Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Video Card Upgrade Advice Needed ?

Options
  • 29-05-2012 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys.
    I need some expert advice on a new GPU card, I got a decent mid spec tower recently and the specs are below, ok i need to upgrade the GPU card, but need to know what your opinions would be and what would be my best choice considering the specs and the PSU also.. the card on the machine is not too bad but i want to upgrade it to be honest..

Any information feedback would be very much appreciated, Just want to buy the best upgrade for these specs below without upgrading anything else with it, Please let me know what i should be looking out for as the best suitable GPU card for my set up.

Big thanks in advance. ;)

My Tower PC Specs As Follows:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (2400.0 MHz)
    Zalman CNPS9500 AT - Blue LED
    Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-N650SLI-DS4 (nVidia nForce 650i/750i SLI + MCP51)
    RAM: 6 GBytes (Dual-Channel) 6GB DDR2 RAM (2x2GB & 2x 1GB)
    Display Adapter: ASUS EAH4850 Asus EAH4850/HTDI/512M
    PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro, 700W
    1.5TB (3x Hard drives)
    DVD Burner
    Audio Adapter: nVIDIA MCP51 - High Definition Audio Controller ATI/AMD RV770 - High Definition Audio Controller
    Creative Audigy SE (SB0570) Sound Card
    PC Tower: Corsair Memory Special Edition White Graphite Series 600T Mid-Tower Case

Best Regards.
    ----
    Blademan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

Well we're going to need a budget, and the resolution you play at, and the games you most frequently play.

By the way, did you buy that 2nd hand? 'Cause that CPU is 5 years old :pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Blademan

Eboggles wrote: »
    Well we're going to need a budget, and the resolution you play at, and the games you most frequently play.

By the way, did you buy that 2nd hand? 'Cause that CPU is 5 years old :pac:.

Hi Eboggles.
    I use a SAMSUNG SyncMaster 2232BW set at (1680x1050), this was a Custom built all hardware is only few months old, I guess the CPU might have been placed in as temp, I'm guessing that anyway.

Not sure about budget, but fire ahead any ideas what i should be looking at (I will look for them on adverts.ie) bought this as my widows machine for software and the odd game, bought a Macbook few weeks back also so funds are low ATM, but i am thinking a few weeks time to see about what i can get??

Thanks also for the feedback. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Few months ago? That system is 5 years old atleast. ( CPU mobo ram, gpu? )

Best bet - 6870. It will fit perfectly and won't break piggy bank and 140ish eu mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

What Shadowhearth said, or the 6850 if you want something cheaper. Or the 7850 if you're willing to shell out €220+.

EDIT: Someone's selling GTX 460's on adverts. They're pretty good cards and right in your budget. Linky

Few months ago? That system is 5 years old atleast. ( CPU mobo ram, gpu? )

Best bet - 6870. It will fit perfectly and won't break piggy bank and 140ish eu mark.

Sorry the guy who built it actually just bought the hardware and built the machine, now he could have just built it for software needs like image design what i need it for, trust me when i bought it (few days ago) nothing on the machine seemed used at all.. that's what i meant by few months sorry for the miscommunication my side, :)

Eboggles wrote: »
    What Shadowhearth said, or the 6850 if you want something cheaper. Or the 7850 if you're willing to shell out €220+.

EDIT: Someone's selling GTX 460's on adverts. They're pretty good cards and right in your budget. Linky

Cheers Eboggles, now i have a model GTX 460, i will look into that one, thanks.

Again very much appreciate the feedback, well done guys, :)

• Advertisement

Also i will look into the other cards mentioned on the replies, Cheers guys, :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

how much did you pay the cowboy for your rig out of interest?

Advertisement