Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watering Veg patch

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

I only went out to make a cup of tea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

I made chips! :o:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I've got early and maincrop spuds in the ground. Earlies are well up, some flowering, some of the maincrop are just pushing above ground now. I've been watering each evening, 7 or 8 13 litre watering cans. This is probably not enough, I'm guessing, but after that the farm drain runs dry. Not yet got my water for the garden sorted properly :rolleyes:

I've been hearing rain for the past while, music to my ears :D Funny lot us Irish, bitch and moan about the rain 9/10 months a year, it goes away for a week and there's panic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

any one for humble pie;)

johngalway wrote: »
    I've got early and maincrop spuds in the ground. Earlies are well up, some flowering, some of the maincrop are just pushing above ground now. I've been watering each evening, 7 or 8 13 litre watering cans. This is probably not enough, I'm guessing, but after that the farm drain runs dry. Not yet got my water for the garden sorted properly :rolleyes:

I've been hearing rain for the past while, music to my ears :D Funny lot us Irish, bitch and moan about the rain 9/10 months a year, it goes away for a week and there's panic :D

Funny that, I find watering the garden one of the most therapuetic parts of the day. Although I have about 40 foot of hose, couldn't imagine doing it with a watering can....that would be hard work.:D
    Only maincrop here but above ground and flourishing. Salad crops begining to glut too.....will be giving it away soon.

• Advertisement

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Funny that, I find watering the garden one of the most therapuetic parts of the day. Although I have about 40 foot of hose, couldn't imagine doing it with a watering can....that would be hard work.:D
    Only maincrop here but above ground and flourishing. Salad crops begining to glut too.....will be giving it away soon.

have a mains connection but always try to use the harvested water from the tank....just checked this evening and have about 200l left - could do with a little rain to top up but i would'nt say i was praying for it yet:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

On midgey evenings I find the watering can great, it forces me to keep moving :D

I've to get some water fittings and an IBC tank, and I'll be sorted then.

dardevle wrote: »
    have a mains connection but always try to use the harvested water from the tank....just checked this evening and have about 200l left - could do with a little rain to top up but i would'nt say i was praying for it yet:)

How do you harvest it....of the roofs?

thats it.....simple set up -1000l cube raised up on concrete blocks and connected to the downspout from a 12ft x 10ft garden shed.

thats it.....simple set up -1000l cube raised up on concrete blocks and connected to the downspout from a 12ft x 10ft garden shed.

Must get onto a set-up like that. I live beside a cattleyard with a huge roof area, the downpipe was broken for a while there and the torrents of water that gush from it in a rain is biblical!
    Is there enough pressure from the height of the tank to take a hose from it?
    Sorry for all the questions.

• Advertisement

not really enough pressure from the tank even though its set up as high as it can go under the downspout, could get all technical with it and go to a pump but to be honest i prefer to water by hand - watering can in each hand and i'm a happy camper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭macraignil

One way to reduce your horsetail problem might be to reduce your watering near them. I put some drains in my garden (which is a heavy clay and so does not really need to be watered all of the time) and found the horsetail population has become less of a problem. I also added lots of organic material to improve the soil structure. I like to pull out the horsetails removing as much of the underground stem as possible and leave them dry out on the ground when the weather is good. This weed is persistent but less water, better soil structure and plants that can overgrow them seems to be sorting the problem for me.
    If you water too often I have read that plants do not form as deep a root system and source their nutrients and water from further down in the soil. In a well manured clay soil as you describe I wouldn't think lots of watering will help your potatoes. I would only be watering the peas, beans and salads in the situation you describe although these also will crop OK without any watering (at least in Cork where we rarely have a full week without rain).

Good wy to use an ibc is run a hose to a barrel or bin locted near where you want to wter. Let the barrel fill s you re dunking your can, much less running round that way. You could have more than one barrel strtegically placed around. Some people bury them down a foot or two. Less likely to blow around and easier to dunk in nd lift the can out.

btw - I read alot that unless there is a peoper drought for weeks on end, and you have plenty of orgnic material dug into your beds and you mulch, you dont have to water outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

muckyhands wrote: »
    Uh Oh. :eek:

Repeated treatments of weed killer may be order of the day Im afraid, thats one persistent weed.

The pic I put up- its called Horsetail, Equisetum arvense.

Weedkillers on veg? No thank you.. We call it mares tail and it is easy to pull up by the roots... Persevere and all will soon be gone and no chemicals.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭muckyhands

Graces7 wrote: »
    Weedkillers on veg? No thank you.. We call it mares tail and it is easy to pull up by the roots... Persevere and all will soon be gone and no chemicals.

Not while the veg is there for me either, organic weedkiller or not. :eek::eek::eek:

Jeez, where was I, looks like I missed all the fun. :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Have to post one of these posts

Looks like they were really fun. Were some boys being a bit cranky??

@Graces - haven't seen any of your posts for a while, certainly since the bad snow on the Weather forum. Glad to see that you are still contributing.

Trying a few different watering methods myself. Have leaky hose in use on one bed and I really like it. Slowly does it

.............. fun fun fun ;)

dfbemt wrote: »

@Graces - haven't seen any of your posts for a while, certainly since the bad snow on the Weather forum. Glad to see that you are still contributing.

Trying a few different watering methods myself. Have leaky hose in use on one bed and I really like it. Slowly does it

Oh someone allowed the red mist to descend alright - but then the error of his ways was pointed out which resulted in much backscrambling to delete multiple posts of embarassment....but thanks to the wonders of handheld devices i can post them up if you want the whole picture :D

.....fun fun fun

Is the leaky hose a homemade jobbie?

p.s. I missed the naughtiness too! Fecking gardening!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

....but thanks to the wonders of handheld devices i can post them up if you want the whole picture :D

OH YES PLEASE......... :D

Is the leaky hose a homemade jobbie?

Similar to what is in this shop but this is not where I got it

http://www.thegardenshop.ie/soaker-hose-15m.html

I think I got mine in Aldi, one of the many purchases from Aldi which make their way to the shed only to be retrieved during the clear out !!!!

Does work well for gentle and constant watering during long dry spells. Also works well from a rain barrel / ibc as the pressure head and the slow seepage complement together

OH YES PLEASE......... :D

I think I got mine in Aldi, one of the many purchases from Aldi which make their way to the shed only to be retrieved during the clear out !!!!

Does work well for gentle and constant watering during long dry spells. Also works well from a rain barrel / ibc as the pressure head and the slow seepage complement together

Hi dfbemt, if you have soaker hose just sitting in your shed I could give you a few bob for it. I got a length in Lidl earlier in the year but it wasn't enough. If you don't ask you don't get :)

• Advertisement

Sorry, just followed that link. That's not the type I'm looking for. I'm looking for the black stuff made from recycled tyres.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

2 euro in any of the "Euro2" Shops or any of the "Dealz" shops.;)

Works just as good as the Aldi soaker hose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

I use to use something like this in the past to water in between rows of veg, drill small holes into the roll. Then roll out the layflat on the ground until the required length and cut off from the roll and tie. Stick the hose in the top and tie with string. Good method for putting an even steady manageable flow of water on the ground if you have decent water pressure over a large area.

Heavy-layflat-mid.jpg

Advertisement