Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will i get the dole?

Options
  • 29-05-2012 1:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

HI

Im an apprentice in phase 7 with about 3 weeks left to be fully qualified. I plan to head to Australia in about 3 months. I will also have no work come 3 weeks. Im worried i wont be able to claim jobseeker allowance for the 3 months untill im gone to australia because

The sob story is.... before Christmass i was called to fas (phase 6) for January 2012.I had planned for awhile now that as soon as i was qualified i would go to australia out to all my friends and my brother, to explore Oz and all it has to offer.So naturally enough i wanted to get qualified asap. And to do this i would have to do my 10 weeks in FAS and then 12 weeks in work after that. So when i got called.... My employer asked if i minded being kept back and waiting till April to get called to fas again! DISASTER!!!
    I had bein held back previously (for phase 4) and this was just taking the pish as it would add nearly 6 months in total on top of my 4 year apprenticeship.
    He said to me that we would be busy in january and if i went they would need to hire someone else and when i came back they would have to let someone go... hinting that it would be me. There is a sister company not too far away and whenever anyone got called to fas they would usually get someone from there to fill in. And this is what has been done the previous times i went to fas.The last time i was held back is because another lad got called the same time as me i was kept back because he started before me..
    So i explained to him that i wanted to go to Oz as soon as i was qualified (imagine telling your boss your leaving in about 5 months). He "seemed" fine and happy for me and said i could go. I went to FAS happy at the taught that i would be shaking hands with Skippy the kangaroo in a few months time. While i was in FAS with about 4 weeks left, i heard my employer hired another apprentice i kinda taught nothing of it at the time thinking he was to replace me but i would still get to finish out my time. So i rang my boss the next week to remind him when i was coming back to work!
    "oh i taught we agreed you werent coming back?" NO!!!
    "we sent you your p45 at christmass!" NO!!! it was my p60!
    "no we sent you your p45" IT WAS MY P60!
    "look well we are after hiring someone else" So ive no work?
    "yes"
    I hung up and rang the Fas office straight away!
    She was outraged and rang them, then asked me to meet her and explain everything.
    They rang me back a few days later saying that by "pure fluke" (it was)one of the lads in the sister company had handed in his notice and there would be work for me there in 2 weeks for the 12 weeks i had left to get qualified. I was seriously annoyed with them and didnt want anything to do with them at this stage. So i said do you mind if i meet the woman from Fas first.
    I had a chat with the woman from Fas and as soon as i said they offered me work she fobbed me off and said "take it!!"... i rang them up and I reluctantly said yes! Thinkin to myself I have to suck it up and stick it out for 12 weeks
    And basicaly here i am with just under 3 weeks left till im qualified and finished working with these shower of C...ts.
    Or maybe im the C...t in all this anyway...

I realise i told them i wanted to leave when i was qualified but i wouldnt be leaving work only for all that has happened.If none of this had happened i could have booked my ticket ages ago and i would have handed in my notice a few weeks before i left for Oz. Also I wouldnt be looking to claim the dole at all. Its just a big mess.

What i want to know is will i get jobseekers benefit straight away or will i have to wait for 9 weeks?
    And what are stamps or credits?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Stuck Cone

ouch your language is a bit c..u..tish

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

So, in summary

Irrelevant rant.

How long does it take to get the dole?

Ring your local district and ask what the backlog is. They will lie, if they even answer the phone.

Good luck in Oz.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

The state of that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ohfuk!

So, in summary

Irrelevant rant.

How long does it take to get the dole?

Ring your local district and ask what the backlog is. They will lie, if they even answer the phone.

Good luck in Oz.

Oh I agree its totally irrelevant.... Just once I started I couldnt stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

Who added the tags?

This isn't a taxation query.

Moved to State Benefits.

• Advertisement
Advertisement