Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Landlord Problems He signed my name on bills !!!

• 29-05-2012 3:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭

Hi guys Just to post this here

My ex roommates blow up the owen and it took them 3 weeks to get a new owen in and they where trying to blame me on it even do i wasn't even there when i happened. They are looking at the cost now from me as i have moved out

The landlord signed my name for the ESB and UPC in the apartment with out telling me and only found out when i get the bill from both of them.

Ringing me nearly everyday to view my apartment to show to some one. Why did it had to be mine all the time ?. I refused countless times as i was in bed or i was in college so i ended up getting my head bit of me countless times by yhr landlord.

Mold in my bathroom in which covered every wall of the room and the windows in my bedroom still has not been cleaned. Blaming me on the dirt in the bathroom e.g. the mold and saying it was my falt that it got so bad in the 1st place.

Have called me every day this month saying to me on the phone why haven't i moved out yet ?. My lease says 31st of May. This has been going on since May 1st

Refusing to give my deposit back after they make sure everything is working but your in my apartment everyday to show to some one and you can see what is working and not. Then told after we see everything is ok it will be 4 weeks after that before they send my money back out WTH.

So guys what can i do about them signing my name and getting my money back ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Threshold can help if there is one in your city or any citizen's advice centre, Sure just ring the service providers that have your name on bills and tell them what happened. The deposit issue might be one for the small claims court.

Actually how did they manage to blow up an oven ? I'v never heard of that before..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

charlemont wrote: »
    Threshold can help if there is one in your city or any citizen's advice centre, Sure just ring the service providers that have your name on bills and tell them what happened. The deposit issue might be one for the small claims court.

Actually how did they manage to blow up an oven ? I'v never heard of that before..

Is was turned on (EG I think it was left on overnight) and the the two glass doors blow up and went flying. Thats what i was told by them

The problem is that i have rang up the ESB and UPC and they have passwords EG They have put a date of birth which is not my own on the acc so i can't even speak to some one about the problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Is was turned on (EG I think it was left on overnight) and the the two glass doors blow up and went flying. Thats what i was told by them

The problem is that i have rang up the ESB and UPC and they have passwords EG date of birth which is not my own one set up on the acc so i can't even speak to some one about the problem

Ha, That's crazy, Your housemates sound very irresponsible...

Send an e-mail to both companies and describe what's happening, I find using e-mail to correspond to companies always gets a faster response. If that doesn't work you may have to consider a solicitor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

did your name have to be signed to the contracts at the start, or was it that he put you as the person the bills should be addressed, also
    if they signed your signature to anything, that is forgery, and i say, IF, and since the bill is in your name, i think you should have been made aware of pass

To tell the truth i have no idea the way it works due to them refusing to give me a copy of my lease so i can't even look up on it.

All i remainder from the lease when i signed it was UPC was part of the rent :/ and notting about the ESB

Ok was also speaking to the landlord last week i told them why did you sign my name and they said well we had to sign it. I asked why did you do that. The said well we can do things like this.

• Advertisement

are you sure you are speaking of a signature here, or did he just say to address it to you,
    both very different senarios,

goat2 wrote: »
    are you sure you are speaking of a signature here, or did he just say to address it to you,
    both very different senarios,

I am speaking of the signature here
    In which they signed my name and told me that we had to sign your name

Also they are refusing to give me my deposit back and blame me on all the problems in the apartment even do i have one outer guy living there with me

I find out that there not reged with PRTB.

has the other guy admitted that he let the oven on, or did he say that it was you who let it on and let you in this mess,
    have you told them that it was the other resident,
    as for the signature, that is wrong, impersonating your signature.
    are you going to get on to the ptrb and explain what just happened with your signature, see what they advise

i forget to ask, have you seen the paper with your signature on it which they wrote,

goat2 wrote: »
    has the other guy admitted that he let the oven on, or did he say that it was you who let it on and let you in this mess,
    have you told them that it was the other resident,
    as for the signature, that is wrong, impersonating your signature.
    are you going to get on to the ptrb and explain what just happened with your signature, see what they advise

As i said above there not part of PRTB even do they have about i think 200 apartments.

The outer guy said he broke the owen and i was not there when it happened.

But i have been on to a solicitor just there about it and they told me that they have no right what so ever to sign my name and that i have a case for that aggist them

The landlord is refusing to give me a copy of anything that might have been signed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Donkathon

how long have you lived there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

As a tenet you can still go to the PTRB and register a complaint regardless of whether the landlord is registered or not.

I'd be quite stuburn in this situation if I felt that the deposit was being witheld unreasonably

"If your going to treat me like dirt thats fine but I'm going to stay in the property, not pay rent and force you to legally remove me through the court system"

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭mrjoneill

A bit confuse by what you state in that are you still in the apt or have you left it.

As for the actual signed contract with the ESB and UPC on your behalf, you should contact them to get an actual copy of the contract just in case you actually did sign them in the initial sign up to your tenancy.
    And if it’s not your signature try writing to both enlightening them to this fact and await for their reply. Just its not your signature does not necessarily waiver your liability as one required to pay all reasonable charges.

On the signing of the tenancy agreement was this a joint exercise with the other tenant or was it done separately?

The landlord must return promptly any deposit paid by the tenant. The deposit may be retained or deductions made where there are 1) rent arrears or 2) costs incurred to repair damage above normal wear and tear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Find it hard to believe that you could be signed up to a number of utilities. Usually there's a lot of form filling and proof of identity required and in some case a deposit. How are the bills being paid?

BrianD wrote: »
    Find it hard to believe that you could be signed up to a number of utilities. Usually there's a lot of form filling and proof of identity required and in some case a deposit. How are the bills being paid?

oh it is very possible, I am with airtricity

last week i got a letter in the mail and without reading who it was to i just opened it to find out it was from esb networks and someone had inputed my gas and elec meter details to switch from airtricity to electric ireland

after at least half an hour on the phone to different companies i eventually got the switch over stopped and alsost lost our discount with airtricity because of it

I further enquired as to how this can happen and is there any digital locks i can put on my meters to stop this happening again and was told there is nothing thhat can be done

anyone with any meter details can switch any meter, fact!

could you answer these questions,
    how long have you been there,
    are you still there,
    did you see the paperwork with your signature forged on it,
    you say the other tenant has owned up to the oven problem, is this person backing you on this against them,
    if they forged your name on paper, that is an offense and you can have them up for that alone, and also being accused of breaking something when another person is owning up to that, also they cannot keep your deposit, so that is another offense, but you had better look up the paperwork and see if the signature on the esb bill is yours or not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭Fey!

OP; take pictures of the whole apartment before you move out, especially things like mold. These will show what state you left the apartment in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Donkathon wrote: »
    oh it is very possible, I am with airtricity

last week i got a letter in the mail and without reading who it was to i just opened it to find out it was from esb networks and someone had inputed my gas and elec meter details to switch from airtricity to electric ireland

after at least half an hour on the phone to different companies i eventually got the switch over stopped and alsost lost our discount with airtricity because of it

I further enquired as to how this can happen and is there any digital locks i can put on my meters to stop this happening again and was told there is nothing thhat can be done

anyone with any meter details can switch any meter, fact!

I presume in this case a neighbour applied to change and took the wrong MRPN when they were applying? Apartment block maybe? They would have still to form fill. What you have here is an admin mix up.

However, it would seem to be a flaw in somebodies systems where names weren't matched up.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Chain_reaction

Fairly sure the ESB can't put your name on an account without speaking to you. Bord Gas told me a landlord could put your name on an account for gas but electricity is different.

Ring CER or the data protection commissioner and see what they say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Ham Sambo

Hi guys Just to post this here

My ex roommates blow up the owen and it took them 3 weeks to get a new owen in and they where trying to blame me on it even do i wasn't even there when i happened. They are looking at the cost now from me as i have moved out

The landlord signed my name for the ESB and UPC in the apartment with out telling me and only found out when i get the bill from both of them.

Ringing me nearly everyday to view my apartment to show to some one. Why did it had to be mine all the time ?. I refused countless times as i was in bed or i was in college so i ended up getting my head bit of me countless times by yhr landlord.

Mold in my bathroom in which covered every wall of the room and the windows in my bedroom still has not been cleaned. Blaming me on the dirt in the bathroom e.g. the mold and saying it was my falt that it got so bad in the 1st place.

Have called me every day this month saying to me on the phone why haven't i moved out yet ?. My lease says 31st of May. This has been going on since May 1st

Refusing to give my deposit back after they make sure everything is working but your in my apartment everyday to show to some one and you can see what is working and not. Then told after we see everything is ok it will be 4 weeks after that before they send my money back out WTH.

So guys what can i do about them signing my name and getting my money back ?

Contact www.prtb.ie. They will give you the advice you need. Best of luck.

Guys everything fixed got my money back there today after

Did not get the full 400 euros back but 355 not going to fight over the 45 euros at this stage because they needed to clean the place So i am happy out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭puzzle factory

could be worse, my ole lad regestered my name for the house hold charge for backing over his hydrolic ram that he left "up on the floor" as you do.

Advertisement