Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Barrister etiquette

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭theAwakening

not intended to be a contraversial question, but, can people shed some light on what basis does the D.P.P. choose barristers to conduct prosecutions? is it based on their experience, or is it politics? do some barristers practice solely in prosecutions / defence work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

not intended to be a contraversial question, but, can people shed some light on what basis does the D.P.P. choose barristers to conduct prosecutions? is it based on their experience, or is it politics? do some barristers practice solely in prosecutions / defence work?

As far as I'm aware the DPP advertises positions within the department and usually look for Barristers with 7+ years of experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Brother Psychosis

dublin (and i think cork, but not sure) have a panel which is used on some sort of rotational basis. in order to get on the panel, the vacancies are advertised by the DPP, seeking barristers with sufficient experience, which usually stands at 7 years, but i dont think 7 is a specified amount.

in respect of all other counties, each only has one prosecuting barrister (with the exception of tipp which has two, north and south), who is selected in the same way and can stay in that position for such a time as all parties are happy for it to continue - in other words, barring some major problems, indefinitely. most will only relinquish the position on taking silk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

I remember him mentioning the Arsenic too and lice . . .

"Arsenic and Old Lice"? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Tom Young wrote: »
    Context: Barristers are supposed to show respect to the court at all times. Exposing ones gut to the court is, and has been traditionally regarded as being disrespectful.
    So, no belly tops for the young 'uns?
    BornToKill wrote: »
    With the greatest respect to my learned friend, I must disagree with this.
    "These are not the legal principles you are looking for."

/waves hand.

More properly, having a charming young devil can prove a distraction and you need to be aware of that, for good and bad. A friend is an auditor and the stuff they pulled off on the physical security side in big name companies is embarrassing - everything from a dozen laptops to the photocopier - all by batting some eye lashes.
    nuac wrote: »
    there are some odd perceptions out there. I was on a committee re renovations of some local district courts years ago. The architect involved asked if he should provide separate toilets for barristers and solicitors. I was able to assure him in fairly colourful language that both branches of our noble profession had much the same equipment and processers in that area.
    I take it that judges get separate ones from the plebs. :)

Advertisement