Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSc Computer Science ... what am I in for?

Options
  • 29-05-2012 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi guys. So I got accepted to the MSc Computer Science by Negotiated Learning and I'm looking forward to it, but I was hoping people here with experience of the course could clear some things up for me.

I'm coming from a Physics background (so my math is fine!). I have experience in C ... nothing incredibly complex, but I have the jist of it, and I am currently reading K&R's classic text on C to boost my knowledge.

Do they run any basic courses in programming at all? What kind of knowledge is expected of the students? I've spoken to the coordinator and she advised me I could transfer to the Conversion course if I found it too difficult. She seemed to be happy with my C knowledge.

I'm a bit familiar with OOP concepts like in Java, but haven't programmed in it really. I've zero knowledge of C++, HTML, anything else really

And as regards the course in general, how did/do you find the workload and the project? What were the hours like?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 magpie0508

Hi Joza, I got accepted by this major as well and facing almost the same question as you do. I have computer science background(Information System&Management to be precise), without decent grade though. After almost two years' of working(not computer science related), I found myself bored with current job and intend to moving back to IT. I don't know if I can handle programming and kind of worried about the upcoming semester.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭puffmullett

magpie0508 wrote: »
    Hi Joza, I got accepted by this major as well and facing almost the same question as you do. I have computer science background(Information System&Management to be precise), without decent grade though. After almost two years' of working(not computer science related), I found myself bored with current job and intend to moving back to IT. I don't know if I can handle programming and kind of worried about the upcoming semester.

Hi Magpie...don't worry, I have no programming experience and am in the middle of that course. I chose modules that have no programming at all. Have a look at the module list on the course website. The only problem you will have is that due to timetable constraints some modules you might want to do may clash.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Joza

@OSI Yea, I started one of those myself, but I couldn't seem to get the info I was looking for.

@puffmullet Are you doing 5 days a week? Roughly what are your hours like?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭puffmullett

Joza pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

I'd greatly appreciate if someone could send me some inforamtion about the modules too. I know some of the modules have a horendous amount of programming involved (Compiler Construction, OOP, etc.) but most of the modules have no module description attached.

Very annoying, and without any information about such modules as Advanced Web Information Systems, I am unwilling to apply... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Yashir0

With the Negotiated learning programme, there are no required modules, they are all elective. This way you get to decide which modules you think are best for you. However this is where the negotiation part of the programme comes into play. Each student will meet with Lorraine McGinty to negotiate a learning contract and decide on which modules you would like to take.That means if you find it's too difficult for you,you can choose modules that r totally irrelevant with programming.
    But to my opinion.It's never too later to learn something new,maybe you just a little extra practise.btw Java programming and Android App design are the top2 I suggest you to learn

Advertisement