Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What fascinates you?

• 28-05-2012 11:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Anything that just can't know enough about? doesnt matter how big or small or what it is, mine would be stuff like

Space, its mind boggling how insignifigant we are in the universe, we're nothing, a speck on a speck somewhere in a galaxy, look at this picture:

http://djer.roe.ac.uk/vsa/vvv/iipmooviewer-2.0-beta/vvvgps5.html

thats 1% of our galaxy, and it contains over a billion stars. there are approx 300-400 BILLION stars in the galaxy. and thats one galaxy. then this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e4/HubbleUltraDeepFieldwithScaleComparison.jpg

is the Hubble ultra deep field, which is over 10,000 galaxies, each containing up to billions of stars themselves. mind=blown.

Photographs, such an everyday thing, we all carry phones with cameras now but imagine the world before photohraphs. you carry a small piece of equipment that could capture something that could become an image future generations will look at. the Photos That Shook The World thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055750426

is one of the best threads on boards, there's some stunning images, both haunting and disturbing in there, some were shot off the cuff and have become iconic. its crazy to me how a moment in time can be captured on something tangible and physical.

The sea, only a tiny percentage of it has been explored by man, its inhospitable to our species yet it has the greatest amount of life on the planet in it. from barely visible organisms to something like the blue whale, its a good thing we still dont have massive sea creatures like in prehistoric times, 50 foot sharks? no thanks : http://orangemonk.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/megalodon_scale1.png

obligatory AH answer: bewbs, cos who doesnt find them fascinating.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

2012 Bus Eireann Buses with wifi and laptop sockets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Women.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

krudler wrote: »
    Anything that just can't know enough about? doesnt matter how big or small or what it is, mine would be stuff like

Space, its mind boggling how insignifigant we are in the universe, we're nothing, a speck on a speck somewhere in a galaxy, look at this picture:

thats 1% of our galaxy, and it contains over a billion stars. there are approx 300-400 BILLION stars in the galaxy. and thats one galaxy. then this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e4/HubbleUltraDeepFieldwithScaleComparison.jpg

is the Hubble ultra deep field, which is over 10,000 galaxies, each containing up to billions of stars themselves. mind=blown.

Photographs, such an everyday thing, we all carry phones with cameras now but imagine the world before photohraphs. you carry a small piece of equipment that could capture something that could become an image future generations will look at. the Photos That Shook The World thread:

is one of the best threads on boards, there's some stunning images, both haunting and disturbing in there, some were shot off the cuff and have become iconic. its crazy to me how a moment in time can be captured on something tangible and physical.

The sea, only a tiny percentage of it has been explored by man, its inhospitable to our species yet it has the greatest amount of life on the planet in it. from barely visible organisms to something like the blue whale, its a good thing we still dont have massive sea creatures like in prehistoric times, 50 foot sharks? no thanks : http://orangemonk.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/megalodon_scale1.png

Yeah, all of that ^^^
    Except boobs - they're kind of boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

My balls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

get out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

fig rolls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

krudler wrote: »

Stoned Again :rolleyes:

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Folks who part with actual real money to see Twink sing songs about the menopause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Got to use a proper telescope the other day and saw Saturn. The fact that I was looking at least 1.2 million km through space and could clearly see it, it's rings and its moons was simply mindblowing. Space definitely fascinates me. It's pretty damn awesome.

Not really sure what else 'fascinates' me though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Crimbouser

Language, the human mind, nature and towie. Ah na, joking about the last one-swear

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I wouldn't know anything about that type of thing I'm afraid but I do love little kittens - they're so soft and furry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

How the Internet works and the material make-up of common items.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

Yeah, all of that ^^^

What? Boring? No they're not! Go get a girlfriend and you'll see (or if you already have one, I'm sure she's very insulted!).

I'm endlessly fascinated by Science in general. Space, as was mentioned, but also just the mass of knowledge we have acquired and are still acquiring throughout our time on the planet. It's mind boggling!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Travelling the world and experiencing different cultures, I love exploring new countries that I visit, walking around the place with a big fascinated head on me gawking at everything I see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Yes all that but not boobs, more of a leg man myself.

What fascinates me is that I'm living in the future I imagined when I was a kid. Smart phones are amazing. I was near something called the 'Small Crane' recently. My son said. 'What that for, Daddy'. Instead of making something up I reached for my 'communicator', sorry smart phone and asked it what it was. There it was complete with pictures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

The seaside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

What? Boring? No they're not! Go get a girlfriend and you'll see (or if you already have one, I'm sure she's very insulted!).

Flutterflye?
    Pink bunny avatar?
    Finds boobs boring?
    Hmmm.... And you think I'm a guy?!!
    I'm neither a guy, or a lesbian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Microbiology is the f*cking bomb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Diego Maradona

Mirrors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Airplanes. I actually think they're amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

Flutterflye?
    Pink bunny avatar?
    Finds boobs boring?
    Hmmm.... And you think I'm a guy?!!
    I'm neither a guy, or a lesbian.

:o My apologies, I jumped to conclusions!

You know, there are many guys with girly names and avatars online these days, 'tis hard to tell..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

them space pics get me too. are will really that ignorant to think we are the only planet with life in all that? not saying theres little green men flying about the place but there has to be bacteria, plant life, water in all of that somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

What fascinates me is my youngest son who's still not saying some words properly trying to say something to me and me wondering what he's trying to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Space definitely. It's humbling as you say to think how tiny we are in relation to what's out there. I'm interested in learning more about Physics-I saw a documentary about what's going on in CERN and I found it very interesting.

The beauty and wonder of the natural world and the other species we share our own blue planet with. In particular the most populous insect creatures on earth- ants! I love reading about them and watching documentaries about them. Amazing fascinating creatures with a huge collective intelligence.

The human brain and neurological system, and particularly things that can go wrong with it. Conditions like Tourette's and Alien Hand Syndrome fascinate me. Yes I know, I'm strange :pac:

If I wasn't in my present occupation I would have loved to study neurology.

Frozen Planet, Life and Planet Earth. A perfect blend of the most incredible nature footage, some of the best camerawork and production values ever and David Attenborough. The man is a legend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

I have 500 books downloaded on my Kindle.

I routinely carry 500 books around on my fascinating, beloved, little reader.

That blows my mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Railways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

At the moment, the swallows around my house. Of all the birds I've seen, they really make flying look fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 780 ✭✭✭cheesefiend

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Frozen Planet, Life and Planet Earth. A perfect blend of the most incredible nature footage, some of the best camerawork and production values ever and David Attenborough. The man is a legend.

His new series Kingdom of Plants on Sky Atlantic is brilliant. I think you can watch it in 3D too. My Dad received the Life collection of DVDs for Christmas a couple of years ago - I stole them straight away and he will probably never get them back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Davidson2k9

Where little tiny parts of products are made, eg, parts of your laptop. Where/who actually makes the keys or the hinge things etc.

Dont get me started on the inside of a TV remote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Precision engineering, how things are made, world war 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Rural America, history of fashion, Cold War/nuclear strike survival, dystopian/post apocalyptic fiction, film history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭es-cee

the one thing i'm fascinated about, is music. i can't get enough of it, and can't know enough about it. and quite frankly, i can't remember the last time i went through a full day without listening to some sort of music. absolutely love it, and wouldn't be able to cope without it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

SafeSurfer wrote: »

http://i.imgur.com/a1ZES.gif

• Advertisement

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Yeah Krudler, your post is clearly comprised of the ramblings of a man who has imbibed excessive cannabis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Precision engineering, how things are made, world war 2.

The tv show How It's Made is great. Even if it's something you think you know about. There's always a few things in there where you go "oh yeah, that's how they do that".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

At the moment it would have to be the ever increasing realisation of quantum computers.

Time travel. Not in the scientific Hawking sense but the McFly sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭cocalolaman

I was gonna post your first link before opening the thread. It's really inconcievable just how massive the universe is, and some people think we're the only life out there, even on a microscopic scale..

• Advertisement

Paparazzo wrote: »
    The tv show How It's Made is great. Even if it's something you think you know about. There's always a few things in there where you go "oh yeah, that's how they do that".
    Love that show, the scale of what's needed to give us everyday crap and pieces of plastic tat is amazing.
    Dudess wrote: »
    Time travel. Not in the scientific Hawking sense but the McFly sense.
    Same here, always worried when I meet a girl that she may be my granddaughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

This. That I can press a few buttons on my computer, then press another button, and anyone in the world can read what I typed instantly.

When I wake up five minutes before my alarm on mornings when I need to get up early.

The fact that such a thing as life exists. I'm sure the universe would've got on just fine without it, but it happened.

Goats. They sound just like a person doing an impression of a goat. It's freaky but fascinating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

Your Ma and bubble wrap.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭yuppies

Latest estimate I read for the number of stars in the universe is 300,000 million, million, million (3 x 10^23)!

If you got a penny to represent our solar system, the sun would be like a bit of dust in the centre with the planets like smaller bits of dust, and the nearest star would be 2 football pitches away! Space is fairly empty.

Any mind-bending analogies like this to help us comprehend space, I find fascinating..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 780 ✭✭✭cheesefiend

People fascinate me - specifically the bonds between people. I find people's behaviours and thought processes so unbelievably baffling but also incredibly interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Where little tiny parts of products are made, eg, parts of your laptop. Where/who actually makes the keys or the hinge things etc.

Dont get me started on the inside of a TV remote.
    If a remote broke in my homeplace I'd take it apart to see what's inside and I did that to digital watches too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

What fascinates me?

Fúcking everything on the internet when I'm supposed to be doing something else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 460 ✭✭four18

Shaved Pussy

yuppies wrote: »
    Latest estimate I read for the number of stars in the universe is 300,000 million, million, million (3 x 10^23)!

If you got a penny to represent our solar system, the sun would be like a bit of dust in the centre with the planets like smaller bits of dust, and the nearest star would be 2 football pitches away! Space is fairly empty.

Any mind-bending analogies like this to help us comprehend space, I find fascinating..

300000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 hydrogen atoms in the observable universe, give or take.

• Advertisement
Advertisement