Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Empty your pockets - what you got?

Options
  • 29-05-2012 11:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭

So whats in your pocketziss?

Anything that might help you survive?

Me.....

EDC knife (small but sharp)
    Multi-tool (also a knife)
    Disposable lighter (lidl)
    16GB USB key
    Emergency "dog lead" (4m Paracord and tied to a dog lead catch)
    2 Handkerchiefs (one clean, one :o)
    Pen and a piece of notepaper (for shocking memory, I make notes then forget to look at them :o:o)
    Wallet, drivers licence, cash, credit cards, other plastic and 2 plasters.
    About 25 cents in change
    Car key on split ring.

Not alot if that was all I had with me in some survival situation but a good deal better than nothing. Apart from not taking my wallet with me all the time I'd have the above with me most of the time and have a survival tin and load of other stuff in the pockets of a jacket I normally (but not always) take when I go out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Never more than arms reach away from me:

IMG_1690.jpg

IMG_1689.jpg

IMG_1690.jpg

That would be
    • Heavy duty carabiner
    • Proton flashlight (very powerful but eats the batteries)
    • 16GB USB drive, filled with goodies
    • Button compass
    • Flip-out cup
    • Peanut lighter
    • Pen knife with tweezers taken out, tiny but extremely tough and sharp
    • Keys for house and car
    Othe than that, just condoms and cash really. I wouldn't bother with a survival tin for the most part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Just emptied my pockets onto the van seat,

Around my neck is a fox caller with a load of paracord holding it there

Light work jacket packets
    leatherman surge with fire steel, was using it yesterday and never took it out
    Lighter
    20 fags :rolleyes:
    Pen
    2 rounds of .223 ammo??? No idea why! 1.5 packs of chewing gum

Shirt pocket
    Busines cards
    Pen

Trousers
    Phone
    Wallet with cash, cards, licence, paper and pics of family
    About €6 in change

I know ya disnt ask but in the back of the van iv boots and a change of clothes in a bag and some fruit (always there, eat every day and topped up weekly), 2 tins of tuna and 2 ltr of water. Id be home in half a day or less maybe from where i am walking

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

I'm off this week and its warm so I'm in my underwear.

I'm no use to this thread :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

A handkerchief
    €4.03
    A sestertius of Emperor Trajan

I'm screwed, amn't I? :o

My wallet (containing a Swisscard Lite).
    My Swiss army knife (can't remember what type, one of the bigger "lock" variety).
    My mobile.

Thats it.

However, in my knapsack (goes most places with me - currently within arms reach):

- a Platypus water container (bag is a Maxpedition Condor II with additional side pockets added).
    - a Monocular
    - a compass
    - "SAS Survival Handbook" and "Food for Free" (Collins Gem)
    - mini first aid kit
    - additional swiss army knife
    - torch (surefire)
    - lighter
    - twine.
    - pens
    - notepad
    - "modern stuff", e.g. USB cable, i-Pod cable, etc.

(Ok, quite sad to be carrying that stuff about, but it's a throwover from my youth as a Scout!)

(Not sure my bag stuff should be included in this thread, but what the hell! :p)

http://paddy-halligan.blogspot.com
    http://twitter.com/#!/druss_rua

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

My wallet (containing a Swisscard Lite).
    My Swiss army knife (can't remember what type, one of the bigger "lock" variety).
    My mobile.

Thats it.

However, in my knapsack (goes most places with me - currently within arms reach):

- a Platypus water container (bag is a Maxpedition Condor II with additional side pockets added).
    - a Monocular
    - a compass
    - "SAS Survival Handbook" and "Food for Free" (Collins Gem)
    - mini first aid kit
    - additional swiss army knife
    - torch (surefire)
    - lighter
    - twine.
    - pens
    - notepad
    - "modern stuff", e.g. USB cable, i-Pod cable, etc.

(Ok, quite sad to be carrying that stuff about, but it's a throwover from my youth as a Scout!)

(Not sure my bag stuff should be included in this thread, but what the hell! :p)

http://paddy-halligan.blogspot.com
    http://twitter.com/#!/druss_rua

Don't worry, you're amongst friends here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭bonniebede

Generally don't have pockets in my clothes.

Handbag...never without

swiss army edc

money, cards,

memory key

passport (not usually:) sounds like i'm ready for a quick getaway, just happens to be still there from last use)

little tin from breath freshners got to be a mini survival tin which contains ...breath freshners:o

mini led light.

phone

lip salve. (not much of an fak but, hey, better than nothing. works well with the paper tissue as a firelighter too.)

had a lighter but gave it away last night. (should be under the 'do you ever use your stuff' thread)

rosary beads and mantilla. (when all thats left to do is pray)

lots and lots of paper receipts, i think these things breed. guess they would add to the kindling at a pinch.

keys of course. pen.

more stuff in the car, of course.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

A handkerchief
    €4.03
    A sestertius of Emperor Trajan

I'm screwed, amn't I? :o
    Interesting you mention the sesterce. I've been mulling over getting a couple ounces of silver or gold to keep on me. Depending on shtf scenario a wallet of 50s might be so much tinder. Gold and silver are readily recognizable and could be handy for bribes, barter. A few ounces onto my usual kit wouldn't make much diff and wouldn't break the bank (anymore than other gear I've bought...)

bonniebede wrote: »
    Handbag...never without
    I've often thought that women have an advantage over men in these situations, they could be dolled up to the nines ready for a night on the town and still better equipped than most of us, due to the ubiquitous handbags. Some social conventions are useful!
    Coriolanus wrote: »
    Interesting you mention the sesterce. I've been mulling over getting a couple ounces of silver or gold to keep on me. Depending on shtf scenario a wallet of 50s might be so much tinder. Gold and silver are readily recognizable and could be handy for bribes, barter. A few ounces onto my usual kit wouldn't make much diff and wouldn't break the bank (anymore than other gear I've bought...)
    I'd quicker add a few pouches of cheap eastern european tobacco to be honest, its easier to break up than metal coinage and likely in higher demand. :D A few bricks of smoke could set you up very nicely.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Doc Ruby wrote: »

I'd quicker add a few pouches of cheap eastern european tobacco to be honest, its easier to break up than metal coinage and likely in higher demand. :D A few bricks of smoke could set you up very nicely.

Alcohol and cigarettes, along with clean drinking water and fresh food, probably the highest currencies post SHTF/TEOTWAWKI. Moving on after that, potentially gold and silver, but only when life settles back down to some semblance of normality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

there was a very interesting thread a while ago which had links to some fella who lived in Sarajevo during the Balkans war, he made some ver interesting points about Gold and silver, people lost a lot of wealth for a tin of beans and antone who had some was treated with suspicion, much beter to have some jewlery than coins in that fellas opinion, was a very interesting blog

anyway, to hand and in pockets

Shirt pocket : Packet cigaretes, Credit card, Lotto ticket ( didnt win) Diesel reciept, Parker pen, packet of rizla

Left pocket : Phone, tissues, E2.65 in change

Right pocket : Swiss Army Knife, Zippo, Bic Lighter

Back Right : E170, more diesel reciepts

Back left : Business cards accumulated during the week, small bag of 'Green Leafy Material'

Bag ( I have this close at hand since I got the Android Tablet)
    Tablet (in my hand) + Charger, Towel, Tshirt, Socks, GPS, Studfinder, Notepad, 3 CD's, 12-240Volt car adaptor, cupasoups, tin plate, plastic mug, 1/2 box condoms, 6 Bottles nail varnish, E25 in notes E4.20 in coin, bottle Zippo fluid, Floppy hat, suncream, bar of soap, Zipties, plastic shopping bags

I have to admit that I aded a lot of those things into the bag after starting to read this Forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭baords dyslexic

Great idea but very very very very bad idea for an ex-smoker like me :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

On my belt Htc wildfire in maxpedition case also maxpedition key fob keys to my house leatherman scissors fox 40 whistle belt is a tactical anchor instructors belt Combat rip stop trousers back right pocket wallet cash cards id survival cards Leap card (can be used on all public transport)
    front right pocket Smokes and zippo right leg pocket survival tin Left front pocket led lenser p2 torch victorinox knife (think its a camper or hiker) left leg pocket (sometimes) leatherman Skeletool and ppe Jacket is either a fleece with mp4 player or M65 jacket with liner in this weather left hand pocket is a baseball cap right hand pocket is gloves chest pockets ( sometimes) extra smokes mp4 player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭baords dyslexic

• Heavy duty carabiner

OK so what do you use that for?

I used to have to depend on them so was always a bit careful in handling them, I even still have a couple marked up not for personal use (they've been used to tow a car) so old habits die hard.

OK so what do you use that for?
    Holding me keys together? :D Lots of uses in an emergency though.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

smart phone (pre loaded maps among other things).
    Swiss army knife (never leave home without it)
    Wallet with cash (currently abroad so carrying more cash than usual), credit cards, dublin bikes card, yada yada
    micro usb to usb cable (unusual, but there you have it, it's in my pocket today)
    earphones
    packet of tissues
    belt (not in pockets, but useful none the less)

Also had my backpack with me literally all day. Not sure if that counts. That has a laptop, flask with coffee, mugs, very small milk, water bottle and various fruit in it.

Advertisement