Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power Supply Cable Query

Options
  • 29-05-2012 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭

Hi fellas, quick question for ye!

I have a spare modular Corsair HX850 PSU after I replaced it with a fanless SilverPower.

Can I use the modular sata power cables from the Corsair with the SilverPower unit? Both are rebranded Seasonic so hopefully I'll be in luck!!

I need to do it because the Corsair cables have more sata power connectors than the SilverPower and if possible I won't need to use adapters etc.

I've attached some pics but not sure how useful they are.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Moo

SilverPower PSU connections.jpg

SilverPower cables.jpg

HX850 connections.jpg

HX850 CABLES.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Hi fellas, quick question for ye!

I have a spare modular Corsair HX850 PSU after I replaced it with a fanless SilverPower.

Can I use the modular sata power cables from the Corsair with the SilverPower unit? Both are rebranded Seasonic so hopefully I'll be in luck!!

I need to do it because the Corsair cables have more sata power connectors than the SilverPower and if possible I won't need to use adapters etc.

I've attached some pics but not sure how useful they are.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Moo

SilverPower PSU connections.jpg

SilverPower cables.jpg

HX850 connections.jpg

HX850 CABLES.jpg

I would advise against it. There is no universal standard for modular cables, so even if the connectors at one end look similar, they could be totally different. For example if the top left pin for the Corsair is +12V but the top left pin for the Silverstone is +5V, you are going to end up with smoke and dead components.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭M00lers

deconduo wrote: »
    I would advise against it. There is no universal standard for modular cables, so even if the connectors at one end look similar, they could be totally different. For example if the top left pin for the Corsair is +12V but the top left pin for the Silverstone is +5V, you are going to end up with smoke and dead components.

Thanks deconduo, it's a Silverpower not a Silverstone.

I wouldn't even have thought about mixing cables but they are both "Seasonic" manufactured OEM PSUs, so thought I might get away with it.

Any surefire way to verify the that cable orientation is the same on both cables?

EDIT: Would it be feasible to plug the Corsair HX850 modular SATA power cable into the SilverPower and connect a spare 2.5" HDD to check if it works?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Thanks deconduo, it's a Silverpower not a Silverstone.

I wouldn't even have thought about mixing cables but they are both "Seasonic" manufactured OEM PSUs, so thought I might get away with it.

Any surefire way to verify the that cable orientation is the same on both cables?

EDIT: Would it be feasible to plug the Corsair HX850 modular SATA power cable into the SilverPower and connect a spare 2.5" HDD to check if it works?

You can't even mix cables between the same brands in most cases, for example Corsair AX and Corsair HX modular cables don't mix. You could try it of course, but there's a high possibility of something going wrong. Given that even the PCI-E cables take different connectors I wouldn't risk it at all.

deconduo wrote: »
    You can't even mix cables between the same brands in most cases, for example Corsair AX and Corsair HX modular cables don't mix. You could try it of course, but there's a high possibility of something going wrong. Given that even the PCI-E cables take different connectors I wouldn't risk it at all.

Thanks again, I'll have a closer look tonight, I'll probably chicken out though, just in case. I just didn't want to use splitters, adapters etc.
    Would it be feasible to plug the Corsair HX850 modular SATA power cable into the SilverPower and connect a spare 2.5" HDD to check if it works?

What the worst that could happen in this situation? I break the HDD or PSU, both?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

you can get sata plugs that 'bite' into your current cables, if that's an option.

• Advertisement

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    you can get sata plugs that 'bite' into your current cables, if that's an option.
    Good call Tea_Bag, I've seen it done but it never entered my head, thanks?
    Any links for suitable SATA plugs with "teeth"? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

If you have a nearby Molex cable available, you could use a Molex to SATA adapter like this.

From looking at the physical connectors on both PSU's, they look similar..so the second option is that you could track down a pinout diagram from Corsair and one from Silverpower and see if they are similar. Could also check with a multimeter & check with a SATA pinout diagram. If you need to rearrange the pins at the PSU connector there is a tool for same here.
    Bit of hassle tbh.:)
    Third option is to see if you could track down Silverpower extension cables/longer cables.

Thanks glynf, good info there, I'm trying to be as liberal as I can with cables and adapters etc.

The SilverPower sata cable has 3 connectors, I need 4 sata and 1 molex (1 SSD, 1 x 2.5" HDD, 1 x 3.5" HDD, 1 x Bluray drive and 1 molex for a fan controller), I'm hoping to run them all off the same cable. I'll need to use a sata to molex adapter for the fan controller regardless. I'll just have to get stuck in and see what I end up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Think I got a similar molex-SATA power with my SSD (crucial M4), you might get similar bundeled if its a new SSD..

Advertisement