Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Medical Book

Options
  • 29-05-2012 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

Does anyone know of any decent interesting books about medical students/medicine/doctors for a medical student to read? Preferably more UK than American based. All suggestions welcome, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Does anyone know of any decent interesting books about medical students/medicine/doctors for a medical student to read? Preferably more UK than American based. All suggestions welcome, thanks!

Everything I learned in Medical School by Sujay Kansagra is an enjoyable read.
    He posted me over a personally signed copy a while ago. He also does a mean twitter feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭caroline1111

Thanks a million mardybumbum, I just looked up that book and it looks really like the sort of thing I was looking for. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Thanks a million mardybumbum, I just looked up that book and it looks really like the sort of thing I was looking for. Thanks

I should have mentioned "The House of God". It's a book I have only heard of recently but looks like an interesting read. I popped down to Chapters earlier but they didn't have any copies in store. As soon as I finish my finals I'll be picking it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Biologic

I liked most of the books by Max Pemberton. He's a UK based doctor who wrote about his first few years after graduation. If you want a brutally honest, but perhaps dated, account of life as an intern in the US read "Intern Blues" by Robert Marion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

I should have mentioned "The House of God". It's a book I have only heard of recently but looks like an interesting read. I popped down to Chapters earlier but they didn't have any copies in store. As soon as I finish my finals I'll be picking it up.

i would recommend reading the house of god once youve been working for a year or so.... i read it as a student and just didnt really get it, but when i re-read it as an NCHD it made such sense.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

sam34 wrote: »
    i would recommend reading the house of god once youve been working for a year or so.... i read it as a student and just didnt really get it, but when i re-read it as an NCHD it made such sense.

I'd agree with that,
    Watch a few reruns of "Cardiac arrest" on the internet instead....

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭caroline1111

thanks everyone, ill see if I can get my hands on some of them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

Direct Red

Awesome book from a female ENT surgeon in the UK.

I have heard Intern Blues is Brutal lol

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭EternalGeek

I loved Direct Red!

Also;

Intern by Sandeep Janhaur
    Another Day in the Frontal Lobe by Katrina S Firilik
    Blood and Guts: A History of Surgery (accompanies the BBC series of the same name, which was excellent).
    Healing Hearts by kathy E. Magliato
    Heart Beat: A collection of the late, great Maurice Neligan's columns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

Heart Beat: A collection of the late, great Maurice Neligan's columns.

I'd really reccommed this too. I was lucky to meet him on a fairly regular basis through pure happenstance and other circumstances and he was always an amazing person to talk to, argue with and ping opinions against. A real gentleman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭EternalGeek

Jessibelle wrote: »
    I'd really reccommed this too. I was lucky to meet him on a fairly regular basis through pure happenstance and other circumstances and he was always an amazing person to talk to, argue with and ping opinions against. A real gentleman.

I am so totally and utterly jealous of that. He is my hero. Genuinely. When I did my journalism elective the lecturer told me I wrote like him...I cried...actually cried...in front of said lecturer...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

Intern By Sandeep Jahur

is another good one - as is

On Call by Emily R. Transue

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

House of God is an excellent read. I'm sure I'd get more out of it having done my intern year, I read it last Summer and even my 12 weeks of rotations this year have made that book seem so much more relevant. It's a really cynical look at what it is to be a doctor.

Advertisement