Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much did you spend on "The Ring"?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭goingpostal1

Malari wrote: »
    She should probably rethink that, if the guy's a cyclist. If you are spending upwards of 5-6k on a hobby it might be a good sign he has a bit of spare cash ;)

I'm another who wouldn't expect a big flashy ring. If we were going to do that I'd like to exchange gifts, so it wasn't so one-sided.

Good point, an expensive bike and accessories is a sign of financial firepower;-) However, you need to know what you are looking at, in her mind, using a bike meant you couldn't afford a BMW or Merc. The exchanging gifts idea is a good one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

bluewolf wrote: »
    Yes, but I haven't met him in real life :)
    You probably have; ask a few guys you know who are married or engaged how much the ring cost and who paid. If you think the amount paid by them was high (up to you what you consider high) then ask them why they did so.

My experience of such men is that many will blame the woman, or otherwise grumble, but often would never have bought a cheap ring anyway for largely 'patriarchal' reasons.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Think i paid 2200. It's a nice ring, so i don't mind. Was one of a kind, till the jeweller stuck it up on his website.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

Unreg Bart wrote: »
    I have noted which styles she likes, and today saw a ring for 2k which I think I can pay for by the end of this year.

She does however know a little about diamonds, so she'll be able to roughly guess the value of any ring I produce.

I reckon that all women (engaged or otherwise!) know a little about diamonds, but you'd really need to be a highly skilled gemmologist to be able to assess the value of stones just by looking at them. And even then it's subjective & variable.

If she's indicated a style (or even better, a specific ring) that she likes, take the hint! This is probably the ring she wants. Go talk to the jeweller. They might be able to give you an identical ring for a far lower price (switch a platinum band for 14/18k white gold, get a very slightly lighter weight band, same cut & carat stones with slightly more inclusions / lower colour grade). I used to work for a company that made mostly engagement rings, & have seen identical finished rings with massively different price tags. :eek: Only if you're going to search for hallmarks on the shank & certificates for the stones will you be able to tell the difference! :rolleyes:

I think most sensible* women would understand that the style of ring is the most important aspect. A €500 ring that suits her hand & style (of fashion & accessorising etc.) is going to look much better than a gigantic €10K bauble that doesn't "go" with her style at all. So I hope you have one of the sensible ones this time round, rather than one who wants to dazzle people with uber-bling.

As one other poster said, if you're at the stage of proposing, I'd assume she's familiar with your financial situation & won't expect you to spend more than you can afford. Well I hope not anyway :)

When I do eventually get engaged ;) I think I'd want to pick or make the ring myself (I'm a trainee jeweller). I've tried on 1000s of engagement rings (in a professional capacity of course!) and still haven't found the right ring for me. The more identi-kit engagement rings I see, and the more I learn about gem stones, the less I like the "traditional" diamond rings. It'll be yellow gold with coloured stones for me I think. And I won't be spending the price of a great honeymoon on it!

* no comments about lack of availability of sensible women please! :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Malari wrote: »
    She should probably rethink that, if the guy's a cyclist. If you are spending upwards of 5-6k on a hobby it might be a good sign he has a bit of spare cash ;)

Nearly choked on my coffee there. how much for a bicycle??? In your case I think she will want an expensive ring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Nearly choked on my coffee there. how much for a bicycle??? In your case I think she will want an expensive ring

Haha! No, I'm a girl :) But that would be about average for a decent bike. Most cyclists I know would have two or three bikes though. And a couple of grand on a spare set of wheels too. But this is off topic. Just saying you can't judge by appearances on who is wealthy or not when you are starting off dating ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I got a vintage ring from http://www.rubylane.com/ landed here for less than a grand. Got it valued for the insurance and it came back at just under €8k!:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

The more identi-kit engagement rings I see, and the more I learn about gem stones, the less I like the "traditional" diamond rings. It'll be yellow gold with coloured stones for me I think. And I won't be spending the price of a great honeymoon on it!

You dropping hints here? :D

py2006 wrote: »
    You dropping hints here? :D

Ha! No; at just 5 months in, even though I already know he's the one :) it's a bit soon to be at that! Anyway, I'm not a good enough jeweller to make a ring I will wear for the rest of my life yet! :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Ha! No; at just 5 months in, even though I already know he's the one :) it's a bit soon to be at that! Anyway, I'm not a good enough jeweller to make a ring I will wear for the rest of my life yet! :P

So your skill as a jeweller will determine when you get engaged???:D I hope you have told him that

• Advertisement

Poor guy has his work cut out for him picking a ring for a gal who is a jeweler. :eek:

So your skill as a jeweller will determine when you get engaged???:D I hope you have told him that

As I said, at FIVE months it's a bit soon to be talking about that! But he does know my training plans for at least the next 5 years, so if he sticks with me through all that, I'll happily sign a form in the registry office and head out for dinner-for-two & a few cocktails, wearing a ring from a hallowe'en brack* :D Actually if he asked me tomorrow I'd be happy to do this :p (Or I'll just whip up 2 plain metal bands, even I can manage that much!)
    py2006 wrote: »
    Poor guy has his work cut out for him picking a ring for a gal who is a jeweler. :eek:

When I was in school I worked in an electronics store & an ex-boyfriend bought me a disc-man for a birthday. His friend said it was like giving meat to a butcher :rolleyes: Was still a good gift!

Actually the more I learn, the less I like what I see! For example, I'm far less impressed with diamonds than I would have been 2 years ago. I'm much more open to cheaper coloured stones, & I know what I'm talking about when I look at jewellery so I'm not dazzled by the price tag. (I can't really afford to shop for jewellery, it's all just window-shopping / part of my education at the moment ;) )

*Although in a dream world I would have my ring commissioned from these guys http://www.dacapo.ie

As I said, at FIVE months it's a bit soon to be talking about that! But he does know my training plans for at least the next 5 years, so if he sticks with me through all that, I'll happily sign a form in the registry office and head out for dinner-for-two & a few cocktails, wearing a ring from a hallowe'en brack* :D Actually if he asked me tomorrow I'd be happy to do this :p (Or I'll just whip up 2 plain metal bands, even I can manage that much!)

When I was in school I worked in an electronics store & an ex-boyfriend bought me a disc-man for a birthday. His friend said it was like giving meat to a butcher :rolleyes: Was still a good gift!

Actually the more I learn, the less I like what I see! For example, I'm far less impressed with diamonds than I would have been 2 years ago. I'm much more open to cheaper coloured stones, & I know what I'm talking about when I look at jewellery so I'm not dazzled by the price tag. (I can't really afford to shop for jewellery, it's all just window-shopping / part of my education at the moment ;) )

*Although in a dream world I would have my ring commissioned from these guys http://www.dacapo.ie

Hah! Well lets hope he isn't aware of your Boards account!

One word, "Awkward" ...

Hah! Well lets hope he isn't aware of your Boards account!

One word, "Awkward" ...[/Quote]

Nope not awkward. He knows I use boards. He knows I love him & want to spend the rest of my life with him. He knows I don't fancy a big white wedding for 300 of my closest friends. He knows I'm less than enthusiastic about traditional looking engagement rings (from me talking about work). And knowing all this, even this early on, he's not running as far & as fast as he can. Because we work better together than either of us could ever have imagined. (You can puke now if you like ;) )

Anyway, back to helping the original poster!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Jogathon wrote: »
    If I ever got engaged I would like a really nice ring, expensive (circa 3-4 thou) but I would gladly pay for half of it! It's not realistic to expect the guy to pay extra because I would want something that's a bit dearer than normal!

On the other hand, a friend has recently got engaged and I know that the ring was under €1,000. The guy had set the limit at that - he can afford more. It looks a bit measly on her hand I think but she loves it and that's what matters. However, I couldn't care less what they spend on the ring but it shows up some cracks in their relationship....he holds the purse and holds it tight. She gets a weekly allowance and I'm not sure that it's always enough. She's a teacher and so earns a good wage. So I don't know .... don't spend on the ring or spend on the ring but don't be tight!!!

By the way OP - let her pick one out!!!!

She must be mad marrying him! Letting a boyfriend basically take your wages off you is terrible. Poor woman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

How do people know how much friends etc spend on rings? I would never ask someone how much the ring cost!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭goingpostal1

This thread reminds me of this song:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

This may seem like a stupid question but, if a woman proposes, does she have to buy a ring?
    Why is it always men that have to propose and buy a ring?
    Im just curious, maybe I sound insane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

inmyday wrote: »
    This may seem like a stupid question but, if a woman proposes, does she have to buy a ring?

Not insane at all, in this day and age (much as I hate phrases like that) it should be equal, I would've had no problem proposing, but many women - and men - still hate the idea.

• Advertisement

Don't know if there's a tradition of the woman buying the ring if she proposes.

No matter who does the proposing in my relationship, if we ever get that far our finances will already be joined, so I'd expect to be paying half.

I would have no problem doing the proposing (no time soon, and definitely not on Feb 29th). I asked Mr Shortie Chik out in the first place ;)

I don't know, but I have seen an exchange of gifts taking place more often; woman gets the ring from the man, and she in turn buys him a watch of similar value.
    A man typically proposes because it's the last choice he'll ever get to make...

A man typically proposes because it's the last choice he'll ever get to make...

Haha, harsh!!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Noisin

I think its madness spending massive money on an engagement ring. Im working I have savings, my jobs in secure at the minute and I would not spend excessive money on a ring. My other half is not working due to the recession but is back in college. I am in the process of looking at rings. We are going to Antwerp and our budget is 3,000 to 3,500 and I know what I want so If I see what I want for less i will spend less. I hope the recession has brought a lot of people back down to reality if nothing elsw. I think its ridiculous spending 5-10k or 3 months salary Id rather spend that money towards a new car. And I could spend that if I wanted to but I wouldn't ever. Its crazy....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

If someone expected me to spend 3 months salary on an engagement ring they wouldn't be the one for me.

This!

If my BF proposed to me going by those guidelines, the ring would cost around 8000! :eek: That's a lot of money to spend on a woman who doesn't wear jewellery!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

The wedding ring has to be the biggest waste of money in western society. What is it, a down payment?
    Why not spend the money on something actually useful?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

When I get engaged I'd like a pair of shoes, nice ones, instead of a ring.

Can't believe some people would consider spending well into the 0000s on a ring. :/
    As long as she loves it, at the end of the day that's all that should matter, be that 80 euro or 800 euro. It's the question and the promise that's more important than the symbol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    The wedding ring has to be the biggest waste of money in western society. What is it, a down payment?

Thankfully for me my girlfriend made diamonds at the time and realised how worthless they were :pac: Off the hook for expensive ring and got a (still reasonably expensive) simple band with a small stone on it.

She went and left it in a bathroom in Heathrow:rolleyes:
    The travel insurance covered it, got a replacement from Blue Nile and a good night out from the payout and turns out the new one is worth 30% more than it cost due to the type of Sapphire they put in it clearly without realising or caring that it was Burmese. I reckon they must have gotten a bulk order and not been aware they were more valuable or something! :D

Thankfully for me my girlfriend made diamonds at the time and realised how worthless they were :pac: Off the hook for expensive ring and got a (still reasonably expensive) simple band with a small stone on it.

She went and left it in a bathroom in Heathrow:rolleyes:
    The travel insurance covered it, got a replacement from Blue Nile and a good night out from the payout and turns out the new one is worth 30% more than it cost due to the type of Sapphire they put in it clearly without realising or caring that it was Burmese. I reckon they must have gotten a bulk order and not been aware they were more valuable or something! :D

Having worked in Blue Nile, I guarantee you they did not "not realise or care" about the value of the stones they set in your ring! They are extremely cost-conscious (you wouldn't believe the measures they take!)

However, some jewellers won't purchase Burmese stones anymore. For example, the best rubies come from Myanmar, but Tiffany & Co don't sell rubies now as they don't agree with the regime there. Now they sell pink sapphires instead. (The difference between a ruby & a pink sapphire is just the colour, as they're the same family of stones - corundum, so a pinkish ruby could be called a sapphire, or a reddish sapphire could be called a ruby).

Blue Nile don't sell conflict diamonds (they only buy from Kimberly Process suppliers), but a similar process is not in place for other coloured stones.

Believe me, people working in the gem industry know what they're handling and they know its market value better than anyone else! Where did you get the ring valued? (Just out of semi-professional curiosity! :p)

Also your girlfriend made diamonds? Like synthetics in a lab? In Ireland? I've studied gemmology & would love to know more! :D

• Site Banned Posts: 2 Woowoowoowoo

I spent zero on mine, my mother in law gave me her grandmother's to propose with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

--Kaiser-- wrote: »

It's virginity insurance...originally the idea was that often people who were engaged to be married would have sex before the wedding at some point... but if the chap ran off before actually marrying her she'd be damaged goods so the value of the ring was insurance against him deflowering her and then changing his mind...

The amount you should pay was decided by a marketing people for De Beers and started at 1 months pay but when men were willing to pay that it jumped up to 2 because 1 was standard and so you wouldn't want to look cheap, now it's 3 because 2 was the standard and you don't want to look cheap.

I know a woman that got basically 3 engagement rings and a wedding ring. Or rather a pre engagement ring, a promise ring and the actual engagement ring...

• Advertisement

kiffer wrote: »
    It's virginity insurance...originally the idea was that often people who were engaged to be married would have sex before the wedding at some point... but if the chap ran off before actually marrying her she'd be damaged goods so the value of the ring was insurance against him deflowering her and then changing his mind...
    Basically 99% of rings shouldn't even be bought in the first place as they're moot...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

My other half's ring was an art-deco antique that had a freshwater pearl as the main stone with some small diamonds either side. Got it at auction and it cost about the same price as a good meal with a decent bottle of wine. The jeweller who re-sized it for us told me I'd paid "band-price" for the ring and that he'd list it for 6-9 times the value I paid.

I actually thought it was too cheap as I was looking at around the 1500/2000 mark but it was exactly what she wanted so I was delighted to go along with it!

There's some seriously good value in antiques (or as good value as exists for diamonds which are horrifically over-priced) and no moral worries about conflict stones.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Xidu

Me n my husband chose diamond together after we were engaged. It was ab €3.5k 5years ago. But he upgraded a €6k diamond for me 1 year ago as a surprise as he got a big bonus that year. I think it was because I occasionly half joke about my diamond is small. Some women like big diamond, some thinks it's just a stone.

Xidu wrote: »
    Me n my husband chose diamond together after we were engaged. It was ab €3.5k 5years ago. But he upgraded a €6k diamond for me 1 year ago as a surprise as he got a big bonus that year. I think it was because I occasionly half joke about my diamond is small. Some women like big diamond, some thinks it's just a stone.

Wow!!! Did you go half for it or was all the expense on him?
    If my wife 'joked' that something I spent so much on after working so hard for the money was too small she would be quickly told where the diamond would be best placed*.:D
    I would think in these days of equality if a woman wants a big diamond and can afford it she should by all means purchase it.

*which she wouldn't of course as she is grateful for the sentiment rather than the value

Wow!!! Did you go half for it or was all the expense on him?
    If my wife 'joked' that something I spent so much on after working so hard for the money was too small she would be quickly told where the diamond would be best placed*.:D
    I would think in these days of equality if a woman wants a big diamond and can afford it she should by all means purchase it.

*which she wouldn't of course as she is grateful for the sentiment rather than the value

Why you think go half? We are married, it's our money. Why you think he works hard to get paid yet I didn't work hard to cook for him everyday, wash his dirty clothes and iron them every 2 days? I look after him when he is sick, I look after 2 kids most of the time? I make him laugh and happy?

Ah! Why man buy a big diamond means sacrifice? With this logic, can I say bride pay for wedding is a bigger sacrifice, spending the rest of life to look after a man means sacrifice.

With your logic, Why a man can spend €200 every single year on match tickets and drive the whole way to Dublin is not meatless? I think it's those sports club companies trick to made you guys devote your money to them.

Diamond is luxury stuff, I like it because people comments on my ring" wow, I like your ring, it's beautiful, can I try it on" then I feel good, it's kind of prove that I am spoiled by my husband, all women want to be spoiled by their husbands. You can say i am shallow, Just like man would prefer his wife is hot and elegant...

If you can't afford then it's a different story. I think 2-3month salary is a reasonable spending on a diamond ring. Your future wife will wear it for the rest of her life.

Op has a different case coz he has mortgage to pay.

I think 2-3month salary is a reasonable spending on a diamond ring. Your future wife will wear it for the rest of her life.
    Even after she divorces you..?

Diamond is luxury stuff, I like it because people comments on my ring" wow, I like your ring, it's beautiful, can I try it on" then I feel good, it's kind of prove that I am spoiled by my husband, all women want to be spoiled by their husbands. You can say i am shallow, Just like man would prefer his wife is hot and elegant...

Please don't speak for me. Thanks.

You can say i am shallow

I didn't say you were shallow.........
    Just like man would prefer his wife is hot and elegant...
    I would prefer my wife to be good company before hot and elegant*. I would also prefer a wife who is grateful for a ring that 90% of the population of the world cannot afford rather than whinging that she wants a bigger diamond to impress her friends.

*although I am spoilt by having all three

Why you think go half? We are married, it's our money.
    How come it's always the person who brings in no money that talks about it being 'our' money?
    Why you think he works hard to get paid yet I didn't work hard to cook for him everyday, wash his dirty clothes and iron them every 2 days?
    I'd be careful about putting a price on the such services. A part-time housekeeper actually works out a lot cheaper than a wife - especially given that they'd be doing housework for only one person.
    I look after him when he is sick
    And he doesn't look after you when you're sick?
    I look after 2 kids most of the time?
    I presume they're your kids too.
    I make him laugh and happy?
    You want remuneration for this? He doesn't make you laugh and happy? If not, what are you doing with him?

I'm surprised you didn't include sexual services too, on your list. Surely if you want remuneration for making him laugh and happy, you'll want payment for that?
    Ah! Why man buy a big diamond means sacrifice? With this logic, can I say bride pay for wedding is a bigger sacrifice, spending the rest of life to look after a man means sacrifice.
    Assuming he does absolutely nothing in terms of looking after you, outside of providing financially, what you're largely suggesting is the old traditional model of marriage.

If so, and you both agree to this model, then fair enough. But then it is for life - no divorce, even if he gives you a slap once in a while to keep you in line or has a bit on the side. After all, that too was accepted as part of the old traditional model of marriage.

Be careful what you wish for...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Why you think go half? We are married, it's our money. Why you think he works hard to get paid yet I didn't work hard to cook for him everyday, wash his dirty clothes and iron them every 2 days? I look after him when he is sick, I look after 2 kids most of the time? I make him laugh and happy?
    Would you consider the notion of telling him to pitch in round the house every once in a while? Most men, although not all it has to be said, are fairly well house trained in this day and age to be honest.
    Heck, maybe even yourself get a job and contribute a few bob, then ye can spend yer money?
    I thought marriage was supposed to be something people wanted to do as opposed to a sacrifice? It appears I've been mis-informed. (Checks calender, nope, not the dark ages no more)
    Bottom line, sacrifices are made on either side in a marriage. It's not purely the woman who's doing all the sacrificing.
    With your logic, Why a man can spend €200 every single year on match tickets and drive the whole way to Dublin is not meatless? I think it's those sports club companies trick to made you guys devote your money to them.
    Women don't like sports? Yoga, Pilates, dance classes, a day trip to the spa etc etc. Ara stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

How come it's always the person who brings in no money that talks about it being 'our' money?

I'd be careful about putting a price on the such services. A part-time housekeeper actually works out a lot cheaper than a wife - especially given that they'd be doing housework for only one person.

And he doesn't look after you when you're sick?

I presume they're your kids too.

You want remuneration for this? He doesn't make you laugh and happy? If not, what are you doing with him?

I'm surprised you didn't include sexual services too, on your list. Surely if you want remuneration for making him laugh and happy, you'll want payment for that?

Assuming he does absolutely nothing in terms of looking after you, outside of providing financially, what you're largely suggesting is the old traditional model of marriage.

If so, and you both agree to this model, then fair enough. But then it is for life - no divorce, even if he gives you a slap once in a while to keep you in line or has a bit on the side. After all, that too was accepted as part of the old traditional model of marriage.

Be careful what you wish for...

Domestic abuse was never an acceptable part of marriage and I really dont like someone trying to take from the positives of marriage by suggesting it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

In fairness, while it had never been acceptable, it was and continues to be accepted in some instances.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Whippersnapper

I'm a woman and if my partner spent over 300 quid on a ring I would tell them to bring it straight back to the shop. Shocking waste of money in my mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

Shocking waste of money in my mind.

My engagement ring is a beautiful piece of jewellery that I'll wear for the rest of my life and hopefully will pass on to my children in years to come. I see it as a lifelong investment. We paid for my engagement ring equally, it was about one months' salary for both of us. Anything but a waste of money to my mind :)

PucaMama wrote: »
    Domestic abuse was never an acceptable part of marriage and I really dont like someone trying to take from the positives of marriage by suggesting it is.
    Firstly domestic abuse, was even legislated for in the past (giving the husband the right to physically punish his wife), sanctioned by numerous religions and even featured in popular culture in a 'light hearted' manner until only a few decades ago (e.g. Andy Capp, The Honeymooners). So, I'm afraid you're quite wrong where it comes to it's past social acceptability.

Secondly, I am not taking away from "the positives of marriage", but the positives of a now antiquated traditional form of marriage that we've largely moved away from. I say largely, because it's clear that some still seem to remember only the positives of that past form, when the truth was not as rosy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

If I was getting engaged I know I'd be more happy about the prospect of spending the rest of my life with someone I love rather than worrying if he spent x amount of money on the ring.[/QUOTE]

Nicely said. I am shocked at how much is spent on a rings.. It is horrible to think people base things on how expensive a ring is. If I heard, that's if someone asked me!! that they have spent 1grand not to mind 3grand on a ring id nearly say no to the proposal as I wouldn't trust them not to spend made money on silly things.. My brother recently got married and they used my mums old ring, he got the diamond taken out of it and put in his beloveds silver ring sorted and he held onto the band...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Jerrica wrote: »
    My engagement ring is a beautiful piece of jewellery that I'll wear for the rest of my life and hopefully will pass on to my children in years to come. I see it as a lifelong investment. We paid for my engagement ring equally, it was about one months' salary for both of us. Anything but a waste of money to my mind :)
    That said many people wear jewellery every day, and pass it down through generations, and they only ever pay fairly modest sums for it.

I would consider diamond engagement rings a waste of money. With a wedding and possibly children to begin paying for in the future, the money would be better off being put to one side, for a rainy day. Especially in the current economic climate.

I had a friend who's engagement fell through, and to see how little he got back compared to what he spent on the ring would break your heart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Don't wear jewellery and would set absolutely no value on an expensive piece of jewellery. It wouldn't mean anything to me and anyone that would even consider marrying me would know that so would hope I'm never proposed to with a ring.

He can buy me a deadly pair of shoes instead. And propose with them. And I can wear them on my wedding day. Hopefully they're bright and sparkly. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Whippersnapper

I would put the money into an amazing honeymoon, something we will share and never forget.

Advertisement