Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a Smartphone for work

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

srsly78 wrote: »
    Thanks for the second-hand information so. What I have told you is from first-hand experience working as an android engineer.

You are right about the non-market apps however, google can't nuke those. Same story with jail-broken iphones tho, Apple don't protect these people either.

Well you probably are right then but what is the best phone for the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,991 ✭✭✭✭listermint

GarIT wrote: »
    Well you probably are right then but what is the best phone for the OP.

no an iphone if he wants something flash, they are done to death and pretty dam small if your doodling business stuff on them. Besides Iphone despite all the crap they spouted about the perfect screen size blah blah are making a larger screen because they are following the market trends...

listermint wrote: »
    no an iphone if he wants something flash, they are done to death and pretty dam small if your doodling business stuff on them. Besides Iphone despite all the crap they spouted about the perfect screen size blah blah are making a larger screen because they are following the market trends...

That's a really interesting way to look at it. Earlier I was actually going to say to get the GS3 or the 808 (if you really care about the camera) now or wait for the next iPhone. I was thinking because the iPhone isn't much better than current gen windows phones but it has been overdone too, although every iPhone has and probably will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

That's a really interesting way to look at it. Earlier I was actually going to say to get the GS3 or the 808 (if you really care about the camera) now or wait for the next iPhone. I was thinking because the iPhone isn't much better than current gen windows phones but it has been overdone too, although every iPhone has and probably will be.

Wow, it's not even out, no info at all on it yet other than speculation but you know it's worth recommending. The latest generation Androids are already miles ahead of the iPhone, Apple have a hell of a lot of catching up to do. My bet is they'll hold back and make lots of excuses, screen too big, more streamlined, better user experience yada yada yada....

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Wow, it's not even out, no info at all on it yet other than speculation but you know it's worth recommending. The latest generation Androids are already miles ahead of the iPhone, Apple have a hell of a lot of catching up to do. My bet is they'll hold back and make lots of excuses, screen too big, more streamlined, better user experience yada yada yada....

What can the latest smart phones do that the current iPhone can't? It would be safe to presume that the next iPhone will at least be an improvement on the last. If the OP is in a rush there will be no harm in waiting for the announcement of the next iPhone anyway, if its not better than the GS3 get that then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

What can the latest smart phones do that the current iPhone can't?

What can any smartphone do? Latest gen phones have quadcores, last gen had dual. They do the same things, but do them faster and multitask.

It would be safe to presume that the next iPhone will at least be an improvement on the last. If the OP is in a rush there will be no harm in waiting for the announcement of the next iPhone anyway, if its not better than the GS3 get that then.

Providing you don't have to hold it a special way or use a rubber band so you don't block the signal or any other flaws, bugs etc. My point is, it's pie in the sky, it's pointless to recommend it when we've not seen the specs or had any reviews. It could be a complete fcuk up for all we know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

To be honest the average user won't use a smartphone to any where near it's possibilities. The average user just uses the browser, contacts and calendar functions. They're not going to notice the difference between dual core and quad core. They probably won't get near to using up all the ram and what ever device they do get they'll probably stick with for a long time as they'd be afraid to try anything new as they know there one just works.

Try get to a store that has some demos and see how they feel in your hand. Smartphones are becoming like digital cameras in that it's all about the feel of the device and layout of buttons as they all do the same thing nowadays. There's little to really differentiate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

Quick guide to choosing a phone:

I don't really understand computers: iPhone

I am a geek: Android

I know who always wins: Windows phone :rolleyes:

(Blackberry is going to be bought out so not recommending)

cgarrad wrote: »

(Blackberry is going to be bought out so not recommending)

Even if (and that's a big if) BlackBerry are sold they won't disappear over night. Their new BB10 OS (akin to ios and android style wise) is due to launch on new devices around October. This is a great OS and if they get the marketing of it right it should help them solidly grab 3rd spot behind iOS and Android.

As a long time BlackBerry user I've always felt they're great for getting things done quickly. There's no device better in my mind (and I've used plenty of different devices). It all comes down to personal preference and needs. No device is perfect.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

cookie1977 wrote: »
    Even if (and that's a big if) BlackBerry are sold they won't disappear over night. Their new BB10 OS (akin to ios and android style wise) is due to launch on new devices around October. This is a great OS and if they get the marketing of it right it should help them solidly grab 3rd spot behind iOS and Android.

As a long time BlackBerry user I've always felt they're great for getting things done quickly. There's no device better in my mind (and I've used plenty of different devices). It all comes down to personal preference and needs. No device is perfect.

I know you like the BB cookie, but it could really so with being bought out now, by someone who will do apps and a really good OS. They really need some good design and TLC now, if it's not too late. I got one a couple of months ago, because I really fancied one down the years, but it was awful: like taking a step back about 5 years. I'll be interested to see the new OS when it comes out.

• Advertisement

whiterebel wrote: »
    I know you like the BB cookie, but it could really so with being bought out now, by someone who will do apps and a really good OS. They really need some good design and TLC now, if it's not too late. I got one a couple of months ago, because I really fancied one down the years, but it was awful: like taking a step back about 5 years. I'll be interested to see the new OS when it comes out.

They've gone this far with the change of direction. I'd like to see them get the chance to see it through and then (god forbide) if it doesn't work find a buyer. I think half their problem is perception. Ok they're not great for games or media but for everything else I honestly think they match or beat other devices.

Hopefully the new OS will be seen by non bb users to rectify this gaming and media gap. The OS on the playbook is beautiful and if it transitions well to the smartphone they could be on a winner. I don't think they'll beat android or iOS but regaining some of the lost ground would certainly be a success. Maybe they could license the software to other hardware manufacturers. Maybe even dump their hardware devision altogether and become like google (a software compnay).

Time will tell and fingers crossed it all works out. It's all down to their marketing in my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Dub XV

Galaxy S3 not on the approved handsets list yet. I could only go S2.

iPhone seems the way I am going to go.

That Galaxy Note was more Nissan Note :D

nissan-note-03.jpg

Advertisement