Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dropping to Ordinary Level

• 29-05-2012 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭

Edit: derp sorry for the vague ass title..

Well I have sort of a unique situation here. Basically I'm doing 8 honours subjects so I have not attended English class all year. I have always assumed I could definitely scrape a passing grade, but now I'm not so sure.

I got 84% in the Paper 1 mock(as you can bull**** your way through this without having done any work) but didn't do paper 2. I couldn't tell you any poems by any of the prescribed poets, know my comparative texts fairly well from 5th year, same with Hamlet quotes.

Basically I'm wondering if I should drop to pass English, seeing as how I shall definitely not be using it for points. Or will I be able to pass honours in with my current situation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭smithy77

I think O.L english have different texts? I could be wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 hyper_on_water

You'd probably be able to get away with your comparative and Hamlet, but the poetry you'd have to cram... there's a huge selection of poets! And yeah, from what I know the questions are asked totally differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Nicole.

smithy77 wrote: »
    I think O.L english have different texts? I could be wrong though.

As far as I can see the options for the comparative are the same. This link shows what choices are on the comparative this year for English. http://www.education.ie/servlet/blobservlet/lc_pm_english.pdf?language=EN

The prescribed poetry is only worth 10% I think (excluding Hamlet) but it would be very difficult to get poetry done now. I'm stressing because I have to learn one poet during the week but everyone is different. Paper two could pose a challenge to you unless you've had your exam questions corrected by teachers or someone qualified during the year though.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

Sorry to bump this, but do many courses (bar obviously Enlgish studies etc) require Higher English?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

I don't think any courses need HL English. Once you have two HL C3s, four passes, and have sat and passed an English, Irish and Mathd exam you can do most courses.

Of course though for most language courses you'd need a HL C3 in a language, for science ones you'd need at least one science etc

I'd say stick with the HL English though. Loads of people get through it even if they only studied one poet and they didn't come up, so you'll probably be fine once you stay within the time restraints and that. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement