Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a Smartphone for work

Options
  • 29-05-2012 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Time to change work phones and was wondering what to get. I have a Lumia 800 for personal use which I love but don't want another Windows phone.

I am not really drawn towards an iPhone but I have never used one and I am open to it.

There is the Samsung Note which looks mad (in a good way?) and SIII arriving soon.

Anything else I should consider?

It will be on Vodafone. We use Outlook for mail. Massive storage isn't needed but a decent camera is.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Dub XV

Unlimited!

I like that :D

What common (bad)thing all high end smartphones tend to share is a battery excessive consuption.

Not sure about what type of work you doing but in my last job I had phone charger on my work desk/car/home/my family house.

I'm going to go with the flow to recommend you something from the Samsung galaxy family.

http://www.amazon.de/gp/offer-listing/B007VCRRNS/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

The main thing is to get a proper bumper/shock proof case and screen protector.

You won't regret getting that Sammy , I got my Sgs2 last Nov and I can safely state that this is the best phone I ever had (except the battery life).

That's my recommendation anyway:)

Jarren wrote: »
    I like that :D

What common (bad)thing all high end smartphones tend to share is a battery excessive consuption.

Not sure about what type of work you doing but in my last job I had phone charger on my work desk/car/home/my family house.

I'm going to go with the flow to recommend you something from the Samsung galaxy family.

http://www.amazon.de/gp/offer-listing/B007VCRRNS/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

The main thing is to get a proper bumper/shock proof case and screen protector.

You won't regret getting that Sammy , I got my Sgs2 last Nov and I can safely state that this is the best phone I ever had (except the battery life).

That's my recommendation anyway:)

I am on the road most of the day so can charge as I go. Sending and receiving mails will be the main use and then calls.

The note looks impressive as a toy. I never had a Samsung before so could be a goer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Have a play with a Galaxy Note before you decide on it OP, they really are massive, they are supposedly fairly popular with people in business though, although the iPhone is still the undisputed king of phones in business. Not sure why, just the way it is. The Galaxy S3 is a mighty fine phone too, more powerful than the Note, but with a smaller screen. The Camera's on all three would be very good indeed as phone cameras go, and there probably wouldn't be much in it as regards battery life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I've seen pictures from loads of smart phones and there are a few that on paper have a better camera than the iPhone but I haven't seen a picture from any other phone yet that is as clear as a picture from an iPhone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

GarIT wrote: »
    I've seen pictures from loads of smart phones and there are a few that on paper have a better camera than the iPhone but I haven't seen a picture from any other phone yet that is as clear as a picture from an iPhone.

Seen the Nokia Lumia 900? HTC One X camera is top notch too.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Seen the Nokia Lumia 900? HTC One X camera is top notch too.

Yeah, I think the iPhone is better for pics than the lumia, it really does just have some unusual clarity about it. I haven't seen the one x. IMO the iPhone pics look better than the nexus and gs2. The gs3 might be better, its supposed to be amazing but it could just be hype. Ive always thought that all the iPhones have been slightly better than another phone with equal specs.

You mentioned something about a decent camera and no .... It's not another Windows phone.

http://www.amazon.de/dp/B007VKAJYY/ref=pe_23451_30244191_pe_vfe_dt1

Jarren wrote: »
    You mentioned something about a decent camera and no .... It's not another Windows phone.

http://www.amazon.de/dp/B007VKAJYY/ref=pe_23451_30244191_pe_vfe_dt1

41MP :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Zonda999 wrote: »
    the iPhone is still the undisputed king of phones in business. Not sure why, just the way it is.

:confused::confused::confused:

No.

iPhone has only recently gained acceptance in business. Blackberry is still regarded as the king of business devices (even tho they are terrible imo).

Yeah, that totally skipped my mind tbh, but I have seen plenty business people with iphones in the last year I can assure you.

In rank, it would probably go blackberry -> iphone -> android.

The blackberry doninance in business probably came from how well they handed email but thats no longer the case on the couple of years, iphone and android have certainly caught up.

Have had Nokia for the last 15 years so want something different.

never considered a blackberry before.

I am kinda looking for a bit of wow.

Dub XV wrote: »
    Have had Nokia for the last 15 years so want something different.

never considered a blackberry before.

I am kinda looking for a bit of wow.

Blackberries are going downhill fast. They were good a while ago but haven't really improved since while all the other phones have moved on. I think windows phones even have more apps and functions that blackberries do now.

Yeah, blackberry appear doomed unless they can seriously pull something out of the bag. Propriety OS's are effectively gone, Blackberry are effectively the last manufacturer to still exclusively use they're own OS. They're what used to be unique form factor helped them keep them relevant for ages but they're certainly sinking fast now. And they won;t provide much of a wow factor

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jossul1179

BlackBerries are still the best phones for getting stuff done. Not the best for gaming is that is a concern. But for business BlackBerry is best. Their is a reason way the President of the US uses BlackBerry. Apple board of directors use BlackBerry, the CEO of Google Eric Schmidt still uses them. Give the Bold 9900 a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭BobMc

I've a Bold 9900 and if its sending email and texts the combination of a touch screen with a proper keyboard is great !, not so great on apps but I only use a few bookface, twitter, weather and its suits those perfectly uses little data for all of those too

BobMc wrote: »
    I've a Bold 9900 and if its sending email and texts the combination of a touch screen with a proper keyboard is great !, not so great on apps but I only use a few bookface, twitter, weather and its suits those perfectly uses little data for all of those too

So basically its a simple phone that does nothing worth mentioning and doesn't have the wow factor the OP was looking for. You probably should have mentioned that you can make calls on your balckberry and use the exclusive bbm and then you've listed all of its features. Cameras on BBs are usually terrible too.

jossul1179 wrote: »
    BlackBerries are still the best phones for getting stuff done. Not the best for gaming is that is a concern. But for business BlackBerry is best. Their is a reason way the President of the US uses BlackBerry. Apple board of directors use BlackBerry, the CEO of Google Eric Schmidt still uses them. Give the Bold 9900 a look.

Do you have a source for any of this? Other than Obama I doub't they do and Obama probably doesn't know an awful lot about technology either.

All 3 of my email accounts, my calender, my text messages and msn messenger all synch to my lock screen and can be accessed with a swipe and one touch, how can you get things done better than that? The phone also integrates twitter, msn and Facebook into one interface. And if I choose to I can synch the contacts from my email accounts to my phone contacts and it will automtically match up names with, phone numbers, email accounts, twitter, facebook and msn accounts. You just can't beat that for efficency in getting things done. Is there one thing a Bb can do better?

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Propriety OS's are effectively gone, Blackberry are effectively the last manufacturer to still exclusively use they're own OS.

You know that company called Apple? They use a proprietary OS called iOs, apparently it's quite popular.

• Advertisement

Yeah something cutting edge is what I want. As I said I have a Lumia 800 so a 900 doesn't interest me or any other WP7.

The Blackberrys do look purely functional. I have a Nokia E72 now for that :)

Since I am going to throw a bit of money at it I just want something interesting. I could get a freebie if I just stick to the norm.

iPhone winning so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jossul1179

GarIT wrote: »
    Do you have a source for any of this? Other than Obama I doub't they do and Obama probably doesn't know an awful lot about technology either.

All 3 of my email accounts, my calender, my text messages and msn messenger all synch to my lock screen and can be accessed with a swipe and one touch, how can you get things done better than that? The phone also integrates twitter, msn and Facebook into one interface. And if I choose to I can synch the contacts from my email accounts to my phone contacts and it will automtically match up names with, phone numbers, email accounts, twitter, facebook and msn accounts. You just can't beat that for efficency in getting things done. Is there one thing a Bb can do better?

Here are my source links
    Apple Board of Directors
    http://www.businessinsider.com/this-apple-board-member-was-spotted-using-a-blackberry-on-national-tv-2012-5

CEO of Google
    http://articles.businessinsider.com/2011-07-26/tech/30038048_1_blackberry-android-phone-eric-schmidt

Also everything above that you said BlackBerry has been doing for years and better.

srsly78 wrote: »
    You know that company called Apple? They use a proprietary OS called iOs, apparently it's quite popular.
    Yeah yeah, other than iOS..

OP, call into a shop and try an iphone 4S and a good android like an s3 or a Note and see which one genuinely prefer

jossul1179 wrote: »
    Here are my source links
    Apple Board of Directors
    http://www.businessinsider.com/this-apple-board-member-was-spotted-using-a-blackberry-on-national-tv-2012-5

CEO of Google
    http://articles.businessinsider.com/2011-07-26/tech/30038048_1_blackberry-android-phone-eric-schmidt

Also everything above that you said BlackBerry has been doing for years and better.

I'm actually amazed at that :P

That's a matter of opinion. I think WP7 is much batter even for basic functionality. I didn't know you could integrate your texts, Facebook chat and Windows live messenger into one app. Anyway, that's all BBs do, useful as they are they have no wow factor.

If I were you I'd wait for the SG3 or the next iPhone if you really want wow factor.

You won't get a note into your jeans pocket, and its more of a mini tablet with a call function than a phone.

I've always seen android as a lower class of phone in a way compared to windows phone and iPhone. You can do way more on an Android, its not even half as secure as the iPhone, any app you want to make no matter how illegal it is you can make it. Anything that is bad gets taken out of the app store or marketplace. IOS just seems more secure, there aren't as many viruses as android. On the other side you can do anything you want with an android.

I've heard people complain before about the lack of SD card slots in the iPhone and Windows phone. But that's actually a really good feature from both, the time to access storage on both is much better.

My personal preference would be the iPhone over any Android.

Fail, there are no viruses for android (a virus is a very specific kind of malware). Malware gets pulled from the market, the whole thing is propaganda basically.

Also, your sdcard point is rubbish. Modern android devices have the same fast internal memory, AND they have an sdcard slot. Early android devices were indeed gimped by limited internal memory but this is not a problem anymore.

Finally, iOs is not actually more secure. It is running native code, so one pointer exploit and the entire device is compromised (this is how the web-page jailbreak worked for example). Android uses a VM sandbox for each app, which is actually the more secure method.

Fail, there are no viruses for android (a virus is a very specific kind of malware). Malware gets pulled from the market, the whole thing is propaganda basically.

Also, your sdcard point is rubbish. Modern android devices have the same fast internal memory, AND they have an sdcard slot. Early android devices were indeed gimped by limited internal memory but this is not a problem anymore.

Finally, iOs is not actually more secure. It is running native code, so one pointer exploit and the entire device is compromised (this is how the web-page jailbreak worked for example). Android uses a VM sandbox for each app, which is actually the more secure method.

Virus is just the most commonly used word. I hear it every day dealing with the general public so get used to using it. I actually usually correct people on that. I have restored android phones that have been bricked by malware. Android can install apps that are not in the marketplace unlike the others. I can link you YouTube videos if you want by malware on Android.

SD card read times are a slower than internal memory. You will have internal storage in an Android phone but extra storage you add, while expanding memory will slow the phone. When Microsoft was asked about why they don't allow SD cards in Windows phones they said it was because they didn't want the performance drop that comes with SD storage. If an app is on a SD card it will be a lot slower than an app on the phone's internal memory.

For that reason its not, but android apps can and have also affect the whole phone. I've never seen an iPhone that has been bricked by malware.

Just for the op, you have a current gen windows phone, you might not get any wow till the next gen of phones.

Some windows phones DO support sdcards :confused::confused: So you are clearly just waffling..... Noone with a modern android phone installs apps on sdcard, because it's crap as you have said. This was a big problem with the HTC Desire. Your info is way out of date for 2012.

Have never seen an android phone bricked by malware, this was more likely caused by the user messing around with custom roms etc. The "install from unknown sources" option in android is OFF by default. A user must manually enable this, just as they must manually install dodgy apps. Yes this is the downside to freedom. Google can remote wipe stuff from devices anyway.

Please stop spreading rubbish info.

Some windows phones DO support sdcards :confused::confused: So you are clearly just waffling..... Noone with a modern android phone installs apps on sdcard, because it's crap as you have said. This was a big problem with the HTC Desire. Your info is way out of date for 2012.

Have never seen an android phone bricked by malware, this was more likely caused by the user messing around with custom roms etc. The "install from unknown sources" option in android is OFF by default. A user must manually enable this, just as they must manually install dodgy apps. Yes this is the downside to freedom. Google can remote wipe stuff from devices anyway.

Please stop spreading rubbish info.

That must have changed, when the OS was released there were strict rules in place, and one of them was that no phone could have an SD card slot. It is still relevant as many Androids have little internal storage. I presume the more expansive ones have more space. There are hundreds of scams going around, none that I can think of on Android right now, but someone sometime must fall for them. I don't think Google can delete stuff that wasn't put on through the app store. You are just repeating what I said slightly differently to try to make yourself look intelligent.

There is no point in turning this into a thread where people try to show off how much they know.

Everything I have said is what I have learned working beside guys who spend all their time working on and repairing phones. There's nothing that I have said that I think it rubbish.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the second-hand information so. What I have told you is from first-hand experience working as an android engineer.

You are right about the non-market apps however, google can't nuke those. Same story with jail-broken iphones tho, Apple don't protect these people either.

Advertisement