Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Do Lesbians Exist?' Thread Closed

Options
  • 29-05-2012 3:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Not complaining or anything, but just a quick query as to why this thread was locked:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78919503#post78919503

I can understand the mod's reasoning behind it. However, if you read the OP, you can quite clearly see it is an AH post (since it encourages taking a perhaps tongue-in-cheek view of the subject matter, which I deliberately kept from veering towards offensiveness) and taking it to the suggested forum would only likely garner one particular viewpoint (i.e. anti-what I am asking. Not to mention that it could also appear as if I am trolling if I posted it in said forum, when it is a fair question with a lot of basis behind it).

What I'm discussing encompasses psychology, the nature of sexuality in general and also the obvious, specific look at homosexuality, with a potential for light-hearted humour in between. Again, I understand why the mod took this view, so I'm not unduly criticising. But I just think it was a well-intentioned error on their part and should be corrected as the subject has a lot of potential for several avenues of discussion.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

I think the mod's reasons were pertty clear. Whether you thought it was tongue in cheek or not, I found the very notion of a thread like that offensive to my core.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I think you, yourself, have missed the mod's point then. And not actually read my post, in the process, beyond the title.

It wasn't closed because it was offensive. It was closed because it was suggested that the LGBT forum would be a better place for the discussion. That was stated quite clearly, I'm sorry but I don't know how you got confused like that if you read the topic.

And, as stated, posting it there would likely look like trolling as it's only going to attract one type of response (like if I posted "Is soccer overrated?" in the soccer forum. Fair question, but put it to soccer fans only and it looks like you're just trying to wind them up). And it's also not a topic that would just appeal to LGBT interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

I dunno,

you want to get a few laughs by throwing open the sexuality of homosexual women to the public , not for serious debate but in your own words
    I just expected the offbeat responses to be funny I suppose.

in your opening post, quoted by the mod, you are essentially stating that unlike gay men (who "hate" vaginas? really? not just indifferent or dont care but "hate"?) a gay woman has made a lifestyle choice and its not birth/nature.

You state as evidence of your support for lesbians that your browser history is full of references... hinting at reducing them to a sexual curiosity for the entertainment of others.

You then cite lesbian and bi friends who you've had this conversation with... were you all drunk at the time? are they still your friends? or do they just put up with your attitude because they know you're harmless really?

the fact that you cannot see how someone would find that thread offensive is actually more worrying than anything.

IMHO the mod was right to close it. all that thread was doing was serving as a homophobe magnet and encourage mockery of a whole section of our society. As per the forum charters, if you want to discuss the nature of homosexuality take it to the LGBT forum and have your open and honest, "non homophobia promoting" discussion there.

Also, posting "is soccer overrated" in a soccer forum can be done..just not in the mocking tones you used in your post in AH.

"is soccer overrated? sure its a group of grown men having a kickabout and crying. they'll take any opportunity to grope and kiss one another. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with soccer players but......"

is very very different from:

"is soccer overrated? are players paid too much in comparison with athletes from other disciplines? is it more about the entertainment and the show than the skill of the game? "

I think you, yourself, dont bother to read your posts before you post them and so, seem to not realise the tone that comes across when people read them. thats a mod of AH, Dav and now myself that finds your AH thread offensive are we all wrong and you're right in this instance? maybe, but you'll have to post on some other site to find out.

To be honest, I think you're looking for excuses to support your own mod at this stage while still not understanding their reasoning behind closing it. Why, if it was deemed offensive at the time of making the decision, would they encourage me to post it in a forum where it would deliberately cause offense (by your reckoning)? Your exact words:
    thats a mod of AH, Dav and now myself that finds your AH thread offensive are we all wrong and you're right

The mod's exact words:
    Mod

My thoughts.

Try..

Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender Forum.

If you actually want an informed discussion on this subject.

Where, exactly, is the word 'offensive' in the above quote?

Is the mod encouraging me to take my 'offensive' post directly to the forum it would most offend? I don't think so, but your own assessment of the situation would certainly seem to suggest they are. That's certainly an unbecoming suggestion for a mod to make, don't you think? If they deemed it offensive that is, which they obviously didn't.

So, to answer your question, yes I do think you and Dav are wrong. Remarkably so. I'm a bit embarrassed for you for adopting a smart tone with me while failing to read plain English, tbh.

Was it this quote that offended you?
    Before I begin, I am NOT looking to offend anyone here or cast aspersions or doubt about the authenticity of homosexual women. People are entitled to live whatever lifestyle makes them happy and I fully respect their individual life choices.

Or was it this:
    Again, this isn't to fuel any homophobic agendas or suggest there is anything wrong with lesbianism

Explain to me, how do either of those quotes "encourage mockery", exactly? The latter is directly stating that I am NOT looking to mock or encourage homophobic agendas. If you don't acknowledge that, then you are stepping into murky territory by implying that I am a homophobe. I am not happy with that at all.

If you cannot see past the context of the title of the thread and see the grander context, then I question your own ability to moderate and contribute to this particular discussion. You've still yet to grasp the basic gist of the conversation here and it's very frustrating.

Thus far, the AH mod in question is the only person who's actually got to grips with the discussion in question. I respect their decision, even if I feel it was a (well-intentioned) poor call. Your contribution hasn't been helpful whatsoever and even further distracted from what we're actually discussing. So can you please remove yourself from the discussion ASAP, so we can discuss the issue with someone who does understand the situation?

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Stupid thread premise was stupid, so it got locked, what's hard to understand?

• Advertisement

In fairness, the decision of whether or not a thread is worthy of being discussed should come from you. What with your last incredible thread being 'Happy Towel Day' and receiving a whopping 3 replies. So, if there's anyone who can decide what would make for a good discussion...you're clearly an authority on the matter.

Who are you, exactly, by the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

You made a thread that was insulting to a segment of this forum and the thread was closed. And the mod gave you a link in case you were actually serious and wanted answers. Shrug it off and move on.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

That was one of the worst OPs I've ever read on the topic of sexuality. I've seen troll threads with more credible opening posts. Genuinely. The mod who closed that thread gave an understated closing comment. If they'd actually gone into proper detail of why the thread was closed, you would have been torn apart.

I don't even care that much about the thread tbh, it's just horrible customer service at this stage. You'll happily take the revenue from my page compressions, ad clicks and I even considered a subscription a few weeks back...yet when your mod makes a questionable decision and it is approached in a civil manner, even their seniors fail to give a satisfactory explanation (a contradictory one, in fact) and point the finger of blame squarely at the customer.

What other service would go to such lengths to tell a user of it, with a rightful gripe, that they were wrong and not even admit that they're contradicting themselves when it's there in black and white in front of them? Such ****e talk, cliquey, combative staff nature and crappy standards are why social networks are putting message boards out of business by the day. Something to think about there, guys. Good luck.

That was one of the worst OPs I've ever read on the topic of sexuality. I've seen troll threads with more credible opening posts. Genuinely. The mod who closed that thread gave an understated closing comment. If they'd actually gone into proper detail of why the thread was closed, you would have been torn apart.

I'm grand for the advice on talking about sexuality from the man with 15,000 posts calling himself an 'Overlord'. Thanks anyway, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

leggo wrote: »
    To be honest, I think you're looking for excuses to support your own mod at this stage while still not understanding their reasoning behind closing it.

yes. that must be it. its a conspiracy. it cant be something wrong with what you posted.

posting "I have no intention of offending X" and then going on to actually offend X is not a defense. Its semantics and pretty pathetic semantics at that.
    . Your contribution hasn't been helpful whatsoever and even further distracted from what we're actually discussing. So can you please remove yourself from the discussion ASAP, so we can discuss the issue with someone who does understand the situation?

gladly

thread closed as its just going to be a timesink/trainwreck/soapbox.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement