Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

certification path...

Options
  • 29-05-2012 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

some advice please lads!

bit of background... worked in IT for 5 years (helpdesk,support engineer, sys admin) ,went back to college full-time to get a degree, finished now and started new job as a network admin

seen as I'm in the mind frame of studying, something that was lost on me before I went to college, I've decided I might as well keep it going cause if I stop I might not start again! So now I'm wondering what cert path to go down

some of my options-

Citrix- the company I have just started to work for use this so its the obvious choice to start with. The only problem is the training costs a few thousand and you cant get certified without it afaik?? I would be willing to learn it myself and just sit the exam, but not sure if there's any point if i cant get certified..

Linux- I have little experience in this area, but there seems to be a lot of work there so would be interested in finding out more, I wouldnt get any hands on exp from work though

cisco & ms server exams- great qualifications, only problem is ive so much experience in networking and administering servers I'm not sure how much extra value it'll add to my resume, certainly worth adding at some stage

ms sql- I studied this in college and looking through job sites it seems like one of the more sought after skills. I get the feeling the only way to really learn it would be hands on at work though?

what route would you recommend or even what route did you go down to learn more and improve your skill set?

I will probably stay in the system admin area

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Hi Rossin,

Probably best to ask admin to move it too. Best of luck.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=882

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭druidhill

My thoughts:

Citrix - if it is used in work, get exposure to it. If they want you to get certified, get them to fork out for it. I certainly would not be spending money on this yourself. Exposure and experience is key, that's what prospective employers will be looking for. There are Citrix certifications as far as I know.

Linux - if you are not going to get exp in work, get the experience at home so.

cisco & ms server exams - if you have lots of experience it won't take you very long to get a cert now will it? It would be good if you had a professional cert on the area you have experience in. Most employers will be far interested in your experience to date. If your 5yrs in IT has been varied and progressive, then you're sorted. Certs have a place for someone like yourself in that they fill the gaps in certain areas that you may well never have been exposed to.

The ms sql you mentioned, well it is down to yourself really. Good that you know how to work with database servers, but my own opinion is that it is an area you should not dabble with (dive right in or not at all).

If this is a new job, focus on doing a great job, and your next cert will probably be the one most relevant to the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

Thanks Druidhill,

I think you might be right. I'm siding towards getting my ms & cisco certs and then concentrating on something new that interests me the most.

thanks Static M.e. I never saw that forum before I'll have a good read now

Advertisement