Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Melodic Hardcore???

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭xMac Kellx

Have Heart, Verse and The Carrier (earlier stuff) would be actual melodic hardcore bands.

People describe a lot of chug chug metal type bands as melodic hardcore but that's just not truth.

Some hardcore bands are just a coin flip away from being metal bands, though. Cliched to say but hardcore is really about more than the music. Def incorporates attitude etc etc

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

xMac Kellx wrote: »
    Def incorporates attitude etc etc

And flannel shirts!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

love an oul flannel shirt myself

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭MSVforever

Nice Hardcore from Berlin.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zHhKDZ_Qgw

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭dubbeat

'Melodic Hardcore'? There's no such thing...Call it by it's true name, 'Edgy Pop music'.

Bad Religion ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Mr. Grinder

dubbeat wrote: »
    Bad Religion ?

Errrr...Pop Punk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Bad religion are not pop punk. I dont even like em, but pop punk? come on.

Pop punk to me mate... No disrespect intended here. I can't stand them...
    That's not to say, that other people can't like them of course, it's just my opinion.

But to me, the Exploited/GBH, etc. are proper Punk, not bands like Bad Religion. Same goes for HC as I've already said.

To me, all that stuff is lumped under Post punk or Post Hardcore. Sorry, none of you can convince me otherwise. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 29 AaronPunk

I know a lot of people hate Bad Religion, but I really like them.
    They're the band that got me into music in general when I was 14, so if it wasn't for them I wouldn't really be listening to real music now and would probably be stuck listening to mainstream pop ****e.
    While I'll admit not every one of their albums have been great, I have a lot of respect for them.
    But that's just my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ElvisChrist6

I grew up with punk, original punk (not in the period, but with the music), and do get a bit fidgety when people call things punk that clearly aren't, but at the moment, hardcore punk would probably be what I listen to most. What I consider hardcore punk (that is, thrashier punk in some ways, but mostly angrier, heavier punk) would be bands like Black Flag, The Exploited, early Corrosion of Conformity, Cryptic Slaughter, DRI (even though some would say Crossover Thrash isn't punk) and Dublin's Crows as these bands are very easily distinguishable as punk bands - the progressions, themes, the anger. I don't think there's any denying the UK82 bands or the American hardcore bands were punk, though The Exploited did become a solely crossover band, and though there is still some similarities to punk, I don't think they're a punk band anymore.

However, melodic hardcore, I would not consider punk. I mostly think it's awful in any case, but that's just my taste. I don't really see punk in them, I'd say it's a different type of music influenced by punk. To me, it's pop music with more distortion. I'd be more than willing to accept early hardcore, crust punk and all of that, but not melodic.

Edit: Also, what some people call hardcore these days is nothing but whiny emo crap... some call it post hardcore, but it still makes finding new real hardcore bands somewhat trickier... very annoying...

I grew up with punk, original punk (not in the period, but with the music), and do get a bit fidgety when people call things punk that clearly aren't, but at the moment, hardcore punk would probably be what I listen to most. What I consider hardcore punk (that is, thrashier punk in some ways, but mostly angrier, heavier punk) would be bands like Black Flag, The Exploited, early Corrosion of Conformity, Cryptic Slaughter, DRI (even though some would say Crossover Thrash isn't punk) and Dublin's Crows as these bands are very easily distinguished as punk bands - the progressions, themes, the anger. I don't think there's any denying the UK82 bands or the American hardcore bands were punk, though The Exploited did become a solely crossover band, and though there is still some similarities to punk, I don't think they're a punk band anymore.

However, melodic hardcore, I would not consider punk. I mostly think it's awful in any case, but that's just my taste. I don't really see punk in them, I'd say it's a different type of music influenced by punk. To me, it's pop music with more distortion. I'd be more than willing to accept early hardcore, crust punk and all of that, but not melodic.

Edit: Also, what some people call hardcore these days is nothing but whiny emo crap... some call it post hardcore, but it still makes finding new real hardcore bands somewhat trickier... very annoying...

Sums it up nicely for me...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

I think you need to have a more open mind about what punk is. I'd still consider some of the earliest emo and post-hardcore bands as punk, what gets labelled as 'emo' and 'post-hardcore' these days is far from what those terms originally meant and far from punk. Take bands like Embrace, Rites Of Spring, Moss Icon and later The Nation Of Ulysses, they incorporated melody and intelligent and confessional lyrics into their sound and were still carrying the punk spirit. By the late-80's hardcore punk had already descended into cliques, those bands went against all that and did something different at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ElvisChrist6

Zero1986 wrote: »
    I think you need to have a more open mind about what punk is. I'd still consider some of the earliest emo and post-hardcore bands as punk, what gets labelled as 'emo' and 'post-hardcore' these days is far from what those terms originally meant and far from punk. Take bands like Embrace, Rites Of Spring, Moss Icon and later The Nation Of Ulysses, they incorporated melody and intelligent and confessional lyrics into their sound and were still carrying the punk spirit. By the late-80's hardcore punk had already descended into cliques, those bands went against all that and did something different at the time.

You're right when you say the early emo bands were punk, but it became a commercial thing and that's what I consider to be emo - I know the term was comandeered from real punk bands, but I almost forget it most of the time. I grew up with that term meaning something completely different, it's hard to get it out of my head that the term relates to that new stuff!

Advertisement