Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help Fix My Hedge!

Options
  • 29-05-2012 5:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭

Hi, I have a bit of a disaster of a hedge and need some help fixing it, the next door neighbors big dog went in and ripped up the originals and now the replanted hedge is starting to grow all over the place as in the pic, so what should I do about this, would it be ok to cut much off the new plants which are in about 2 months now.

DSC_0006.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Bit thick this end :D

from the photo the mature hedge is to the right with replants to the left and the 3 first lefties looking a little thin.

what do you mean grow all over the place, bushing out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

thanks, It must be the sun! that came out completely wrong, what I meant was would it be ok to cut/trim a good bit off the mature hedge? so it grows a bit thicker all over!!! :) damn must stay out of the sun for a while !

I want a proper hedge with matching thickness and growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

If you have decided as to the length and breath and with that you want the final size of the hedge to be it should be ok to prune it back now, but I would hesitate to slash it back. Try shaping it a bit towards the final required size. That way you can practice on the older plants while the younger ones grow up. Can you do a close up photo or do you know the type of plant it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

For the newer plants..
    Keep the base clear of weeds and grass, these compete with hedges and will stunt growth by as much as 60%, I see there is some mulch there, just make sure it's kept clear..

Feed, Feed, Feed them..
    I'd be getting miracle grow and feed them every two weeks during the growing season... It will make a remarkable difference and sionce it isn't too much it wont cost a fortune either..

Thanks folks, its carpinus betulus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Hornbeam is a nice hedge (carpinus betulus).
    Does it grow faster than beech?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I'm not sure about it growing faster but it wil tolerate a wider range of soils. I'd say in poorer souls yes it would grow better than beech. Beech planted in good soil grows well but in poor or damp clay souls it will struggle.

Yes its a really nice hedge, seems to hold on to the leaves during winter also and they go a nice chocolate brown colour which is nice.

Ok I've cleared whatever weeds were tangled in with the mulch and used a bit of weed killer for the stubborn ones, also watered with some miracle grow, we shall see how things progress.

One more question, I've been training the new plants to grow straight using some bamboo, the more mature plants seem to be all over the place, is it too late to train them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Unless they are falling forwards there is no great issue about them not being straight - farmers go to great lengths to get bushes to grow at an angle (within the thickness of the hedge) to make a thicker hedge. Once you start trimming them - and I would suggest cutting the leader out immediately - they will thicken up and you will not see where the main stem is.

The small ones at this end look a bit bare stemmed, you need to trim them to get them to leaf from low down.

Advertisement