Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

To all you ''Residentent Association'' Types !

• 29-05-2012 12:31am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 460 ✭✭

Please stop this ''We are all in together crap'' and stop dropping crap through my letterbox. If you need a jump start of a morning..just knock !
    No milk ? No problem, just knock !...need a loan ? just knock !
    BUT I dont need to sit around a wonky table being best mates with you forever. Annoy elsewhere or get on a better plane with your partner/family and get down off the soapbox. My 268 piece toolset is there for all your DIY persuits, but I really dont see why we should be best mates just because we share a postal adress/driveway.
    Rant Over
    . Ps I humbly apologise for the error in my spelling of the word ''Resident'' ! I will explain the reasons in my next newsletter which will be distruibed at our next ''CLEAN UP ! Yay !

I cannot correct the spelling in the title, Only the post. The Mod that spots this and corrects same gets an extra star after their name and goes to the top of the class, and may,one day attain a ''SuperMod'' star for paying attention to small detail

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Miserable sod.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

Any chance of a spoon of sugar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭MisterEpicurus

four18 wrote: »
    Please stop this ''We are all in together crap'' and stop dropping crap through my letterbox. If you need a jump start of a morning..just knock !
    No milk ? No problem, just knock !...need a loan ? just knock !
    BUT I dont need to sit around a wonky table being best mates with you forever. Annoy elsewhere or get on a better plane with your partner/family and get down off the soapbox. My 268 piece toolset is there for all your DIY persuits, but I really dont see why we should be best mates just because we share a postal adress/driveway.
    Rant Over.

If only you had the balls to say this to your ACTUAL neighbours.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 460 ✭✭four18

Miserable sod.

My door is always open !! I just dont need to go over to your place and see your holiday pics ! See My post above, Whatever you need, If I have it , Its yours !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

It's not a bad thing OP. Where I live nobody knows anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Whatever you need, If I have it , Its yours !!

I need 5 grand, and some milk.

If only you had the balls to say this to your ACTUAL neighbours.

I have said it !! In a nice way but I really dont want/need to see your second childs 5 month scan !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

and they didn't even ask you for money?

Dudess wrote: »
    It's not a bad thing OP. Where I live nobody knows anyone.
    Thats all I mean !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

My 268 piece toolset is there for all your DIY persuits,

Do you have fork handles?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Do you have fork handles?

I need a blueberry.

I have said it !! In a nice way but I really dont want/need to see your second childs 5 month scan !
    Wait til you get the placenta quiche visit. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

*vom

Had a cowel type moment once !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I was on a residents association before but gave up because the vast majority of other residents were miserable, selfish cunts who would happily take it up the ass from property developers all day long, welshed on paying for services (that they happily used of course) despite having fancy cars and didn't give a tit about the quality of life of others unless they needed something themselves.

I grew up in one of the worst areas of Dublin and the people there had ten times more balls and community spirit than the home owners in the supposedly nice area I live in now.

I never made them look at my baby pictures though, I swear!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Jesus that's disgusting. Feel sick now. I would say hi to my neighbours but that's about it. I'm not in the area long enough to know anyone properly but even when I am the door won't be a free for all welcome wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Tidy towns are coming up

Get your tools ready, I want to see your garden sorted out, trim those trees and paint your walls
    And when you've done that I need you elsewhere to help out

And I need it done by the middle of June

Had a cowel type moment once !
    Simon?

stovelid wrote: »
    I was on a residents association before but gave up because the vast majority of other residents were miserable, selfish cunts who would happily take it up the ass from property developers all day long, welshed on paying for services (that they happily used of course) despite having fancy cars and didn't give a tit about the quality of life of others unless they needed something themselves.

I grew up in one of the worst areas of Dublin and the people there had ten times more balls and community spirit than the home owners in the supposedly nice area I live in now.

I never made them look at my baby pictures though, I swear!

You sure ? Hmmm ! I believe Lucan is fraught with dem !

Simon?

No a skin dat covers the 2.4 childs face...appearently at birth. SEE This is exactly what I mean

• Advertisement

I'm not from Lucan.

I can drop over with some baby pics and scones though.

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Tidy towns are coming up

Get your tools ready, I want to see your garden sorted out, trim those trees and paint your walls
    And when you've done that I need you elsewhere to help out

And I need it done by the middle of June
    +1000 My local area is the exact same and took 5 euro a month from all the households in the estate and I still have no idea where it went really because I don't see anything being done. The same cronies are involved in everything too so you'd have no point trying to get your own ideas across.

I'm not from Lucan.

I can drop over with some baby pics and scones though.
    Go away !!

KKkitty wrote: »
    +1000 My local area is the exact same and took 5 euro a month from all the households in the estate and I still have no idea where it went really because I don't see anything being done. The same cronies are involved in everything too so you'd have no point trying to get your own ideas across.

Its being spent on comittee kom-it-eee meetings

Thats all I mean !
    What do you mean? I'm saying a residents' association is not a bad thing. Better than none.

Paint the typical cronie ! What do they work at ?/ Drive ? Wife/ Brats names ?..Not actual,,,just typical !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Bajingo

Hello Heckles.

What do you mean? I'm saying a residents' association is not a bad thing. Better than none.

Ahh Welcome.. Mr Bond, We have been expecting you ! Please remove all courdroy clothing before proceeding any further and leave all lawnmowers at the door. Thank You

When we had a committee, we always invited people that had concerns like yours to come along and get involved and help out. Sadly, I think they all took sick or died because they tended to disappear off the face of the earth shortly afterwards

• Advertisement

When we had a committee, we always people that had concerns like yours to come along and get involved and help out. Sadly, I think they all took sick or died because they tended to disappear off the face of the earth shortly afterwards

More of the same please ! Gold !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I get the OP's problem, to be fair. A lot of the resident association types, I find, are the type who have too much time on their hands and use it to try and tell other's how to run their lives, or using it as an effort to force people to be their friends etc.

There was one who'd constantly hassle us in a local supermarket I worked in about things she was doing with the association. We didn't give a ****, but customer service meant that we couldn't say that to her. I remember her harassing me about a notice for a local meeting, demanding it be put at a key point of one cash desk (that would've had our merchandisers, who actually contributed financially to the store, hit the roof). I told her she could put it on the notice board like everyone else. She hassled my boss, and his boss, and our head office until she got her way. I took it down a day later. She also shook down a manager for €50 one time after 'forgetting her purse'. Terrible woman.

It's one of those things that, if used correctly, can be a great tool. Unfortunately the nature of it seems to attract bored housewives and/or absolute dickheads looking to make themselves feel important with so little else going on for them. I'm not referring to everyone involved in them, by the by, I'm sure there are plenty who do good work. They're just either a quiet majority or (more likely) a very small minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Residentent, thanks for the rent.

Typical cronies in my area are businessmen, older women whose kids have all grown up and the people who seem to come out of the woodwork when it suits them. I just let them on with it. I'll look after my own patch but I'm not going to be a hypocrite at the same time. I did suggest an idea to get the small kids of the area involved somehow but I know it won't be implemented.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Ah OP - I know not your pain, because with my acreage, the nearest neighbour isn't visible to the naked eye.

Residentent, thanks for the rent.

See OP !

• Advertisement

Ah OP - I know not your pain, because with my acreage, the nearest neighbour isn't visible to the naked eye.
    You Jammy etc ! Oh They also do census work so you, In the back of yonder, They will get You !!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

See OP !

I read it, but my song wouldn't work if I changed it, sorry.

When we had a committee, we always invited people that had concerns like yours to come along and get involved and help out. Sadly, I think they all took sick or died because they tended to disappear off the face of the earth shortly afterwards

residents committees seem to have that effect on people, I can't imagine why:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

People in any position abuse it a bit
    and People like to bitch about people in positions higher then them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

Resident Assoc man he com to my door to ax fer de money !

I say" hello Mr Resident Assoc man what yo want dis money for ?"

"To clean up the communal areas" he reply politely.

"What % of de residents contribute" ? I says

" Not sure orf de top o my head ..but say about 15%" he guess.

"So the 15% is payin to clear up de comms areas an 75% is payin fuck all ?
    I rejoind.

"Would seem so" he said

I shake him by the hand and say"Well you can now fuck off outta here pal...nothin personal !"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Humbug ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Cant believe the "bored housewives" types still exist but clearly they do! I imagine them out painting the little wooden borders on their flowerbeds and baking wholewheat muffins for the neighbours so that they can drop around and have a snoop and look down at you for not having your letterbox painted and having scruffy kids lol

I am lucky to live in an area where there's about quarter of a mile between each house (more or less) so people stay out of your way but having said that, the neighbours are great. They are not in your face but when you need anything you know you can rely on them 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Formosa

"What % of de residents contribute" ? I says

" Not sure orf de top o my head ..but say about 15%" he guess.

"So the 15% is payin to clear up de comms areas an 75% is payin fuck all ?
    I rejoind.

"Would seem so" he said

I shake him by the hand and say"Well you can now fuck off outta here pal...nothin personal !"

And the other 10?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Formosa wrote: »
    And the other 10?

They are paying for something else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,270 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I think it's an awful shame people think this way tbh.

I was raised in a number of different estates and the Residents Associations were quite good when I was a kid: there'd be a clean-up day of the estate once or twice a year where all the kids would help pick up the litter whilst the adults did some landscaping on the common areas etc.; an annual children's party where they'd rent out a bouncy castle, fill us with coke and sweets and let us run riot and an annual barbeque for adults to get locked and get to know their neighbours.

It led to a sense of community, of knowing who your kids were playing with on the road and friendships between a lot of the neighbours.

Now, I always lived in small estates of 20 - 30 houses where it was probably easier to organise this kind of thing than in the monstrous "developments" that sprung up during the 90's so maybe that made a difference. We live in a similar size estate now ourselves and, tbh, if we weren't renting, I think I'd be having a go at setting up a similar residents association to the ones my mother would have been involved with when I was a child.

I think the sense of community in the area you grew up in is a sadly missed part of Irish life from the 80's and, looking at the Diarmuid Gavin Tidy Towns thing on RTE lately, was hoping that maybe the one good thing to come out of this recession might be the resurrection of such community groups.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

Formosa wrote: »
    And the other 10?

Heh heh ! Clean headshot Buddy ! 85% !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Sleepy wrote: »
    an annual children's party where they'd rent out a bouncy castle, fill us with coke and sweets and let us run riot

Couldn't do that anymore

A child hurts themselves and parents would sue you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Sleepy wrote: »
    an annual children's party where they'd rent out a bouncy castle, fill us with coke and sweets and let us run riot

Couldn't do that anymore

A child hurts themselves and parents would sue you
    I was reading about the jubilee celebrations. The last one 80s probably had bouncy castles and a tig of war. Can't now for lack of insurance. If the fsckin queen can't swing it what hope for some estate in lucan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

The amount of shyte they go on with really pi$$es me off too.
    Letters about unsightly grass verges, and how cars shouldn't be parked in this place and that place, and trying to convince everyone to go out and tidy up this saturday at this particular time.
    Fuck off!!!
    I sleep at that time on a saturday!!!

"Don't the council do that anyway?" says I

"yes" he says "but they won't replace the perfectly good street sign with a giant rock with the name carved in it with a little flower bed around it for us."

• Advertisement
Advertisement