Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adamstown (Paddocks) vs Lucan

Options
  • 29-05-2012 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi,

Just saw that there is a good value to be had in Adamstown at present. I read all thats available on neighbours.ie, boards.ie and askaboutmoney and want recent opinion of people on general area. I want to know,which is better estate in Adamstown, Paddocks or castlegate with reasons. I personally will bend towards Paddocks.
    Also:
    1) Between Adamstown and Lucan there is only a km of difference. I know estates are partially empty but I don't think that will last forever, so why brand Adamstown as ghost estate, when occupancy is well 33% in Paddocks.
    2) Commuting wise more bus options in Lucan but still you only add 10 mins to Journey from Paddocks.
    3) Why pay 200K+ price for 15-20 year old house when you can buy new house.
    4) Community wise Lucan is much more established and Paddocks is developing, its form has password on neighbours.ie I am just wondering can some pm me the password so I can familiarise myself with any local issues.
    5) I heard that burglaries are on rise in Paddocks but I think just getting proper car alarm and house alarm will do the trick. To be fair that happens as much in Rathmines as well, and offcourse in Lucan. So whats the fuss.
    6) Now the thing that worries me most is unfinished estate issue with receiver appointed for development. I dont want to part away from my hard earned money just to realise that its turned into a social housing (no offence to anyone). What's your take on it is there any legislation to stop this from happening?

Please compare Adamstown Castle vs Paddocks as well. I dont want to start any argument just want honest opinions.

Thanks for all your responses in advance...
    A

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Cool Rider wrote: »
    1) Between Adamstown and Lucan there is only a km of difference. I know estates are partially empty but I don't think that will last forever, so why brand Adamstown as ghost estate, when occupancy is well 33% in Paddocks.
    5) I heard that burglaries are on rise in Paddocks but I think just getting proper car alarm and house alarm will do the trick. To be fair that happens as much in Rathmines as well, and offcourse in Lucan. So whats the fuss.
    People generally don't like ghost estates as no-one will ring the police should someone break through your front door and take the TV. Check how far away the nearest Garda station is. Think how long someone has to walk through your front door and take stuff before someone even notices. Also, listen for house alarms going off, and consider how many people will ignore said alarm...
    2) Commuting wise more bus options in Lucan but still you only add 10 mins to Journey from Paddocks.
    I think Adamstown has a rail link on the Celbridge to Heuston line, but not sure how active it is
    New is not always better, esp as alot of the houses build during and since the boom aren't the best. Also, some of the older houses will stuff added on (extensions, attic conversions, insulation, etc) which makes the house cheaper for you in the long run. Haven't been in Adamstown for some while, so can't comment on the availability of shops and schools. From being in Lucan, most estates have a shop nearby them.

4) Community wise Lucan is much more established and Paddocks is developing, its form has password on neighbours.ie I am just wondering can some pm me the password so I can familiarise myself with any local issues.
    No idea.
    6) Now the thing that worries me most is unfinished estate issue with receiver appointed for development. I dont want to part away from my hard earned money just to realise that its turned into a social housing (no offence to anyone). What's your take on it is there any legislation to stop this from happening?
    Another plus on a house in an old estate: you can find out from the locals if the estate has many social houses, and if it's not, it won't really go that way overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭lynchie

Occupancy in the paddocks is more than 33%. Maybe 33% of the overall plan including phase 2 etc but of the units built there is about 75-80% occupancy.

Not sure where you are getting the information that burglaries are on the rise. I know of one house that had a break in a few weeks back.

As far as the paddocks is concerned, Ulster bank appointed a receiver to undertake the sale of the remaining built units and committed to finishing the 5 remaining houses to be built at the end of the Paddocks Grove.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Cool Rider

Thanks for your response, please keep them coming.

Lynchie,
    Its advertised on the DNG website that 250 occupied out of 700 units. You seem to be livimg in Paddocks I have sent you a pm please repond.
    Thanks

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 280 ✭✭engineermike

Hi,

Just saw that there is a good value to be had in Adamstown at present. I read all thats available on neighbours.ie, boards.ie and askaboutmoney and want recent opinion of people on general area. I want to know,which is better estate in Adamstown, Paddocks or castlegate with reasons. I personally will bend towards Paddocks.

A

Hi,
    my 2 cents - from a purely professional perspective - I've inspected approx. 13 new houses between the 3 developments over the last few years.

Taking build quality - and only build quality - (structurally and finishing wise - snags etc.) - I'd say the paddocks is slightly ahead.
    Structurally the houses were 'fit for purpose'
    Finish (in the units i looked at) - was above standard
    Builder / dev. - was accommodating to purchaser / and easy to deal with and compliant on issues raised.

I can't really comment on the people or the place - / or burglaries etc. - but occupancy looked fine and above some of the true 'ghost estates ' I see during my work day.
    mike f

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

theres corporation owned estate and a private , developer . built estate,
    Whats a social house.
    Are you saying some houses in a private estate, were bought by council to give to people on the housing list,
    or 20 per cent were set aside for council tenants.
    Theres articles in papers,over the last year,burglarys on the rise,in dublin ,in most areas.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Hi,

Just saw that there is a good value to be had in Adamstown at present.

Value? If by value you mean an excess of supply over demand, driving down asking prices- then yes, there is value. Value is a very deceptive word though- when you're buying property the upfront purchase price is only one of the costs of ownership (many of the costs may not be monetary in nature at all.
    I read all thats available on neighbours.ie, boards.ie and askaboutmoney and want recent opinion of people on general area.

Ask away. I grew up in Lucan- and live in the village itself now. I've been here almost 40 years...... :eek:
    I want to know,which is better estate in Adamstown, Paddocks or castlegate with reasons. I personally will bend towards Paddocks.

We looked at all of the developments on the Newcastle road as they went up- with the intention of exploring moving at some stage- which we never did. I'd be inclined to agree with Engineer Mike regarding the Paddocks- and even in the show house in Castlegate we had queries regarding noise from adjacent units on a reasonably quiet Saturday morning.

There are nicer areas in Paddocks or Castlegate- those that open onto the Green areas tend to have a better atmosphere- and if you've young children, give the opportunity for them to run wild in relative safety with the neighbours children.
    Also:

Adamstown and Lucan? Lucan? I'm from the area- anyone who is from Lucan doesn't consider anything south of the N4 to be part of Lucan- hell, even areas that estate agents sold as 'being in the Parish of St. Mary's' very often are anything but in Lucan. I don't know why you're saying there is 1km of difference between Adamstown and Lucan- frankly there isn't- regardless of the rezoning of vast tracts by the late Liam Lawlor. Most original Luconians consider Dodsboro to be a separate village- and as for Esker etc- it was a separate Parish associated with Balgaddy (Clondalkin) before it became gentrified and renamed Lucan.

Occupancy in the Paddocks is well in excess of 70%- not sure where you're getting your 33% from (its totally inaccurate). Yes- there are a lot of vacant properties there- however- its a world away from the 60-70% that you're suggesting.

If you are looking at Adamstown and Lucan- and trying to draw some comparisons- look at transport links, facilities and amenities etc. Transport links in Adamstown and around the new Lucan/Clondalkin/Newcastle developments- are significantly better than they are in Lucan itself- which has had its only dedicated bus route curtailed, and a number of the Leixlip/Celbridge/Maynooth/Kilcock routes that also used service it, dramatically reduced. If you're reliant on personal transport in either Lucan or anywhere south of the N4- you have serious traffic issues- its not unusual to take 20 minutes to get onto the N4 in the morning (from either the village or South Lucan- the profusion of traffic lights and roundabouts are anything but car friendly).

Lucan? I take it you mean the new estates? The 25A route has a frequency of between 7 and 8 minutes at peak times- and while it does an interesting tour of the estates south of the N4- its probably the most reliable bus route that Dublin Bus operate. The train station in Adamstown is on the commuter line and while I have no idea of its frequency- I'm sure you could look it up. If you're reliant on private transport- you have serious issues no matter where in Lucan/Newcastle road/Clondalkin etc you may be- even with the reduced number of cars on the road- its still a 20 minute journey to get onto the N4 from anywhere in the morning. If you can use public transport- there is a lot to be said for allowing a premium for access to the public transport links.

Everything is worth what its purchaser is willing to pay for it. Many people might consider a 15 or 20 year old property better built than a newer (or new) property. Also- the 200k+ price tag, is purely aspirational- its a buyers market- who is to say you can't get a significant discount on the asking price of either property?

Can't help you on this one.

Burglaries are on the rise in all areas- its not a particular feature of any one area or estate. Unfortunately it goes hand-in-hand with living in a recession. Proper car alarms/immobilisers and monitored house alarms- are simple necessities of modern day living. You would be foolish not to have and use both. Antisocial behaviour is another matter- and you would be well advised to check this out.

Legislation to stop housing units being handed over for social housing? If anything the law, as it stands, aims to have a higher number of units designated as 'social housing'- and to do away with the cash payments developers made in the past to have their social housing elements excused.

There is supposed to be an element of social housing in all new developments- the idea is that social housing is as dispersed as possible, to negate the situation where in the past some areas such as Tallaght in the 1970s/80s became synonymous with social housing and unemployment problems (I'm using this as an example- obviously its far from being like this anymore).
    Please compare Adamstown Castle vs Paddocks as well. I dont want to start any argument just want honest opinions.

Thanks for all your responses in advance...
    A

Go view them- use the public transport. Walk to Superquinn, to the library, to the local schools etc. Get there for 8AM some morning and assess the traffic if you might need to drive. Get a feel for the area(s). I've friends who live in both- in most cases they thought they were buying 'starter' homes and intended to trade up to ye old fashioned freehold detached with a garden etc down the road- not to be anymore.

Go and check it out yourself..........

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭CJ1

wow Smcarrick, pretty informative post. If you were advising people to buy in Lucan, where would you suggest as best options

CJ1 wrote: »
    wow Smcarrick, pretty informative post. If you were advising people to buy in Lucan, where would you suggest as best options

Depends on a lot of factors- along with what in particular you're looking for. If you'd like a bit of seclusion, with plenty of land, and few but friendly neighbours- there are several nice properties on the Clonee Road (and Westmanstown)- that might interest you. If proximity to Public transport is at a premium- then Adamstown and the new Lucan South estates- are a big positive. If proximity to schools is an issue- perhaps an older estate in the village might better suit you- as most of the schools in Lucan South are massively over subscribed- whereas if you get into the catchment for St. Mary's- you're virtually guaranteed a place.

I could go on and on- it really depends on what your priorities (and budget) are.

A deal breaker for us- if we were ever to move- is availability of fast broadband- we have a 50Mb connection with fibre to the door here at the moment- yes, we're spoilt, but its something that we consider a necessity (we both work in IT).

So- it really depends.

I live in the village by the way- I have my children enrolled in the schools in Leixlip and Maynooth- and if I'm grocery shopping, would normally go to Maynooth- its just not worth the hassle (and prices) in Superquinn........

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Gk2802

Hi all
    Need your advice . Just put an offer on last 3 bed semi house in Paddocks , not knowing that Receiver has been appointed .House is very close to the field that" suppose " to have Planning permission ,but now I am worrying that it may well turns into social housing as mention before.
    Future more, would the bank draw down on mortgage in this case?
    I really don’t know what to do ? Should I pull off the deal till it's not too late?
    I like the Paddocks , but what that will look like in the future?
    Anyone knows is the management company (which I believe is O'Dwyers) in any trouble like the Maplewood Developers ?

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2012/0829/1224323180663.html

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭gogreen81

Hi, does anyone know of the new launch in paddocks area. I heard Sherry is bringing up new houses in 200-300 range? for 3 and 4 bhk SD etc.
    Interested to when they will be launched as I initially heard it will be Feb but no news

Any improvement in bus connectivity in this area?

• Advertisement

gogreen81 wrote: »
    Hi, does anyone know of the new launch in paddocks area. I heard Sherry is bringing up new houses in 200-300 range? for 3 and 4 bhk SD etc.
    Interested to when they will be launched as I initially heard it will be Feb but no news

Any improvement in bus connectivity in this area?

I asked recently and was told September. I do not know how accurate this is- along with your February date- this is now the 4th different date I've heard.

Also- the price I heard was significantly higher than you're suggesting.

Vis-a-vis buses- the service is the same- which is absolutely no harm- its probably one of the most frequent of all routes in Dublin- buses seem to be every 3-4 minutes peak, and 11-12 minutes off peak- which I consider to be quite remarkable. I haven't been around at peak times (I live in the area myself- and I'm going in the opposite direction- thank Christ).

I did a recent search (last Friday) with Sherry for all freehold properties in the Lucan area @ 220 or under. Result = zero (with Sherry). If you're not looking specifically at this development- and are willing to consider other parts of 'Lucan'- it is well worth your while encompassing the sales of other estate agents- Sherry seem to be a minority player in the Lucan area.

Well I heard that they were to start selling in Feb/Mar and be ready in Sept.
    have u seen any showhouse in progress at the moment, if thats easy to find out.

The reason am also awaiting for this is some of the house prices in Lucan are very high, going to 250+ even when they should be less. There's definitely ppl frantically looking for old/new houses in lucan area. Atleast launch of 100 more houses would bring the prices in line with what they should be at the moment.

Dont want to pay a higher price at this stage and then regretting later when the new paddocks is launched with similar or less price.

there are atleast 20-30 couples/families everytime I go for viewing in Lucan.

whats the best connectivity from paddocks , is 25 if am not mistaken? which is a bit of walking distance from paddocks to catch the bus

Its a 5 minute walk to get the 25- a bit longer if you're a slow walker- its not far. As for other developments in the Lucan area- the other 2 big ones coming on stream are all north of 500k- like where Lucan Fruit Farm used be (back of Laraghcon) where there are 70 houses, starting @ 600k......... (Michael Flynn- the Cork developer is bringing those to the market).

It all depends- but Lucan was a prestigious address (once upon a time before it got over developed)- and particular areas of it- notably the parish of St. Mary's- are very high demand.

Thanks The_Conductor
    500+ is out of my bounds being a ftb. hoping the new paddocks is launched soon.

I remember reading about parish of St Mary sometime back, but not sure what area it covers and how does it acutally makes a difference in Lucan... i mean the property prices withing that area and outside

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭karenalot

There's definitely ppl frantically looking for old/new houses in lucan area. Atleast launch of 100 more houses would bring the prices in line with what they should be at the moment.

there are atleast 20-30 couples/families everytime I go for viewing in Lucan.

There is also an application recently submitted to SDCC for 74 x 4 bed houses to be built across the road from the Paddocks/Finnstown hotel.

Possibly out of your price range but when (or if) they are built it may help ease the supply in the area

I remember reading about parish of St Mary sometime back, but not sure what area it covers and how does it acutally makes a difference in Lucan... i mean the property prices withing that area and outside

Pretty much the village itself and a loop delineated by the N4/M4.
    Some areas the other side of the N4- particularly in the Woodies area- consider themselves to be in St. Mary's Parish- when in actual fact they would traditionally have been in the parish of Balgaddy (subsequently subsumed into Esker).

In practice a property in St. Mary's Parish would have possibly as much as a 20-25% premium associated with them- over and above similar properties in the surrounding areas (and indeed the different parishes would determine eligibility for primary schools etc- for children).

Advertisement