Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bernese mountain dog lead training! :O

• 29-05-2012 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi all!

I got two gorgeous bernese mountain dogs for my 21st, Martha and Matilda. I'm absolutely mad about them but I'm having a problem training them to the lead.. They are quite nervous but improving as they are constantly around people at home. As soon as I try to bring them for a walk they freeze and refuse to budge. They're 7 months now and fairly big so any tips would be appreciated!

Thanks! :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

I would invest in a dogmatic head collar, I use them and find them brillant. You'll need to train both of them seperatly before you can take both out together. Are they sisters?

There's a good thread here recently about lead training.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ash:)

Ya they are sisters..I've been trying to train one more so than the other at the moment but she tends to just lie down and wag her tail as soon as i try to walk her..as soon as she sees the lead she goes off into a corner..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

At 7mts she knows what the lead is and maybe whoever had her before you tried some form of training and she has a bad association with it.

For now maybe just clip the leads onto their collar's and let them drag them around behind them.

Maybe it would also be good to sign them up for obedience classes.

Do you know who owned them before you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

ash:) wrote: »
    Ya they are sisters..I've been trying to train one more so than the other at the moment but she tends to just lie down and wag her tail as soon as i try to walk her..as soon as she sees the lead she goes off into a corner..

Out of interest why are you training one more than the other?

(I could be wrong) I'm getting from reading this that you are walking one of them on her own for training purposes?
    This for me would be the main reason she does not want to go out for a walk, she does not like leaving her pal behind! Have you got someone who could walk with you with her sister?

Like how you describe yours, my dog hates the thought of going for a walk even though once outside he loves being out and walking around, I have a bitch also and they are always together, I never take one out without the other! From reading your post Buddy reacts pretty much in a similar way, you would swear he is a beaten dog the way he goes on when I try put the lead on him!!

If your not doing it my suggestion is take the dogs out together with a second person walking the other dog, that way your not leaving one on their own and it may help if they are going out together! They are still very much puppies but at 7 months they are now bigger and stronger than almost all other adult dogs, being together for now at all walks will keep their confidence up even if they are showing nervous signs or when they are unsure about something!!

Advertisement