Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenant leaving apartment

Options
  • 29-05-2012 9:05am
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭

First time I've had a tenant leave an apartment, is all on good terms but just want to make sure as a landlord I don't get left with any bills etc.

What is the norm on inspection day?

Presume we can call the power company together to provide a final reading so that any outstanding amount can be paid, likewise for UPC etc.

If the above is not possible for whatever reason presume I can hold back some of the deposit until the bills are settled and lodge what is leftover into the tenants bank account?

Any tips/advice would be greatfully appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

First time I've had a tenant leave an apartment, is all on good terms but just want to make sure as a landlord I don't get left with any bills etc.

Presume we can call the power company together to provide a final reading so that any outstanding amount can be paid, likewise for UPC etc.

If the above is not possible for whatever reason presume I can hold back some of the deposit until the bills are settled and lodge what is leftover into the tenants bank account?

Thanks

Some of your bills will be the same every month e.g. UPC, Sky,etc. So that one should be easy enough to sort out.
    Any time I had a tenant leave, I'd call the electricity company with a meter reading and they'd issue me an earlier bill and that would take care of that bill too.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭chainsawman

Thanks

Spot on.... That is the way to do it....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

I always give the deposit back the day I do an inspection and I get the keys off them, as we'll do a meter reading then too (only electricity in my case). Any other bills would be solely in their names like UPC etc... Just forward them on to the tenants new address. Those wont fall back on you.

Advertisement