Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much does/should it cost for a small terrier (bitch) to be spayed

• 29-05-2012 12:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭

So few months ago I found a small terrier on the road and since then have been trying to find its owner and gone through all the usual channels (missed the thread on this forum though but a search turns up empty)

So after all this time myself and the better half have decided to hold on to her. So just wondering before i ring heaps of vets what would be the usual going rate for a spay? Or even (how could i put this) a temporary solution?

time and money is slightly tight at the minute as i have to go home at the weekend and we have a west highland terrier down there and well we all know what can happen!

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Usually depends on weight as the more they weigh the more anaestetic the vet will use.

I paid €180 to get a 20kg bitch done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

cheers this is only a small terrier around 5 or 6 kg so slightly less than that i guess. I know the overnight cost is quite a large chunk of change in the bill too but can't really complain about that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

danniemcq wrote: »
    cheers this is only a small terrier around 5 or 6 kg so slightly less than that i guess. I know the overnight cost is quite a large chunk of change in the bill too but can't really complain about that!

No overnight stay will be necessary. You will fast her from about 8 the night before and bring her into the surgery in the morning and the vet will do the op that morning and watch her in the surgery until you collect her again in the evening.

She'll be sore that night and whine alot but the following day she will feel much better. You'll have to have her on crate rest for a couple of days and no running, out on walks etc for about 14 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

It should be somewhere between €90 and €150 (ish) depending on location and vet. Most vets don't keep dogs overnight - you bring her in fasting first thing in the morning and then collect her before closing that evening. They are usually groggy and just want to sleep for the first day or two afterwards. You may be given a buster collar to keep her away from the stitches and she will need to be kept calm until they come out, no jumping etc. (usuallycomne out 10 days to two weeks after the operation). They may send you home with a day or two fo painkillers and antibiotics.

Ringing around is your best bet to see how much it will cost (a pain, I know!) and ask what is included in the price - some vets only quote the price of the operation itself, not the few extras that go along with it (painkillers, collar etc) so know what you are paying for before you get it done!

Is she in heat at the moment? (you said time was a bit tight and there is a Westie at home??)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 marijame

Please make sure they wear a collar and you keep an eye on them, My mother's dog died from horrendous injuries, she did to herself from biting her wound open. Many dogs react to pain by biting and picking at the area that hurts and if not prevented from doing so, can cause serious harm to themselves. Although this happened years ago, when people just didn't question what a vet said (he told her that she'd be fine without a collar) My Mother is still traumatised by the sight that greeted her the next morning, when it was already too late to save the poor dog.

• Advertisement

RubyGirl wrote: »
    No overnight stay will be necessary. You'll have to have her on crate rest for a couple of days and no running, out on walks etc for about 14 days.

huh thanks for that!
    You may be given a buster collar to keep her away from the stitches and she will need to be kept calm until they come out, no jumping etc. (usuallycomne out 10 days to two weeks after the operation). They may send you home with a day or two fo painkillers and antibiotics.

Ringing around is your best bet to see how much it will cost (a pain, I know!) and ask what is included in the price - some vets only quote the price of the operation itself, not the few extras that go along with it (painkillers, collar etc) so know what you are paying for before you get it done!

Is she in heat at the moment? (you said time was a bit tight and there is a Westie at home??)

yeah i was looking for a ballpark figure so i'd get an idea of what to expect if i was told 20 quid now i'd know something was up. issue is we're not really sure if she is in heat. As we've only had her since start of May we don't really know her quirks i guess you could say.

By that i mean we can't tell if she is peeing more than usual, she is panting more but can't blame her in this weather, haven't noticed any blood on the bedding but again wouldn't be noticable as the bedding is quite dark. she is friendlier but not sure if thats due to her getting used to us and being fed (she was very thin when i found her). I guess a trip to the vet would be able to say for sure once and for all
    marijame wrote: »
    Please make sure they wear a collar and you keep an eye on them, My mother's dog died from horrendous injuries, she did to herself from biting her wound open. Many dogs react to pain by biting and picking at the area that hurts and if not prevented from doing so, can cause serious harm to themselves. Although this happened years ago, when people just didn't question what a vet said (he told her that she'd be fine without a collar) My Mother is still traumatised by the sight that greeted her the next morning, when it was already too late to save the poor dog.

yeah thats a major thing we had a few dogs in the past when i was but a sprog and they all needed the collar. Sorry to hear about that experience though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

My 4kg yorkie cost €120 but the vets are expensive. Could have gotten her done for €80.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Susan Roulston, Newtowncunningham - it will be €90 max for a small terrier, give her a ring to double check as it's been a while since I asked!

You drop the dog off at 10am, collect her again in the afternoon. With bitches a few days off work is good if possible to keep an eye on them. Keep her warm for the first night, while the anaesthetic fully wears off.
    Mine has a coat with a splash guard that I put on her and it covered the stitches, so didn't the cone.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

my 35kg bitch cost 130 so it should be under the 100 for a small bitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

my 35kg bitch cost 130 so it should be under the 100 for a small bitch.

That's very cheap for a 35kg bitch! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

€130 for a 35kg bitch is really, really cheap - I would expect to get a 8kg dog done for that!

Danniemcq - if you think she could be in heat, you will need to wait to have her spayed. It is more dangerous for the dog to get her done while in heat and most vets won't do it unless it is an emergency and a threat to the dogs health. If she is not in heat, I would get her done asap just to be sure. Explain the situation to the vet and they will be bale to advise you on what to do - some may want you to wait until she does come into heat and then get her done afterwards while some will be willing to do it for you now. Because you have only had her a number of weeks, personally, I would put her behavioural changes down to settling in with you.

Forgot to mention - if you are in receipt of Social Welfare payments, you may be able to get her done for €20 under the Dogs Trust scheme. You will need to ask the vet about this and see if they have any vouchers left (they go very quickly). Just to let you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭janmaree

I was just wondering if she might have been spayed already, since you found her rather than having her from the beginning. I'd be inclined to talk to the Vet about that because it's bad enough going through it once without having to go through it again! I'm not sure how they check but maybe an x-ray? Good luck.

Thanks for all the replies, judging by her antics over the lasy 24-48 hours it seems she is in heat so that kinda throws a spanner in the works for this weekend. (extra pee, extra aftection and constantly warm) also can't see any scars or anything so its all stacking up.

I will look into the whole social welfare thing as GF is currently unemployeed so that could work after this!

gonna be a fun weekend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Is she bleeding?

hard to tell really, her bed is dark in colour so can't really see spotting on it. must take a closer look at the couch she jumps on though its cream so should notice there.

Looking at the list of signs she has most of them though (licking, extra affection, peeing, constantly running from door to door) but must have a look later and see if vulva is swollen) I think a trip to the vet is needed but gonna have to wait and see what the story is with the discount for social welfare

Advertisement