Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gait analysis and all that jazz

Options
  • 29-05-2012 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm going to get myself a decent pair of trainers for pre season and my other extra bit of running I will be doing in my spare time.

Is it a good idea to go and get the whole analysis thing done or would I be ok to just pick a pair up in any sports shop?

If I was to get the analysis done where would you recommend? I know elverys offer this service or a similar one, but I was talking to a guy and he advised against it saying the majority of people in those type of stores wouldn't have much experience with the athletics / running and are usually kids / college students just doing part time work.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

I know from experience that Amphibian King know what they're talking about. I believe from reading here that Elvery's don't. I don't know about anybody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Danye

Clearlier wrote: »
    I know from experience that Amphibian King know what they're talking about. I believe from reading here that Elvery's don't. I don't know about anybody else.

Thanks for the input.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 tendon

Ask anyone who is using gait analysis to sell you shoes to show you some academic research to justify its use .i.e. research evidence that gait analysis can reduce your injury rates or improve your performance.At least that way you get chance to make an informed decision

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

Gait analysis is definitely worth doing IMO. While some will tell you that your gait can change over time, I think this is not very likely, so once you have it done you won't need to have it done again, but you can use the results to inform you for all future shoe purchases.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

wrstan wrote: »
    Gait analysis is definitely worth doing IMO. While some will tell you that your gait can change over time, I think this is not very likely, so once you have it done you won't need to have it done again, but you can use the results to inform you for all future shoe purchases.

"I think this is not very likely" - It can change and does so says the king http://www.runireland.com/forums/running-talk/general-talk/gait-analysis-how-often

• Advertisement

rom wrote: »
    "I think this is not very likely" - It can change and does so says the king http://www.runireland.com/forums/running-talk/general-talk/gait-analysis-how-often

Nice maybe the king would share some of the research evidence for the effectiveness of gait analysis and shoe choice to reduce injuries with us mere mortals instead of anecdotal drivel

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

tendon wrote: »
    Nice maybe the king would share some of the research evidence for the effectiveness of gait analysis and shoe choice to reduce injuries with us mere mortals instead of anecdotal drivel

Hi tendon, we'd a decent discussion before about this there are still some open questions from that time too.

I suppose the technically best answer is to suggest that the fitting of the correct shoe minimises the risk of shoe related injuries in runners. If allowances are considered for the conditions that the person is running in such as road, off road, long / short distances, frequency you can narrow the selection down further.

Gait analysis and shoes are not a 'cure-all' and will have not effect on structural imbalances that are existing which is where the experience & ears of the analyzer are important to ask about injury history and treatment if any and to suggest other solutions if necessary.

Thanks mate im getting old and grumpier completely forgot that discussion no new thoughts from me good chat as always.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Danye

Thanks for all your help. Went into a well known shop on Parnell Street and got sorted.

Went for a run with them yesterday and they felt good. Although today my lower back is quite stiff and slightly sore.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

love running hate running... love running hate running.....

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Clearlier wrote: »

+1 on Amphibian King, myself and my wife both bought there in the last few months and are very happy with the service and products !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

I saw a new thing in Elverys yesterday calld footbalance. they analyse your feet & make custom insoles to suit.€50 ish. Anyone tried this out? he said they can go into any runner.. but surely a pair of runners that already have a high Arch (for example) would upset the insole? Would they not only be useful in flat footwear? I remember I got insoles years ago & they made the footwear feel too tight... anyone got any feedback on these?
    I might go to that shop in Parnell st for Gait Analysis instead. Need a new pair of runners anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

I saw a new thing in Elverys yesterday calld footbalance. they analyse your feet & make custom insoles to suit.€50 ish. Anyone tried this out? he said they can go into any runner.. but surely a pair of runners that already have a high Arch (for example) would upset the insole? Would they not only be useful in flat footwear? I remember I got insoles years ago & they made the footwear feel too tight... anyone got any feedback on these?
    I might go to that shop in Parnell st for Gait Analysis instead. Need a new pair of runners anyway.

ask person selling runners do they run and what club are they at. if you a no to this then find another shop.

Advertisement