Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orthotics in DS Trainers

• 29-05-2012 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Ive a 10km race coming up next weekend and as I normally wear DS Trainers for the races (up to now not with the orthotics in them) I'm tempted put the orthotics in them for the race. Just wondering what peoples opinions are on orthotics in racing flats and how they find them during races?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

GKiraly wrote: »
    Ive a 10km race coming up next weekend and as I normally wear DS Trainers for the races (up to now not with the orthotics in them) I'm tempted put the orthotics in them for the race. Just wondering what peoples opinions are on orthotics in racing flats and how they find them during races?

Why are you thinking of putting them in for the race, do you have post race injuries?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭GKiraly

Why are you thinking of putting them in for the race, do you have post race injuries?

I wear orthotics all the time since just after xmas, been using them for training too, but havent worn them for a race yet, so just wondering would they work in racing shoes or are racing shoes best as they are without them?

Got orthotics coz I was getting too many niggles, since I got them - especially in last couple of months - have noticed massive improvement in running in terms of stride, effort and pace, so hoping to convert that to form in races. And of course, in the long term, hopefully the improvement lasts / continues!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

If you have never run with orthotics in those particular shoes then I would suggest that a race isn't the place to start...

If you have never run with orthotics in those particular shoes then I would suggest that a race isn't the place to start...

Fair point, makes sense I suppose, just thought I might have gotten away with it having worn them for months now, will give that option a miss!

But what I also had in mind with the initial query was how people find them in racing flats in general, bulky, big difference for gait/stride, or just dont make any difference at all for racing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Clearlier wrote: »

I would agree, but would add the question: have you run any races in the DS Trainers since getting the orthotics and suffered post race niggles?

If so, then I'd suggest running the race in your normal training shoes with the orthotics in.

I wouldn't race in the DSTs with orthotics until I'd tried them with them out during a few training sessions, preferably some tempo runs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

GKiraly wrote: »
    Fair point, makes sense I suppose, just thought I might have gotten away with it having worn them for months now, will give that option a miss!

But what I also had in mind with the initial query was how people find them in racing flats in general, bulky, big difference for gait/stride, or just dont make any difference at all for racing?

I think you're dodging a bullett by not wearing them in races. Orthotics are heavy and therefore add weight to your race effort. Trust me, I wore orthotics for 2 years in races(and they were very heavy insoles)and they do slow you down. So if you can get away without wearing them racing go for it.
    Just wear the racing flats as they are. Give it a go for a 5k initially, then move up the distances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

I've worn mine in racing flats. It didn't cause any problems. I doubt it would cause you any problems either but it seems like asking for trouble. Also in the back of my mind was what tunguska has pointed out. Even if they are lightweight orthotics (mine are very light) you still have that little bit of extra weight right at the bottom of your foot which you have to move backwards and forwards for c. 180 times a minute. If you're wearing racing flats then you're obviously already concerned about weight.

Hmm, some good points there, thanks, food for thought!
    have you run any races in the DS Trainers since getting the orthotics and suffered post race niggles?
    Answer = No
    I'd suggest running the race in your normal training shoes with the orthotics in.
    Tried that one a few weeks ago and it was like lead strapped to my ankles, I can see what tunguska is on bout there, so its racing flats without or without orthotics from now on!!!
    If you're wearing racing flats then you're obviously already concerned about weight.
    True, and that was the reason I made the switch to them shortly after taking up racing a few years back, and they do make a big difference, no doubt about it.
    Orthotics are heavy and therefore add weight to your race effort.
    Which is precisely my main concern.

So, I think what I may do then is, try the orthotics in the flats for tempo and see how that goes, if it goes well I may try them for a 5k, otherwise try the 5k without them. Im wearing them in my normal training shoes and I notice when I start teetering on tempo pace the weight does seem to be noticeable, makes the legs feel heavier, not greatly, but evident enough. However on the plus side, the injuries and niggles that I was getting before I got the orthotics have subsided dramatically as they appear to have improved my stride and gait somewhat.

Advertisement