Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Algebra help

• 29-05-2012 1:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭

I have a sample question here and I haven't seen the second part before and don't have a clue how to do it. Can anyone help? The question is

Alpha and beta are roots of x^2-6x-2=0
    (a) find alpha x beta and alpha+beta
    (b) Factorise alpha^3 + beta^3

How do I factorise that? Is it (a+b)((a+b)^2 -3ab)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

(a + b)^3 - 3ab(a + b)

Edit: though that's the same as what you said, so yup that's right! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Is it not (a + b)(a^2 - ab + b^2) in the case of a^3 + b^3? Or is that the same? :P

leaveiton wrote: »
    Is it not (a + b)(a^2 - ab + b^2) in the case of a^3 + b^3? Or is that the same? :P

In a situation like this you need to have only (a + b) or ab, as these are what you get from the equation (you know, like ab=c/a)

using a and b here as alpha and beta.

but both are correct. I mean if you did it your way you'd just need to take (a^2 + b^2) separately as (a + b)^2 - 2ab
    and it would work out fine, it's just an extra step.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

finality wrote: »
    leaveiton wrote: »

In a situation like this you need to have only (a + b) or ab, as these are what you get from the equation (you know, like ab=c/a)

using a and b here as alpha and beta.

but both are correct. I mean if you did it your way you'd just need to take (a^2 + b^2) separately as (a + b)^2 - 2ab
    and it would work out fine, it's just an extra step.

Some (my teacher included) think its an extra hassle to learn the other formula. I prefer it the separate formulas but it's up to you anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Ah okay, I get what you're saying. I think I remember seeing it that way in a book but we were never taught it. Thanks! :)

• Advertisement

ChemHickey wrote: »
    Some (my teacher included) think its an extra hassle to learn the other formula. I prefer it the separate formulas but it's up to you anyway.

but you're still going to have to learn the a^2 + b^2 one. the a^3 + b^3 one is almost the same anyway :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

You don't even need to learn it if you look at it logically, it just works that (a+b)^3 -3ab(a+b) = a^3 + b^3. The way I remember it is that (a+b)^3 is the same as a^3 + b^3, but it just has an extra little bit, so you just make them equal to each other and take away the extra ab bit.

I was thinking that factors are things you multiply together to make another number or equation. When I thought about it I thought that (a+b)^3 -3ab(a+b) is subtracting one number from the other and not a factor but that (a+b)((a+b)^2 -3ab) is a factor because you are multiplying two numbers.

Advertisement