Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What to do, what to do....

• 29-05-2012 1:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭

So I'm just after buying a Honda Hornet 600 which is currently unrestricted but I have the restrictor kit which was given to me as part of the sale. I also have a restriction cert from the previous owner which says the bike is restricted but this is under his name.

My problem is this, to insure the bike I need a valid cert in my name. To get this I need one from a mechanic or dealer who will insert the kit or at the very least need to check that the kit is there. Either way it looks like I could be significantly out of pocket getting this on the road. Fitting the kit myself is not an issue even though I've read it can be a bit of a pain in the hole, but tbh I'd rather have it restricted for the few months rather than effectively drive around uninsured.

Has anyone else ever had this problem? What did they do with regards a certificate to say the bike was restricted? Will I have to suck it up and pay out? :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭dunner515

Is your insurance company asking for it to be in your name? Most insurances company's will accept a restriction cert in somebody's else name as long as the cert match's the motorcycle that it was issued to. What sort of license are you on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

dunner515 wrote: »
    Is your insurance company asking for it to be in your name? Most insurances company's will accept a restriction cert in somebody's else name as long as the cert match's the motorcycle that it was issued to. What sort of license are you on?

Really? If thats the case I might be ok. I suppose the reason I am asking is because another lad I work with was required to send one in his name.

I am on a full A license but the restriction is up in October.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Yzf R6

Shouldn't be too expensive,there's a guy in trim I think who would fit and certify,his name is Chopper on Biker.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭dunner515

Yzf R6 wrote: »
    Shouldn't be too expensive,there's a guy in trim I think who would fit and certify,his name is Chopper on Biker.ie.

+1

Yzf R6 wrote: »

Trim is a bit out of my way. I'd also have to bring the bike up on a trailer or something.

Meskells in Limerick will do it but it will cost ~150. At least that's how much it cost another fella here to remove his one.

Just rang Liberty and they told me I require it in my name and that any garage will do this for me. They need to see the bike is restricted however so I'd have to try fit this myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Yzf R6

How do you mean they need to see it restricted,do you mean the cert in your name or do they want to see the bike?Other alternative is go with Adelaide,they don't ask for cert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Spudmonkey wrote: »
    Trim is a bit out of my way. I'd also have to bring the bike up on a trailer or something.

Meskells in Limerick will do it but it will cost ~150. At least that's how much it cost another fella here to remove his one.

Just rang Liberty and they told me I require it in my name and that any garage will do this for me. They need to see the bike is restricted however so I'd have to try fit this myself.

Meskells gave me a cert in my name after they inspected that the restrictor was there, hours labour, 50 notes.

If you can fit it yourself and get him to certify it you could save a few bob.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

Do they actually chase you for the cert? I've heard from a couple of people that Quinn/Liberty didnt pursue them. One guy bought over the phone, said he'd fax the cert but never did. They didn't follow up. Another friend of mine bought it online and just said it was restricted...they didn't follow up either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

I'm with Quinn and the cert is in the name of the previous owner. Try just faxing them the cert as it is and seeing what they say. Worst case you'll be as you are now. That guy in Trim will make you a cert for free or for a very low price but he'll have to verify that the bike is restricted. Ring around your local garages and see if any will do the same. You could of course print off your own certificate saying that you restricted it since there is no such document as a restrictor certificate in the law and once it has all the information there is no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Simona1986 wrote: »
    I'm with Quinn and the cert is in the name of the previous owner. Try just faxing them the cert as it is and seeing what they say. Worst case you'll be as you are now. That guy in Trim will make you a cert for free or for a very low price but he'll have to verify that the bike is restricted. Ring around your local garages and see if any will do the same. You could of course print off your own certificate saying that you restricted it since there is no such document as a restrictor certificate in the law and once it has all the information there is no problem.

I done that, printed my own certificate of restriction... all i got was an extra 2 weeks before they would cancel my policy...:pac:

• Advertisement

Thanks for the responses lads.

I'm going to contact Quinn and see if they will take the old cert. Meskell told me that was a cert for the bike and not the owner. If they do that I should be good to go!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Spudmonkey wrote: »
    Thanks for the responses lads.

I'm going to contact Quinn and see if they will take the old cert. Meskell told me that was a cert for the bike and not the owner. If they do that I should be good to go!
    If its with FI, Meskells can get a new cert issued for you, FI just require a garage to check the kit is still in, they dont charge for the changeover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Any insurance company I've dealt with (and anyone I know on bikes) has told me that the restriction cert has to be in your own name to be valid.

FI restriction cert will have the details of the bike, your name, address, info about the restriction and on the right hand side info about the dealer and info about FI.

I'm not giving you the spiel, as the restriction kit mysteriously fell out of my other bike lol :P, but I'm sure you're aware of the risks of driving around without a restrictor and I'm not talking about insurance, I'm talking about your bike being taken off you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

I bought a restriction kit for my Triumph when I got it. It makes no mention of my name address etc, just the dealer name, stamp, bike model and chassis number (iirc)

Insurance company never asked for it (Adelaide) but carried it with my license for gardi checkpoints - just in case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

I'm sure you're aware of the risks of driving around without a restriction cert and I'm not talking about insurance, I'm talking about your bike being taken off you.
    Thats nonsense. You are never obligated to produce a restriction cert. The cert is just something a private company (FI) made up to keep their monopoly on restriction kits.

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Thats nonsense. You are never obligated to produce a restriction cert. The cert is just something a private company (FI) made up to keep their monopoly on restriction kits.

whoops, sorry, typo, fixed my post ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

I think you should just get the correct document and have the bike restricted in your name. This your first bike?

If you need it restricted because of your license, then you should do it by the book. You'll be leaving yourself exposed to not having valid insurance, due to misinformation on your insurance policy. Insurers protect themselves by giving a list of assumptions, but you might be breaking one of these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

rat_race wrote: »
    One guy bought over the phone, said he'd fax the cert but never did. They didn't follow up. Another friend of mine bought it online and just said it was restricted...they didn't follow up either.

That doesn't mean he's insured, if he was to cause an accident, they'll definitely check into things, such as restriction and road worthiness to avoid paying out, meaning he lied and isn't insured. Then he'll have to lube up and bend over to the massive bill.

Xios wrote: »
    I think you should just get the correct document and have the bike restricted in your name. This your first bike?

If you need it restricted because of your license, then you should do it by the book. You'll be leaving yourself exposed to not having valid insurance, due to misinformation on your insurance policy. Insurers protect themselves by giving a list of assumptions, but you might be breaking one of these.

It's not my first bike but its a massive step up in power (125 -> 600). Tbh I've had a look at restricting it myself and it looks very awkward. The carb is buried right in the centre of the engine block so a lot would have to come out to get at it. I don't think there is much point in paying 150-200 to have it restricted now when I'll be eligible in October. It might mean I'll be off it for the fine months of the year but I can always hope for an Indian summer. :P

Just make sure you're looking after it properly while you're not driving it or you might be on here come October saying there's something wrong with it

• Advertisement
Advertisement