Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you hold respect for politicians choosing this career path?

• 29-05-2012 11:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭

Had them over canvassing at the weekend,all smiling Fine Gael cronies shuffling dear leader about door to door.
    I said to this first time elected TD why was it that he claimed 52k in expenses in 10 months on top of his salary.
    He mumbled I've receipts for all them accounts were changing the face of the country and hanging our heads high,none of the corruption will be coming from Fine Gael.Avoided my question.
    I asked him wasn't a Fine Gael councillor up for fraud recently,his answer was let's leave the past where it is I'm here for the referendum.Avoided question.
    I told him the last time we saw you was when you were campaigning for the election and I said I've no respect for the lot of yee just get off my doorstep as your just a chancer.
    After hours do you see politicians as lifes chancers,people trying to make a change for the good of the country,or self serving individuals and there cronies?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

They are all a bunch of money hungry Muppet's

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

politics forum...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

They probably start out as intending well but get corrupted quickly by the power.
    Wasn't is Plato that suggested politicians should not be allowed to have possessions, thus they would have no reason for greed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Shur if he has receipts for everything he wont mind his constituents knowing who he is...what was his name OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

For the vast majority being a politician has got nothing to do with a career. A lot of tds are teachers who still get their teachers pay while a part time teacher on less pay takes their place and if they lose their seat in the morning they can walk straight back in to their old job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Paul Kehoe TD from Wexford?
    Just you mentioned the councillor and that was Wexford too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Paul Kehoe TD from Wexford?
    Just you mentioned the councillor and that was Wexford too
    Brian Walsh Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

No.

I seriously doubt that mob became politicians for anything as noble as 'change' or 'the people'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

I don't hold respect for any politicians.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

I saw Billy Connolly one time and he went off on one of his legendary tangents to the effect that the desire to be a politician should automatically disqualify one from becoming a polictician. He then surmised about a system where a majority of a cabinet are chosen randomly from amongst the adult population and 'given a go' on a probationary period with monthly peer reviews. If youre good at it you stay. If youre not you go back to your job.
    makes as much sense as our current system.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

Michael Lowry is a man of great integrity. His dedication to bribery regardless of tribunal findings and the Dublin Meee-jaaa is an example we can all aspire to.

He's a rogue but he's our rogue ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

I don't hold respect for any politicians.
    Jackie healy Rae, Charles de Gaulle, Liam Lawlor and Aung San Suu Kyi all go in the same wastebin, do they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

You just don't understand Irish politics OP.

While I don't lose respect for people when they become involved in politics, I certainly wouldn't attach any respect to their career choice.

I think that after a few years of being a politician, it's impossible to keep a healthy outlook about what you're doing. How many pages of statistics and numbers and strategies can you look at without losing sight of what they really represent? I think politicians should be given less money, smaller jobs, and be obliged to do regular hands-on work with the issues their dealing with. And that does not mean calling around to people's houses with leaflets and empty promises.

Show up at a popular constituents funeral that you didn't know but you want to be seen and shake hands, get called a gombeen

Don't show up and your absence will be noted and the hard working councillor who did show up might take your job next time

Can't win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

politicains don't build the future, they are too busy trying to rescue the past....

Advertisement