Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sporting heritage of Fingal.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

Most recently Rush's Eoin Morgan has represented England in cricket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

shaungil wrote: »
    Most recently Rush's Eoin Morgan has represented England in cricket.

Or as the Sunday Times stated he comes from the "village of St Catherines outside Dublin":pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

martinn123 wrote: »
    Interesting piece on a new book, Fingal Sporting hero's

http://www.fingal-independent.ie/news/new-book-celebrates-the-sporting-heritage-of-fingal-3120269.html

I was intrigued to read the quote,

and so went onto Wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyran_Bracken

Born in Skerries,

have we any other local sportsmen, in Fingal, who went over to the ''Old Enemy'' and were so successful.

There is/was a great photo in Skerries RFC of a junior team (U9s or the like) with both Kyran Bracken & Killian Keane on the same side. Two future international players in Skerries jerseys all skinny with knock-knees (sorry lads). :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Rush man Con Martin was on the first team to travel overseas and beat England at soccer. They (the English) claim it was "the mighty Maygars" Hungary in 1954 who won 6-3 at Wembley but it was in fact Ireland who beat them 2-0 at Goodison Park in 1948. Con scored. He also has the distinction of playing in goal for Ireland also. A team mate got injured on a tour of Spain and Portugal and Con kept a clean sheet as Ireland beat Spain 1-0

Con still lives in Rush and in his day was a noted Gaelic player and represented Dublin winning a Leinster C'Ship medal but he only got his medal in the 1990s as he had played soccer for Druncondra during the "BAN". Con's son Mick has 51 caps for Ireland also.

Cornelius Joseph Martin (born Rush, Dublin, 20 March 1923 Martin initially played Gaelic football with Dublin before switching codes and embarking on a successful soccer career, playing for, among others, Drumcondra, Glentoran, Leeds United and Aston Villa. Martin was also a dual international and played and captained both Ireland teams - the FAI XI and the IFA XI. In 1949 he was a member of the FAI XI that defeated England 2–0 at Goodison Park, becoming the first non-UK team to beat England at home.

Martin, nicknamed Mr. Versatility,played in every position during his soccer career. Although he played mainly as a centre-half, the ball-handling skills he developed playing Gaelic football also made him a very useful goalkeeper. He actually made his international debut with the FAI XI as a goalkeeper and despite turning down the chance to sign for Manchester United as a goalkeeper, he later played nearly a whole season in goal for Aston Villa.

Another Rush who man who hit the headlines on many occasions was cyclist Matt Sands. Matt a load of National titles and was also a very gaelic player.

He was the first Irishman to race in the tour of Britan and earned 7th spot overall. He missed out on a trip the olympic games because of a split in Irish athletics. Matt was a staunch republican and to go the "dark side" would never have been on.

Sonny Cullen was a top cyclist in his day and lived in Rush but was not a native. Richard Flynn from Convent lane competed in 1976 games in Montreal in clay pidgeon shooting.

Paul Opperman who competed in Barcelona games also lived locally for a while.

Looking at the thread title again there have been many who contributed hugely to the sporting heritage of Fingal by keeping clubs going when everything around them was falling apart,
    Gus Warren and people from Oldtown who kept Handball going
    Cycling club in Balbriggan,
    Cricket clubs in Fingal
    GAA Clubs
    Without the people who kept these clubs going we would not have the successful clubs we have today

• Advertisement

I mentioned Con Martin above and today I heard another fact about him and his son Mick

The weekley sports trivia question from Damien Lawlor on John MUrray show this morning,
    "Who are the only Father and Son to score for Republic of Ireland in full international".
    The answer was Con and Mick Martin. I now await delivery of my copy of season of Sundays, (my second copy)

Con's grandson I believe is banging in goal for Crystal Palace at moment. Wonder could he make it make it 3rd generation to score?

Advertisement