Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

regional work through agencies???

Options
  • 29-05-2012 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

hey guys and girls, i am just wondering does anybody have any experience of using agencies for regional work. it's me and my girlfriend, we are in Perth and thinking of going to Margaret river to do it. the main reason i ask is you never really see jobs advertised for regional work. i found these agencies through a hostels website by the way.
    i am just wondering would i be expected to stay at the hostel or would it be dreaming to think the companies the agency uses would provide accommodation??
    so basically what do you guys think?? or does anyone have any better ideas about finding regional work??
    thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

sjoyce87 wrote: »
    hey guys and girls, i am just wondering does anybody have any experience of using agencies for regional work. it's me and my girlfriend, we are in Perth and thinking of going to Margaret river to do it. the main reason i ask is you never really see jobs advertised for regional work. i found these agencies through a hostels website by the way.
    i am just wondering would i be expected to stay at the hostel or would it be dreaming to think the companies the agency uses would provide accommodation??
    so basically what do you guys think?? or does anyone have any better ideas about finding regional work??
    thanks.
    I hear some of the hostels will provide work through agencies in Margaret river. I tried this place but they are booked up:
    http://www.margaretriverbackpackers.com.au/backpackers/index.htm

I need to ring a few more.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭vill@in

Hey there. I did my 3 months regional work in Margaret River, had an awesome time and would thoroughly recommend it. I spent a couple of days scouting for jobs in Perth through agencies, but unless you have a few weeks to persevere with the process involved, its not really worth it imo. I jumped on a bus and rocked up to Margs with no real plan.

There are 3 or 4 agencies in the town, and they are nearly always looking for staff (depending on time of the season). I worked for a company called Labour Solutions, and they simply arrange work directly with vineyards - there are no constraints with having to stay anywhere, nor is accomodation provided. You can also try Vine Power. It will help massively if you have your own vehicle, but its not essential. They will arrange transport with colleagues which you pay a per diem rate for. You could ring them and see what the work is like at the moment if that helps? Obviously its fairly seasonal.

There are 2 hostels in Margs - the backpackers linked to above, and a place called Innetown Backpackers (where I stayed for 3.5 months). Innetown is a little smaller, and cheaper, but the other backpackers is newer. The hostels are geared for workers and can help you out with finding work - vineyard or otherwise. The manager in Innetown used to get locals ringing him looking for people to do gardening and stuff so there is casual labour available. The local bars/cafes are also lookin for staff from time to time so you should get some cash coming in sooner rather than later.

If you guys want I can answer any more questions you might have but I cant recommend Margs enough. Its can be a bit expensive but its a great little town, close to some awesome beaches, and so many wineries in the area (unless goon in ur thing) that you'll never be bored.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭lippy11

Place an ad on Gumtree! That's what myself and my other half did.. We received 3 calls offering us work. Had a think about them and we accepted our second offer, just into our 8th week now.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

vill@in wrote: »

There are 2 hostels in Margs - the backpackers linked to above, and a place called Innetown Backpackers (where I stayed for 3.5 months). Innetown is a little smaller, and cheaper, but the other backpackers is newer .

Hows InnTown back packers? We're staying there in June for a week while we look for work in the Margaret River.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭vill@in

Hows InnTown back packers? We're staying there in June for a week while we look for work in the Margaret River.

Innetown's a small but decent hostel. The maximum capacity is about 40 - there's 3 8-bed rooms, 2 6-bed dorms, and a few smaller rooms. Its clean, well stocked with all the usual amenities, and when I stayed there most people were very friendly. As I said, I lasted nearly 3 1/2 months (which I didnt think I would). The manager, an English guy called Kieran will try to help with getting work if he can, and they used to do a BBQ on a Friday night for $5 all u can eat. Depending on if there is vineyard work going, most of the people staying are workers so you get used to everybody there - almost like a big share house with lots of your mates! Hope you like it there...

• Advertisement
Advertisement