Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why would a comedy club say "No Fancy Dress"?

• 29-05-2012 10:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭

I got a Groupon CityDeal offer this morning for the Capital Comedy Club in Dublin and in the Fine Print it specifically states "No Fancy Dress."

As someone somewhat new to Ireland, I thought fancy dress was like a costume you wear at Halloween. Is there another definition of fancy dress?

Why would a comedy club feel the need to mention this? Perhaps someone knows the reason why this could be an issue. They don't say "Pants Required" for men (for example) in the fine print :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

It means you can't wear that sequin off-the-shoulder number you were planning to go out in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

ScottSF wrote: »
    I got a Groupon CityDeal offer this morning for the Capital Comedy Club in Dublin and in the Fine Print it specifically states "No Fancy Dress."

They don't say "Pants Required" for men (for example) in the fine print :)
    Probably to keep hens and stags away.

Pants are optional, trousers required.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Some people like to wear fancy dress from time to time, for fun. That might also include tarty-lookin hen parties, leprechaun outfits, etc.

EDIT: Damn you Biko. I feel all redundant inside now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

It's a clause to keep the Clowns out. Stand Ups and Clowns have ever been at war. It's an ugly sight when Clowns heckle using physical humour in the environs of a stand up gig. One line putdowns Vs shavingfoam pies are ugly scenes.
    If you check the flyers for circuses you'll see in the fine print "StandUp comedians can just fcuk right off"

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭ScottSF

LOL. I will be sure to watch out for those evil clowns!

Is it even legal to deny someone entrance for wearing fancy dress? I wonder if you could file a lawsuit for discrimination. As long as all your parts are covered... ;)

Also I stand corrected... I meant "Trousers" not "Pants" in my original post. Americans call them pants but I learned my lesson while on holiday in Hungary years back. I thought my hotel would wash (launder) my casual pants for a reasonably low cost when actually the cost for trousers (the correct category on the price list) was 3 times as much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Its a politically correct way to say 'No drag acts'

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Casillas

OldGoat wrote: »
    It's a clause to keep the Clowns out. Stand Ups and Clowns have ever been at war. It's an ugly sight when Clowns heckle using physical humour in the environs of a stand up gig. One line putdowns Vs shavingfoam pies are ugly scenes.
    If you check the flyers for circuses you'll see in the fine print "StandUp comedians can just fcuk right off"

Hahahaha :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

ScottSF wrote: »
    LOL. I will be sure to watch out for those evil clowns!

Is it even legal to deny someone entrance for wearing fancy dress? I wonder if you could file a lawsuit for discrimination. As long as all your parts are covered... ;)

Also I stand corrected... I meant "Trousers" not "Pants" in my original post. Americans call them pants but I learned my lesson while on holiday in Hungary years back. I thought my hotel would wash (launder) my casual pants for a reasonably low cost when actually the cost for trousers (the correct category on the price list) was 3 times as much.

Your not allow into most nightclubs if your wearing runners
    Also how is it discrimination? Its not like anybody was born with the need to wear fancy dress everyday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,666 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I don't know, why wouild a comedy club say "No Fancy Dress"? :D

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 simonokeeffe

As the host of this fine comedy establishment I can can tell you it's groupon copying and pasting from the ticket terms and conditions on the club's website; the no fancy dress clause is to keep rowdy stags/hens etc away, by all means wear any snazzy outfits you have to the club

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭Goldenjohn

Are monkey suits allowed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    I don't know, why wouild a comedy club say "No Fancy Dress"? :D

To get to the other side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭ScottSF

As the host of this fine comedy establishment I can can tell you it's groupon copying and pasting from the ticket terms and conditions on the club's website; the no fancy dress clause is to keep rowdy stags/hens etc away, by all means wear any snazzy outfits you have to the club

I'm probably the only one who actually reads the fine print (and asks questions about what it all means). Thanks!

Advertisement