Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(Help) First time buying custom built PC?

Options
  • 29-05-2012 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi everyone,
    I have €900 to purchase a new PC. I don't know what to be looking for so that's why I'm here. What would you recommend for this?
    I also need to buy OS, monitor and a mouse+keyboard.

I think I'll be buying from hardwareversand.de because they do offer to put it together for a fee and everyone seems to recommend them.

The PC will primarily be for gaming.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

Would you be able to fill this out, so we have a good idea of exactly what you need. You have a few mentioned already, but there's still a few more details.

1. What is your budget? [€xxx]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/Video editing/3D Modelling/HTPC/Internet] (If gaming include which games)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes/No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Hard drive/DVD Drive/Case/PSU/etc.] (If possible state brand and model of the parts to ensure compatibility)

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes/No]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [19'/20'/22'/24'/etc.]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080/1440x900/etc.] [Yes/No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes/No]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser]

9. When are you purchasing? [In x days]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [South Dublin City/Cork City/Kerry/etc.]

• Registered Users Posts: 34 ABDublin

1. What is your budget? ~€900

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming/ Internet (Skyrim, Mass Effects, L4D2, Portal 2, Fallout NV etc)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? Yes

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No, old computer was a all-in-one waste of money

5. Do you need a monitor? Yes
    5a. If yes, what size do you need? I don't really know, would like suggestions
    5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? Last monitor was 1980x1080 and laptop is 1366x768. (New monitor does not have to be 1980x1080)

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? Keyboard, mouse and wireless card. I don't necessarily NEED speakers as I'll 99% be using headphones, but if anyone has suggestions.

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? It really depends on what other's say.

8. How can you pay? Credit card

9. When are you purchasing? During the summer

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? North Dublin city, I want to have it assembled from hardwareversand.de themselves as it'll leave me at peace, I know people say "it's easy, just like lego!" I wouldn't feel comfortable taking the risk, as silly as it sounds.

Something like this will do grand:

Item|Price
    8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€35.55
    LiteOn iHAS124-19 schwarz SATA|€17.50
    MSI R7850 TwinFrozr 2GD5/OC, 2048MB DDR5, PCI-Express|€221.76
    BitFenix Shinobi Midi-Tower USB 3.0 black, ohne Netzteil|€55.94
    MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SB-Version Englisch|€85.34
    Rechner - Zusammenbau|€20.00
    BenQ G2255|€100.98
    Intel Core i3-2120 Box, LGA1155|€106.36
    ASRock Z77 Pro4, Sockel 1155, ATX|€105.05
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W|€41.54
    Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB, SATA II (HD502HJ)|€71.26
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€880.27

All you need is a keyboard and mouse, I'm sure you can pick those out yourself. By the way, that motherboard will allow Ivy Bridge CPUs, and supports overclocking. If you get more funds before you buy, change the CPU to this.

Eboggles wrote: »
    Something like this will do grand:

Item|Price
    8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€35.55
    LiteOn iHAS124-19 schwarz SATA|€17.50
    MSI R7850 TwinFrozr 2GD5/OC, 2048MB DDR5, PCI-Express|€221.76
    BitFenix Shinobi Midi-Tower USB 3.0 black, ohne Netzteil|€55.94
    MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SB-Version Englisch|€85.34
    Rechner - Zusammenbau|€20.00
    BenQ G2255|€100.98
    Intel Core i3-2120 Box, LGA1155|€106.36
    ASRock Z77 Pro4, Sockel 1155, ATX|€105.05
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W|€41.54
    Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB, SATA II (HD502HJ)|€71.26
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€880.27

All you need is a keyboard and mouse, I'm sure you can pick those out yourself. By the way, that motherboard will allow Ivy Bridge CPUs, and supports overclocking. If you get more funds before you buy, change the CPU to this.

This seems like a viable option :) However what if I got the i5 CPU could you recommend another graphics card? Nearly €1000 just seems to be lingering at the back of my mind when I consider getting both.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

ABDublin wrote: »
    This seems like a viable option :) However what if I got the i5 CPU could you recommend another graphics card? Nearly €1000 just seems to be lingering at the back of my mind when I consider getting both.

You will lose performance in the games you've said if you drop down graphics card and up the cpu.

• Advertisement

You will lose performance in the games you've said if you drop down graphics card and up the cpu.

Yes, but the CPU won't be needing an upgrade for a long time. It is an extra €110, but fairly worth it in the long run. When you factor in OC'ing as well its an expense that is justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Yes, but the CPU won't be needing an upgrade for a long time. It is an extra €110, but fairly worth it in the long run. When you factor in OC'ing as well its an expense that is justified.

If I were buying I would definitely go for the i5 instead but then again I'm not building this :P. 2500ks are going to outlive their owners.

If I were buying I would definitely go for the i5 instead but then again I'm not building this :P. 2500ks are going to outlive their owners.

Ok I think I've been convinced then haha, Thanks so much for your help Eboggles :)

If you do decide to get the i5, just make sure it's the K version please :D.

If you do decide to get the i5, just make sure it's the K version please :D.
    I'll use the one you recommend :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I think I'll be buying from hardwareversand.de because they do offer to put it together for a fee and everyone seems to recommend them.

Thanks!

Sorry to hijack the thread but im doing something very similar myself. Do you know if they will build the PC or have a link to info on this service looking at the site i can't find anything but it is all in German

Thanks!

Sorry to hijack the thread but im doing something very similar myself. Do you know if they will build the PC or have a link to info on this service looking at the site i can't find anything but it is all in German

The "Rechner - Zusammenbau" is the service they provide to build it for you

I also was thinking of some questions to ask earlier;
    -If I choose that option will the PC come with drivers and OS installed?
    -Also will this PC be able to connect to a wireless network or will I have to buy something else for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

http://www2.hardwareversand.de/Service/746/Rechner+-+Zusammenbau.article

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

The "Rechner - Zusammenbau" is the service they provide to build it for you

I also was thinking of some questions to ask earlier;
    -If I choose that option will the PC come with drivers and OS installed?
    -Also will this PC be able to connect to a wireless network or will I have to buy something else for that?

Looks like they charge for that too, http://www2.hardwareversand.de/Service/857/Software-Installation.article

But, driver and software installation is very easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Not as far as I know but I could be wrong. With Windows 8 looming why don't you save the €85 from buying an OS - buy an i5 CPU and use someone else's disc for 180 days unactivated - save up and buy a copy of windows 8.

Apologies if that suggestion is not allowed on this forum.

Hi again everyone, sorry to bump thread but I just thought I'd say I will be using a wireless connection for this computer (will it be able to connect wirelessly as is or do I need something else?)

I did a speed test just incase that matters;
    Ping: 35ms
    Download: 21.24mbps
    Upload: 2.49mbps

thanks!

Advertisement