honest. Not that they would ever do that of course, 'case it wouldn't' be as 'cool'.

That's my thinking on it anyway...:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAFUjYAkpzU
    Would anyone here consider that to have even evolved from hardcore??

Probably? I don't know much about hardcore, but they sound a lot like some of the bands that frequent moshspace... so, yes?

Speaking of which, saw this last night. Pretty DAYCENT!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

Bang Bros are deadly. SAVAGE video too. Madball are Madball, and if Madball were to form now they would sound like Counterpart as thats what modern hardcore sounds like. Terror etc. MUCH more metallic but hey, thats evolution for you.

Also, its been said before but Gotta go by Agnostic front is a reworking of a Warzone song.

bombidol wrote: »
    Bang Bros are deadly. SAVAGE video too. Madball are Madball, and if Madball were to form now they would sound like Counterpart as thats what modern hardcore sounds like. Terror etc. MUCH more metallic but hey, thats evolution for you.

I guess that's the thing tho', innit... 'Modern Hardcore' isn't really old school HC, so it's all technically 'post HC', and therefore, it's really formed into its own genre.

For me tho', it will never be as good, but it's all subjective anyway... :)

I dunno' if I agree with you on the Madball thing. Because there's still quite few bands emulating the old skool sound. Plus, given Madball's early roots and all... If I was ever to form a band again, it would definitely go the old school rout - Maybe along the lines of early Suicidal (nothing like their 'Join the army stuff' stuff tho'!!!).

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

im a massive fan and collector of early 80s hardcore bands like the fix,circle one, jerrys kids ,the f.u's,government issue,the offenders it is an accuired taste i just love the aggression and rawness of it,not too pushed on modern hardcore,well maybe judge

Nice one Beano! :)

I should point out too that there's some really good Irish bands still doing old style Hardcore too. 'Complan' would be the definitive Irish HC band for me, these guys are great! And Corrosive Machine are up and coming, and one people should keep their eyes on.

I always liked Famine, but they broke up. Only Fumes and Corpses are awesballs too.

I did love Coitus and early Coldwar as well...:)

i always kinda associated melodic hardcore with rites of spring,husker du and the minutemen, there was an old irish hardcore band called black belt jones dont know if there still about

• Advertisement

im not knocking judge but this is whats called hardcore nowadays,its a very broad term a lot of bands get lumped into the category

i could kinda see the progrresion with these lads

but to me these is hardcore

2.10 turn your speakers down....:D

Advertisement