Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do Lesbians Exist?

• 29-05-2012 2:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭

Before I begin, I am NOT looking to offend anyone here or cast aspersions or doubt about the authenticity of homosexual women. People are entitled to live whatever lifestyle makes them happy and I fully respect their individual life choices. This is more an interesting, philosophical question. I know several lesbian and bi women and have had interesting conversations with some of them on this very topic, I just wanted to throw it out there to see what AH thinks.

Aside from a poor sense of fashion, what's the one thing that gay men hate? That's right...vaginas!

I remember having a conversation with one ex who had gone through an extended phase of experimenting with her sexuality, even going through a full-on, several month relationship with another female. She said she loved it most of the time. She clicked on a relationship level much more than she had with men, enjoyed the day-to-day adventures that being with another woman brought, and the sex was fantastic (with a woman knowing exactly what buttons to press instantly).

Why did she go back to men, then? Well, since you asked, the answer is...me. Me and my phenomenal thundercock.

No, that's not true. But it's close. She said a quote that stuck with me, "No matter how good it was, sometimes you just need a dick."

One of the few things we've understood coming out of the womb, since our caveman beginnings, was how to have penetrative sex. Homosexual men have even adapted the practise to suit their own sexuality. But women simply don't have the benefit of that. They require the use of a dildo, essentially a rubber replica of the male genitalia. It's not specifically necessary to achieve orgasm, but orgasm is also not necessary to procreate.

Regardless of where you stand on the whole 'Is homosexuality a natural or learned behaviour?' debate (and I tend to believe the former, though we have yet to biologically discover just how it is so)...is this fact alone sufficient proof that lesbianism is a lifestyle choice? A learned behaviour?

If a woman never has sex with a man, does she die a virgin? Without having full, penetrative, sexual intercourse, surely the answer is yes (whether that matters to her or not). But can we all accept that sexual intercourse is a natural part of human development? So how can we consider lesbianism completely natural in that case? Or can we rationalise it another way?

Again, this isn't to fuel any homophobic agendas or suggest there is anything wrong with lesbianism. Sure jaysus, a quick check of my browser history will tell you that I'm a full, devoted supporter of the practise. It's simply to ask: what can we learn from this if we do, in fact, conclude that it isn't a natural behaviour? What explains its existence?

Is it a (possibly subconscious) reaction to past experiences with other males? Is it a form of rebellion? Is it simply a lifestyle choice? Or can any woman truly claim to be 100% lesbian? Could there be a blur, a percentage, of how homosexual a woman is? Even women who consider themselves heterosexual certainly appear to be more comfortable and capable of being attracted to members of the same gender. Is that the case, or is it just more socially acceptable for women to discuss their attraction towards other women? Do I ask too many questions? Are you still reading?

Your thoughts please, AH.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

NEWSFLASH: They do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Mickey H wrote: »
    NEWSFLASH: They do.

I sincerely hope you get the thanks you're praying for with that post. It's a good one. But you probably need to read the OP, and not just the title, before you reply. Thanks! :)

Would it soothe the male ego to think that homosexual men are able to live without a woman in their lives, but a homosexual woman needs a man even if she is not attracted to one? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,525 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

dildos for some, miniature American flags for others?

Would it soothe the male ego to think that homosexual men are able to live without a woman in their lives, but a homosexual woman needs a man even if she is not attracted to one? :P

As a heterosexual (but cripplingly insecure and needy) male, I can safely say that: yes. Yes I do need that reassurance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

leggo wrote: »
    I sincerely hope you get the thanks you're praying for with that post. It's a good one. But you probably need to read the OP, and not just the title, before you reply. Thanks! :)

you posted in AH!

are you expecting some sort of reasoned debate?

event wrote: »
    you posted in AH!

are you expecting some sort of reasoned debate?

No, I just expected the offbeat responses to be funny I suppose.

As a heterosexual (but cripplingly insecure and needy) male, I can safely say that: yes. Yes I do need that reassurance.

Dude, your confidence and success rates might improve a lot f you concentrate on the many heterosexual women out there who like cock, and stop trying to turn the gay ones!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

No; it's just a defense mechanism. And I'm certainly hearing of more n more 'lesbians' by teh day

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Yes they do but they like hiding in bushes :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Aside from a poor sense of fashion, what's the one thing that gay men hate? That's right...vaginas!
    Why did she go back to men, then? Well, since you asked, the answer is...me. Me and my phenomenal thundercock.
    No, that's not true. But it's close. She said a quote that stuck with me, No matter how good it was, sometimes you just need a dick.
    Regardless of where you stand on the whole 'Is homosexuality a natural or learned behaviour?' debate (and I tend to believe the former, though we have yet to biologically discover just how it is so)...is this fact alone sufficient proof that lesbianism is a lifestyle choice? A learned behaviour?
    If a woman never has sex with a man, does she die a virgin? Without having full, penetrative, sexual intercourse, surely the answer is yes (whether that matters to her or not). But can we all accept that sexual intercourse is a natural part of human development? So how can we consider lesbianism completely natural in that case? Or can we rationalise it another way?

Again, this isn't to fuel any homophobic agendas or suggest there is anything wrong with lesbianism. Sure jaysus, a quick check of my browser history will tell you that I'm a full, devoted supporter of the practise. It's simply to ask: what can we learn from this if we do, in fact, conclude that it isn't a natural behaviour? What explains its existence?

Is it a (possibly subconscious) reaction to past experiences with other males? Is it a form of rebellion? Is it simply a lifestyle choice? Or can any woman truly claim to be 100% lesbian? Could there be a blur, a percentage, of how homosexual a woman is? Even women who consider themselves heterosexual certainly appear to be more comfortable and capable of being attracted to members of the same gender. Is that the case, or is it just more socially acceptable for women to discuss their attraction towards other women? Do I ask too many questions? Are you still reading?

Your thoughts please, AH.

Mod

My thoughts.

Try..

Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender Forum.

If you actually want an informed discussion on this subject.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement