Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving out- dont see any way to actually make the move

Options
  • 29-05-2012 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Ok I am desperate to move out of the home house. But on my wages, nothing seems to work, no matter where I look on the net I cannot find anywhere that I can actually afford without having complications should anything else but food or petrol needs to be bought.

on 380 a week, am definitely not house sharing, basically doing that at home ya know...

Just wanna know what everyone else is doing to get by?

Thanks,
    Gary

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭yellowtrout

It won't be easy to find a place on your budget that isn't a house-share, to be honest.
    What county are you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭28064212

ghogie91 wrote: »
    Not doing this
    My New Audi A4 I bought two weeks ago :D
    Not to mention the advice you got in this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76804677. If you want to spend your money on a car, fair enough, but you can't exactly wonder where all your money is going after.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

It won't be easy to find a place on your budget that isn't a house-share, to be honest.
    What county are you in?
    I am in Athlone in Westmeath

28064212 wrote: »
    Not doing this

Not to mention the advice you got in this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76804677. If you want to spend your money on a car, fair enough, but you can't exactly wonder where all your money is going after.

Well to be honest with you now I saved for a long time and payed cash for that! So incorrect there my friend! ;)

Well to be honest with you now I saved for a long time and payed cash for that! So incorrect there my friend! ;)
    ...what? You can't move out because you don't have enough money. You recently spent a lot of money. If you hadn't spent that money (or at least drastically reduced what you spent), you could have afforded to move out.

Not to mention the ongoing increased costs of insurance, tax and petrol an A4 incurs

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Why not try house sharing?

It's very, very different to living in a family house.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Have you taken a look on Daft? There are quite a few 1 bed apartments for rent in Athlone in the 350-425 range. I have no idea what your other outgoings are apart from the car (which is going to make this tricky as I can imagine that it is eating quite a bit of your income), but depending on how good you are with money you might be able to make that work.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

am definitely not house sharing, basically doing that at home ya know...
    No, you're not sharing the house at home. Nothing like it at all.

Maybe look into getting a small cottage a few miles away from your town, where the rent may be cheap, such as http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1202599 if you look for places in Westmeath for a max of €400 you should be able to get a place. Most have two bedrooms, so you may be able to share it with a mate, bringing it down to €200 each per month.

But oh my gawd, you don't want to share the house, so you'll have to spend that €400 by yourself for the rent. Do you see the benefit of house sharing yet?

If you need a place nearer to the town, you should also look at studio apartments, but they'll be one bedroom things that also cost around the €400 mark.

28064212 wrote: »
    ...what? You can't move out because you don't have enough money. You recently spent a lot of money. If you hadn't spent that money (or at least drastically reduced what you spent), you could have afforded to move out.

Not to mention the ongoing increased costs of insurance, tax and petrol an A4 incurs

True but surely people cant expect to live out on savings? Are savings not eventually going to dry up?

And the only reason I had such savings was because I was living at home so no real outgoings, Im talking about maintaining a weekly budget that both allows me to afford the car and moving out, not kinda of living off savings until they are gone and then being stuck in a rent agreement with no money to pay and getting done by a landlord then

True but surely people cant expect to live out on savings? Are savings not eventually going to dry up?

And the only reason I had such savings was because I was living at home so no real outgoings, Im talking about maintaining a weekly budget that both allows me to afford the car and moving out, not kinda of living off savings until they are gone and then being stuck in a rent agreement with no money to pay and getting done by a landlord then
    Well firstly, there are plenty of one-off costs involved in moving, e.g. deposit, buying anything that's not provided by the landlord. Secondly, I already pointed out the increased running costs of an A4.

How did you manage to save the money to buy the car? Where is the money you were paying into your car fund going now? Really, you need to do up a budget. Record every outgoing, see where you can cut back, then work out how much you can afford to set aside for rent. Once you know how much you can afford to spend on rent, you can start looking, not much point looking before you know that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

380 is a lot of money outside of Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Flash car or a gaff? You could've had both if you were smarter with the money!
    Why not sell the flash car, get something cheaper AND get your gaff...

Win, win :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

on 380 a week, am definitely not house sharing, basically doing that at home ya know...

They're sharing. You don't have the wage to afford a place on your own. TBH it sounds like you're looking for excuses to stay living at home.

hmmm wrote: »
    They're sharing. You don't have the wage to afford a place on your own. TBH it sounds like you're looking for excuses to stay living at home.

I wanna get out, to get on the ladder, but i dont want to do it and struggle with money daily, I have alot of friends doing just that and I dont like the look of it, but to answer this im 20, not exactly the oldest in the world so home is good enough for me until i find somewhere i am actually happy with!

Flash car or a gaff? You could've had both if you were smarter with the money!
    Why not sell the flash car, get something cheaper AND get your gaff...

Win, win :D

Yeah its easier said than done, being from athlone and knowing the place like the back of my hand, so I wouldnt be choosing just and gaff because there are parts of the town i will not live in... as for the 'flash' car, I like the heavy car under my bum, with a fair kick out of it! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I wanna get out, to get on the ladder

But ... renting a place isn't getting "on the ladder"? :confused:

(Not that I in any way agree with the "rent is dead money" argument - I love renting, and have no intention of getting "on the ladder" anytime soon myself!!!)
    i dont want to do it and struggle with money daily, I have alot of friends doing just that and I dont like the look of it, but to answer this im 20, not exactly the oldest in the world so home is good enough for me until i find somewhere i am actually happy with!

Well how much rent/bills are you paying at home at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Try caravan in the back garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Yeah its easier said than done, being from athlone and knowing the place like the back of my hand, so I wouldnt be choosing just and gaff because there are parts of the town i will not live in... as for the 'flash' car, I like the heavy car under my bum, with a fair kick out of it! :)

For a long time I couldnt afford to rent because I like having bigger cars; at the time I was making much the same money you are. Its your choice but if you dont want to share/rent a room and you want to have a car like an A4 at 20 then youre going to seriously struggle to afford the cost of living alone as well.

Advertisement