Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ongoing weekend fear......

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Babybuff

Good man :)
    Will you be "getting in touch" again?
    we're going for a beer in bout half an hour :)

( i really don't want to spoil the moment by stating my actual gender either ;))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

It seems to be the new way of saying 'never again', which was a silly phrase because theres always an 'again' once the hangover is gone.

'the fear' from eating/smoking too much hash is something genuinely scary and makes alochol induced fearage seem like a walk in the park on a mild day with a little bit of a breeze and you forgot your jacket so are a tiny bit cold, but pretty much managable.

Babybuff wrote: »
    we're going for a beer in bout half an hour :)

( i really don't want to spoil the moment by stating my actual gender either ;))

Your reference to a cockblocker suggested there was a cock to block :D

Best of luck ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭heathersonline

Nah - but would love a good spoon. I think that would cure it

A spoon and a hot Richard and you'll be right as rain. I had an awful dose of the fear on Sunday, nothing better than the first sleep after it goes away though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Only had a proper dose of the fear once, have had 100 hundreds of horrible hangovers though :(

It happened after 2 days straight of drinking, I Finished drinking Saturday night after starting Friday morning. Didn't go to work Mon Tue or Wed and when I did on Thursday I still was majorly messed up.

Its not the physical symptoms for me that's the fear, of course its a big part of it, Its the pure physiological terror and almost downright insanity of your mind going @ 600mph 24 hours a day for days on end. Not being able to sleep, sweating dropping off you like a waterfall, not being able to eat a thing or doing any activity since you mind feels like its trapped in some horrible dark evil place.

Absolutely horrible, for me it was caused by doing one or two stupid things like accusing a random stranger of robbing my phone, only to find it and apologized about it. Ok its a pretty scummy thing to do, but at the time it felt like the entire world around me was collapsing and felt like I murdered someone and hid a body. Feckin crazy!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

donalg1 wrote: »
    What is "the fear"?

Is it a hangover, if so why not just say hangover, where did all this fear stuff come from. Sounds like a load of bollocks to me

Yeah, I've only heard about this "fear" stuff in the last six months or so. Still have no clue what it is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭anhedonia

Coffee isn't dehydrating.

Maybe not.
    But it defintely makes the fear infinitely worse.
    Adding stimulants to anxiety is a rookie mistake if ever there was one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Sea Filly wrote: »
    Yeah, I've only heard about this "fear" stuff in the last six months or so. Still have no clue what it is!
    It's nothing new, people have used it for years. It's just become widely used lately.
    Some people use it instead of hangover, others use it when they fear they did something the night before.

These are both incorrect uses of the original slang meaning.
    The fear is part of the withdrawal process from alcohol that happens to people generally after 10 years or so of drinking.
    You experience anxiety amongst other symptoms, you actually fear being in public some times, you feel social anxiety, paranoia and become agoraphobic.
    You might also being thing you see things while in your house while trying to sleep, rats or monsters more often.
    You also might think you're having a panic attack or heart attack whilst trying to sleep.
    The fear is truly awful, as another poster said, you'll know it when you get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

The hangover horn is an insatiable monster, I could cut through steel with a hangover horn.

Hangover horn is all well and good when youre with a girl who is up for it, but a nightmare for us single lads.

My wrist sounds like a cement mixer after a hangover horn day. :(

To clarify,

the fear that you all seem to be describing is a mild form of delerium tremens (DTs), that is alcohol withdrawal. It is a medical condition, look it up.

A quote from the symptoms section of the wiki article:

"Delirium Tremens usually includes extremely intense feelings of "impending doom". Severe anxiety and feelings of imminent death are symptomatic of DT."

For me personally, I will experience mild DT smptoms after 3 nights heavy drinking in a row, or more than 24 hours straight drinking without sleep.

Any GABA-agonist medication will help: valium,xanax,rivotril stilnoct,zimovane etc.
    Antidepressants/SSRIs will be no help.

In the absence of helpful medication, you can either drink again or ride it out. suggested cures like fatty foods or hangover sex are laughable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

It's nothing new, people have used it for years. It's just become widely used lately.
    Some people use it instead of hangover, others use it when they fear they did something the night before.

These are both incorrect uses of the original slang meaning.
    The fear is part of the withdrawal process from alcohol that happens to people generally after 10 years or so of drinking.
    You experience anxiety amongst other symptoms, you actually fear being in public some times, you feel social anxiety, paranoia and become agoraphobic.
    You might also being thing you see things while in your house while trying to sleep, rats or monsters more often.
    You also might think you're having a panic attack or heart attack whilst trying to sleep.
    The fear is truly awful, as another poster said, you'll know it when you get it.

First time I got the actual fear (it's called the horrors up here:p) I sat for half a day in my living room with my mates, but I had my top covering half my face. I thought I was going to die.

Second time I got it very badly, I went to see shutter island down town with a mate I had to go meet at approx 10 o clock, I had to walk down and meet outside the cinema and was actually afraid walking up the street by myself. Watching the film was what I can only describe as absolute terror, tears streaming down my face, hididng behind the seat etc. I thought I was going to have to leave the film.

I get the horrors a lot more often now, deep pangs of regret, self loathing, the room is spinning, quickly changing from feeling fine to feeling like I am about to die. The only thing to do is stay in bed the entire day, get the laptop out, have a proper brekkie, drink plenty of whatever you want (no sauce mind you) and smoke a few spliffs watching films or listening to music.

Because I'm a bit older now and my hangovers are a given, and also alot worse than when I was younger, I am dreading the thought of this happening on holidays this year. It will be a 7 day drinking holiday, and it's magaluf so there will be nothing else to be at really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

anhedonia wrote: »
    To clarify,

the fear that you all seem to be describing is a form mild of delerium tremens (DTs), that is alcohol withdrawal. It is a medical condition, look it up.

A quote from the symptoms section of the wiki article:

"Delirium Tremens usually includes extremely intense feelings of "impending doom". Severe anxiety and feelings of imminent death are symptomatic of DT."

For me personally, I will experience mild DT smptoms after 3 nights heavy drinking in a row, or more than 24 hours straight drinking without sleep.

Any GABA-agonist medication will help: valium,xanax,rivotril stilnoct,zimovane etc.
    Antidepressants/SSRIs will be no help.

In the absence of helpful medication, you can either drink again or ride it out. suggested cures like fatty foods or hangover sex are laughable.

That's really interesting.
    I didn't know that at all.
    I thought only alcoholics experienced dt's, after long binges.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

That's really interesting.
    I didn't know that at all.
    I thought only alcoholics experienced dt's, after long binges.
    Yea it's mad what a homless alco must go through while trying to stop for the first time in years.

Yea it's mad what a homless alco must go through while trying to stop for the first time in years.

Yep, whatever about mild DT symptoms, full blown DTs is a different animal and requires medical supervision, can be fatal in something like 30% of cases due to seziures.

If you are on the absolute tear for 3 days straight, you are in effect drinking alcoholically for those 72 hours, and its not suprising you will suffer mild DT symptoms, which are a fcuking nightmare, and only mild in comparison to their full blown sibling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Is this like.. one of them parties where someone finsd the stash a dealer's stash down teh back o teh couch.. n so we're never gonna leave, despite the not too subtleties of you crashing teh hoover into our shins

LH Pathe wrote: »
    Is this like.. one of them parties where someone finsd the stash a dealer's stash down teh back o teh couch.. n so we're never gonna leave, despite the not too subtleties of you crashing teh hoover into our shins

not entirely unlike one of them parties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

Serious case of the fear today :(

Back to work to dreaded taught of someone mentioning seeing me in town the weekend. I was in a bad way to say the least - all day drinking is not my Friend. Either are the bouncers in fitzsimons temple bar :o

Help me

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

SunnyDub1 wrote: »
    Serious case of the fear today :(

Back to work to dreaded taught of someone mentioning seeing me in town the weekend. I was in a bad way to say the least - all day drinking is not my Friend. Either are the bouncers in fitzsimons temple bar :o

Help me

I feel your pain.

Think of it as penance for all the debauchery ye partook in over the weekend.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

weemcd wrote: »
    Second time I got it very badly, I went to see shutter island....Watching the film was what I can only describe as absolute terror, tears streaming down my face, hididng behind the seat etc. I thought I was going to have to leave the film.

Well it sure as fuçk wasn't the film that had you like that.

Anyone experiencing the fear after their midweek whiskey and coffee binges? I don't get the fear much at all, but an entire bottle of whiskey and 8 espressos yesterday was enough to enduce mild mania. I wasn't running around screaming and crying, but it was relatively extreme for what I had imbibed. An empty stomach and dehydration probably didn't aid in affairs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement