Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An alternate choice?

• 29-05-2012 3:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭

Hi lads, really hope I'm posting this in the right place but I've a question to ask.

Like, when I was in school, we had career guidance teachers but they never really went through all available options with us. Like there was some stuff I kinda wanted to do after school but I never had the courage to ask 'cos I was a bit shy and reserved in secondary school. Like, no one ever expected anything wild out of me, and I wasn't the type to ask lots of questions, or any questions I suppose. 'Keep the head down' was a motto I liked. Another was 'don't buy a pet octopus with your confirmation money without telling your parents' but I suppose that's a tale for another day.

However, I'm just after finishing my first year of college and, well...it's been a wild one. I feel like I've adopted some rather questionable morals in the past year and I'm not sure how I feel about this. I've said some things, done some things, drank some things...things I'm not altogether proud of now. I think I may have done the wrong course, gone to the wrong college, picked the completely wrong way of life for me...

I always had a great relationship with God and the Church and I suppose always, in the back of my mind I felt like I wanted to devote myself more to this way of life. People used to snigger at joining the priesthood or convent, as if it was such a crazy choice. That was a question I always wanted to ask a teacher, but never had the courage to ask. After the year I've had, however, I definitely have it in me to pose this question.

Does anyone know how exactly I'd go about finding more info about maybe joining a convent? I really think this would be the most suitable lifestyle for me, a way to truly cleanse my soul and absolve me of the sins I've committed. I'm sure you're all very stressed and don't need to be answering my questions but I'd like to know before the CAO Change of Mind deadline!

Thanks all, and best of luck with the LC. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Get thee to a nunnery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Stuck Cone

P P P P Pick up a penguin

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Check the various websites of the orders. They tend not to take people very young these days. They like you to have lived a bit.
    Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

Agree with spurious, I don't think they take in people at too young an age usually. Have you ever considered maye transferring to a religious type of course in the mean time? Maynooth has a few in All Hallows I think and they look quite interesting. Good luck with whatever your choice is, it's great to see young people wanting to devote their lives to God. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭skanger

Join the army

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement