Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Counties and towns DB

Options
  • 29-05-2012 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭

Hi Everyone,

I'm wondering where I would find a database which includes all the counties and towns in it. Something similar to the database used on this site
    http://www.pigsty.ie/

I already used Discover Ireland to manually list many towns but a lot are missing and I'm wondering if anyone has a quick solution?

Many thanks for your help.

Kind regards,

Stephen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Not a database, but each county's Wikipedia page usually lists all the towns in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

I have irishtownlands.csv at home. I'll upload later when I get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭clusk007

tricky D wrote: »
    I have irishtownlands.csv at home. I'll upload later when I get home.

nice one tricky, thanks

Attachments aren't working for me at the moment. PM me your email address and I'll forward the file on.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Jennyrose

I remember asking a company called Compass or Kompass for this 3 years ago. They wanted 5 grand. We declined.

You can get them off myhome or daft if you dont mind the hassle of cleaning them up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Irishtownlands.zip

zipped csv with long and lat

@Jennyrose 5k while expensive is quite reasonable when you consider the amount of resources required to compile it.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Jennyrose

tricky D wrote: »
    @Jennyrose 5k while expensive is quite reasonable when you consider the amount of resources required to compile it.

You just gave it away for nothing, and with the list of everything we got from the net, we got a student to georeference the lot for 500 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭clusk007

Many thanks to tricky for the list. 5k is absurd, thank God that Celtic Tiger is dead!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Mullins07

The API for locally.ie provides our current list of towns and villages in counties.

I also have lat and lng in the database (geocoded automatically using Google) but this API doesn't provide them.
    Let me know if you need them and I could add them.

The list is fairly good although there are one or two possibly dubious localities in there, e.g. Dublin Airport. (Yes, I should probably remove that)

It is available at http://locally.ie/api/towns.json

• Advertisement
Advertisement