Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

To all you ''Residentent Association'' Types !

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 460 ✭✭four18

Yeah in the 80s, you could have a bit of craic with BBQs etc but everything has gone so PC now. Throw insurance issues and the pain in the arse from no 14 and its just not worth the hassle anymore.
    Residents Associations should just die a natural death like klackers and Aztec bars !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

I hate resident association types too. I only ever went to one meeting of our local one as the people at the top table automatically dismissed everyone elses ideas. For instance they were mad to put in speed bumps because they maintained there were a load of boy racers driving in and out of the estate. This estate has no through road it is a big cul de sac so anyone driving in would be a resident or visiting a resident. There was a fair split at the meeting about putting in these bumps with the chairman and the secretary in favour. So it was agreed that a survey would be carried out as to whether or not work should proceed. Less then a week later I arrive home from work to see a bunch of workmen putting down speed bumps outside my house and not a word of a survey.

So in short Resident Associations are run in the main by a shower of little Hitlers who want to tell everyone else how to keep their property.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,270 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Couldn't do that anymore

A child hurts themselves and parents would sue you
    Any reputable bouncy castle hire place would have public liability insurance.

It's depressing that people have become so self centred they're irate at the mere thought of getting out of bed before midday on the weekend to join their neighbours in making the living space they share with them look well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I remember one time I tried to get my family to help me petition for a stop sign at a high traffic intersection in the estate. It was mad, they were supposed to go door-to-door looking for enough signatures to take the issue to the Resident's Association, but they were so caught up in their own minor issues they forgot to do it.

So I showed up at the Resident's Association and they quickly wrote my issue off, more concerned with the chairman's birthday cake than anything else. However, my family ended up showing up at the last minute with the right amount of signatures and they were forced to discuss it. Despite that, they still refused to put in my stop sign! Very frustrating!

You know what I did? I ran for election for town council. There was even a debate with me and the head of the Resident's Association that was televised for community TV. But it went horribly, my partner ended up getting questioned extensively about our bedroom activities (there was one time on Valentine's Day were they ended up trying to surprise me with a hotel room and ended up naked in a senior citizen's room after getting the wrong key, which made them look like a sex pest). The video of the debate went viral. Someone even auto-tuned it into a song. Very embarrassing.

Despite that, I dusted myself off and election day came. It was tough and embarrassing: I lost a tooth during the day and sounded completely drunk during a local radio interview, not to mention my brother and his partner making fools of themselves while in a car with a loudspeaker trying to win me votes. So I wasn't that surprised that I lost.

On the bright side though, I found out that my daughter (who's really pretty but really dumb) was on a waiting list for college that day. And, later on, the head of the resident's association put a stop sign where I had originally wanted one. Now getting people to actually pay attention to it, that's the next challenge. We need speed bumps. To be continued...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭_HULK_SMASH!

hmmmmm...sounds familiar.....now where..hmmmmm...

South Park?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

I say residents committee, they say vigilante mob.. Go figure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

You think that's bad? In America the HOA's have had peoples houses Taken off them for not paying their dues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

When I lived at home we had a very nosy resident's association. My mam would end up peeking out the window and then telling us not to answer the door sometimes because she didn't want to be forced into cutting the green or painting the communal pineapples or whatever the fcuk.

I've lived in apartments since I moved out and there's always been peace. I never see any of my neighbours, its absolute bliss. I don't think I'll live in a real house again if I can avoid it!

• Advertisement

RichieC wrote: »
    You think that's bad? In America the HOA's have had peoples houses Taken off them for not paying their dues.
    Part of a management company set up or a condition of the lease on the property etc?

Can imagine some management companies in Ireland doing similar tbh since they're effectively just more expensive version of residents associations anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I remember reading there are apartment blocks in the USA where you have to be approved before you are allowed buy there. Your future neighbours will decide

Somewhere like Central Park Avenue in New York

So if you have the wrong background or are not "old money" you may get rejected by the other owners

Being Jewish for example may help you or hinder you, depends who already lives there and if they want you

Have to say I've no problem with that. Who wouldn't like to be able to prevent a bunch of scrotes from moving in next door? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭mongdesade

In the same house the last 25 years...I maintain my property, keep it clean etc. & surrounding verges outside my home are mowed & kept in order...I keep myself to myself.

Don't know the neighbours, don't want to know the neighbours, although I respectfully acknowledge them in passing...don't even know the name of the street next to me, don't need too, I know where I live...

Residents association gives me a wide berth, I think the sight of me & my biker buddies drinking a few brews with all the bikes parked in my front drive of a weekend deters them from calling :D

PS I am respectful of the fact that my neighbours might not appreciate the sound of v-twin motorcycles arriving en-masse & accordingly ask the lads to arrive at a suitable hour & not to fire them up too early of a Sunday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Placebo Effect

mongdesade wrote: »
    In the same house the last 25 years...I maintain my property, keep it clean etc. & surrounding verges outside my home are mowed & kept in order...I keep myself to myself.

Don't know the neighbours, don't want to know the neighbours, although I respectfully acknowledge them in passing...don't even know the name of the street next to me, don't need too, I know where I live...

Residents association gives me a wide berth, I think the sight of me & my biker buddies drinking a few brews with all the bikes parked in my front drive of a weekend deters them from calling :D

PS I am respectful of the fact that my neighbours might not appreciate the sound of v-twin motorcycles arriving en-masse & accordingly ask the lads to arrive at a suitable hour & not to fire them up too early of a Sunday morning.

Hells Angels Irish Chapter HQ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭mongdesade

Hells Angels Irish Chapter HQ?

Hell no, no association with those or any other 1% club

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

stovelid wrote: »
    I'm not from Lucan.

I can drop over with some baby pics and scones though.

I'm a Lucan head too :pac:

Our Association doesn't do much, BUT when someone wanted to convert a house near us into a apartment block opposite us we all rose up and lodged a protest to the Council!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Sleepy wrote: »
    We live in a similar size estate now ourselves and, tbh, if we weren't renting, I think I'd be having a go at setting up a similar residents association to the ones my mother would have been involved with when I was a child.

Slight bias there. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭toexpress

I was nice to neighbours once, then they stole from me, threw paint over my car, hurled abuse at me, threatened to burn my house down, cost me thousands. But to be fair they proved why rent allowance people shouldn't be allowed in private estates

The OP is right keep your distance from neighbours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

toexpress wrote: »
    But to be fair they proved why rent allowance people shouldn't be allowed in private estates

No they didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭toexpress

Sea Filly wrote: »
    No they didn't.

Course they did! That sort should all be in one area of a town not allowed to mix with the rest of us that way when the rozzers need to execute a warrant they just head to Knackeragua saves time and resources in this financially tougher recession type days everyone keeps going on about

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

I live on an estate too, I'm thinking of organising speedbumps to slow down traffic on the way in - Tradesmen appear to be going much too fast up my driveway and are scattering the gravel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Sleepy wrote: »
    I think it's an awful shame people think this way tbh.

I was raised in a number of different estates and the Residents Associations were quite good when I was a kid: there'd be a clean-up day of the estate once or twice a year where all the kids would help pick up the litter whilst the adults did some landscaping on the common areas etc.; an annual children's party where they'd rent out a bouncy castle, fill us with coke and sweets and let us run riot and an annual barbeque for adults to get locked and get to know their neighbours.

It led to a sense of community, of knowing who your kids were playing with on the road and friendships between a lot of the neighbours.

I grew up into in one of those larger estates that had an RA that organised kids days out, summer projects etc, sports days.... there was approx 1000 houses in the estate.

Eventually the RA organised a football tournament between the various roads, even organising referees and jerseys etc.

The event ended with the GARDAI being called, various parents being ordered home and two arrests.

One of the best punch ups I ever did see....

To this day I can still see two ol' ones pullin' the hair out of each other with about 600 hundred kids eggin' them on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I'm on the resident's association. And it's a thankless task a lot of the time, especially when you are going to meetings in a cold hall in the middle of winter. The same people end up doing everything because no matter how many times you ask, no one else will put their names forward. And there is a lot of tedious 'taking other people's opinions on board' stuff. But then you organise a community event that goes really well, or help a bunch of neighbours object to planning permission, or sort out illegal dumping and then it all seems worthwhile again.

And I am not looking to be best buddies, just to help make the area I live in as nice a place to be as possible.

Wiz are much maligned in the RA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭cafecreme

toexpress wrote: »
    Course they did! That sort should all be in one area of a town not allowed to mix with the rest of us that way when the rozzers need to execute a warrant they just head saves time and resources in this financially tougher recession type days everyone keeps going on about

They are, its called south county Dublin-all of the criminals that are a scourge to decent society live there- reckless bankers, greedy barristers, corrupt politicians and senior civil servants-they even send their kids to the same schools. Unfortunately the good people who live there all get tarred with the same brush :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9 coolchillie

Well said four18. Those who disagree are the same ones who sit in their own misery looking for something to complain about. I have them living next to me also.

Advertisement