Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English comprehension - preparing for questions

• 29-05-2012 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭

Having not done many comprehensions, I'm sh*te at them. After looking through previous years, though, I see the same questions generally come up every now and again. Things like: What impression do you get of such and such, or does the text succeed in doing ....

Is there anywhere (with the exception of writing out a tonne of answers and handing them in to get corrected) to learn about how to respond to these? (or what to look for in the text to respond). Haven't done it in school since JC.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

The best way to answer comprehensions is to use PQES(Point,quote,explain,summarise). It is really simple to use but you probably have heard of something like it before. Look out for stuff like how a character acts,speaks(tone of voice etc.) and the type of way the text is written(Narrative,argumentative etc.)
    I dont really know what else there is to tell you so I hope I helped even a little bit :P

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Incompetent

David1994 wrote: »
    The best way to answer comprehensions is to use PQES(Point,quote,explain,summarise). It is really simple to use but you probably have heard of something like it before. Look out for stuff like how a character acts,speaks(tone of voice etc.) and the type of way the text is written(Narrative,argumentative etc.)
    I dont really know what else there is to tell you so I hope I helped even a little bit :P

That actually seems like really good advice. It's really simple, but I've never done it (mine were always all over the place)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Ye if you can stick to that you should be ok man :D

Advertisement