Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What age to start school

• 29-05-2012 1:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭

My first child was born in Feb and i'm unsure when he should start school - at 4.5yrs or 5.5yrs? Any thoughts?

My 2nd child is an Oct baby and will start just before turning 5yrs.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Each child is diffferent of course, but as a general rule of thumb, most teachers will say older is better.Boys-again as a general rule, can be more socially immature.I have never met a parent who regretted waiting, but plenty who regretted not doing so.

Is there an age clause in the enrolment policy?Best to check what the exact policy is, to ensure getting a place for the year you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

My second is 4.5 and will not start school until September 2013 at 5.5 years. Happy for her to start later as it really was a benefit for my older child who started primary late.

Another way to look at it, a school may allow you to skip a year up if you really feel your child is too advanced for the class he/she is in, but it is more difficult for a school to keep your child back a year if they are struggling to keep up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Mr.Wemmick wrote: »
    Another way to look at it, a school may allow you to skip a year up if you really feel your child is too advanced for the class he/she is in, but it is more difficult for a school to keep your child back a year if they are struggling to keep up.

I would very surprised if a school would allow a child to skip a year, there is a lot of material covered in all 12 subjects each year. Even for a child who is intelligent and doing well, skipping an entire years work on a subject and expecting them to catch up would be very unfair.

I would ask your school if they have a policy of allowing this before you decide that is a valid back-up plan,

If response to your original question, I did not send my daughter to school when she was 4, as her birthday was June, and I felt it was too young and I am still glad, 6 years later that she is the oldest in her class, not the youngest, but with a Feb birthday, I would be inclined to send him/her to school. If you wait until 5.5 he/she may be 18 months older than the youngest in their class which might be too much of a gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 slanleat

Sent all mine at 5, one having a feb birthday. She would have had no problem starting at 4, but everything I read suggested later is better.

Also, I have never met a parent who regrets holding their child back a year, but plenty who regret sending them too early.

Confidence would be the one trait I see in all the older starters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Thanks for all the replies :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 362 ✭✭Play Bunny

my daughter was born feb so will be sending her at 4.5yrs, i feel she will be well capable very smart toddler at the mo so no worries there, my 2nd is due in 3wks june baby so same for him i would imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Play Bunny wrote: »
    my daughter was born feb so will be sending her at 4.5yrs, i feel she will be well capable very smart toddler at the mo so no worries there, my 2nd is due in 3wks june baby so same for him i would imagine.

I don't worry about my DS starting school at 4.5yrs, i think he would fly it for the first few yrs. But i worry about the stress of JC & LC & going off to college, moving out from home etc... I think boys mature later than girls though, if i had a Feb baby girl i might start her at 4.5yrs too but for my DS i think we will wait until he is 5.5yrs but i will probably change my mind 50 more times again before the time comes!

Thanks for all the replies.

Advertisement