Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange Requset : Kylemore Bakery, inner city Dublin

Options
  • 29-05-2012 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I know this is a strange request but I can't think of anywhere else to post it. Cakes and Pies seems like the best place for it :)

I'm looking for past [or present] employees of Kylemore Bakery. My Gran [Rachel Hackett] used to work in North Earl Street [Tolbot Street] and Henry Street outlets between 1973 until about 1990. When she started in 1973 in North Earl Street, she unfortunately lied about her age. This meant that she had the privileged of working an extra 4 years until she was requested to retire at 70. Needless to say, she was devastated. She loved the place and the people. There was [is?] compulsory retirement in the company, when an employee hits 66 years of age. During her time in Kylemore, she regularly moved between North Earl Street and Henry Street but served most of her time in Henry Street.

I believe she won many awards for her service in the company and was generally liked by many.

We can only remember the name of one employee that worked there with her, I think in Henry Street. Her name is Lillian. Always wore a pony tail [at the time, anyway :)] and would probably be in her 50's now.

I know that this sounds like a HUGE long shot but if she sounds or looks [below] familiar, or you know someone who worked in either [or any] Kylemore Bakery, we would love you to give her a good send off in Our Lady of Victories, Ballymun this Thursday.

I rang Kylmore Retail Group head office. They don't think their records go back that far but they are doing some research for me today. Fair play to them.

RachelHackett01.jpg
    Mothers Day, 2010.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Copy of post from C&P forum.

@RangeR - Maybe the good folk in Dublin City can help you...

All the best,

tHB

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There is also a facebook group which has a lot of people on it that worked in and around town.
    Dublin Down Memory lane - Facebook

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

she probably gave me a few "i'm a doughnut nut" stickers in my early days. My granny use to take me into the henry street one in the 80's/90's on a saturday to stock up on doughnuts and stickers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Another Dublin inner city FB group..ask on here!

http://www.facebook.com/groups/381106116417/

• Registered Users Posts: 1 tordah

hi i worked with gran in kylemore henry st other girl lillian cahill most went to work in marks and spencers

• Advertisement
Advertisement