Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visual Studio 2010 and Firebird

Options
  • 29-05-2012 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

I'm trying to connect a database thats created in firebird and connect it to visual studio 2010, i'm having difficulties in establishing a connection between the two, any help would be greatly appreicated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

You should post any error messages that you are getting. In case it's the connection string that's causing problems, take a look at connectionstrings.com to see if the examples help.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Freddie24

The trouble i'm having is trying to follow the instructions on the giving link, http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8835977/firebird-ddex-visual-studio-2010-unable-to-find-the-requested-net-framework-da

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭MagicRon

Freddie24 wrote: »

You're following instructions from someone who couldn't get it working? Is there something specific in that post that you don't understand?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

MagicRon wrote: »
    You're following instructions from someone who couldn't get it working? Is there something specific in that post that you don't understand?
    Yeah, I was just about to post the same thing. Do you (Freddie24) get the same "Unable to find the requested .NET Framework Data Provider. It may not be installed." error message?

I'm not even getting to that stage as yet, i have been trying to follow that guide and another guide to install the firebird database that allows you to access it from vs. I've spent the morning trying to follow the guide but still its not working. the guide i've been working from is here http://www.basarat.com/2010/02/setting-up-firebird-development-with-vs.html. Its not an easy to understand and follow :confused:

• Advertisement

Ok so, taking each step on that page - how many of them have you completed?

I have downloaded the Zip DDEX and tried to copy and past to the GAC as mention and this was not allowed. Instead of the Zip file for the second thing i downlaoded and installed the .msi file thats now available on the firebird website. I think its the issue with the GAC file that is the main problem

Starting with the GAC problem then - is the error access denied? or is it another error you get when dropping the dll?

I have just been reading up on this problem in previous version of windows it was no problem to install dll in the GAC but now windows 7 does not allow you to simply drag and drop. Even logged in as an administrator you still do not have permissions to add files to the GAC.

Freddie24 wrote: »
    I have just been reading up on this problem in previous version of windows it was no problem to install dll in the GAC but now windows 7 does not allow you to simply drag and drop. Even logged in as an administrator you still do not have permissions to add files to the GAC.

Correct. But you should be able to do it using Gacutil.exe which you will find at:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\Bin
    or
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\Bin

Another thing you could do is edit your registry and add the following:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Fusion
    DisableCacheViewer DWORD(32 bit) = 1

This will show the GAC to you as folders allowing you to copy to and from -- unless you're pretty familiar with what you're at you probably shouldn't do this.

• Advertisement

Ya i dont think i will start messing around with things like that, seems as this is not my machine either ;) probably better waiting and showing the problem to the man in charge, cheers for your help much appreciated.

cheers

Advertisement